Electric car charge points in East Dulwich

DV77

Hi neighbours, I am testing the waters here. what's the general consensus regarding the number of available electric car charge points in our area? Would you consider buying a electric car if there were more? Please let me know your thoughts?

Drew

Put it simply, there aren?t enough anywhere in south east London - especially now the ULEZ has hit the boundary of the south circ.

I have been trying to engage with the relevant people at the council but it?s very slow progress - often taking months to get a response

And it would influence my car buying decision

One has to think of what the endgame with electric cars is. Seems to me it's a situation where every parking space in the country has access to a charging point but how do we get to that?

I think councils should carpet the country with them but not restrict use of the spaces so that conventional vehicles are still permitted to park. If they don't make them very widely available, people won't move to electric in vast numbers. If they do make them widely available but restrict usage of the spaces, there'll be utter chaos in the interim.

I don't think the current models of charging points (that of huge, obstructive posts with flashing lights) can possibly be the way to continue. I think some form of wireless, inductive charging system will have to be installed at ground level, under the parking spaces themselves or in the kerb. It's the only sensible infrastructure solution. Except no-one will have agreed on a standard for this for quite some time and the various high end manufacturers such as Porsche and Tesla understandably have different standards.

Until they all align, there's no realistic prospect of having many more charging points with current technologies because what would be the point of spending the money on something that's already out of date?

I tend to agree with worldwiser. I think new charging points would be a great idea but if all they do is just remove existing spaces then that will be a right pain. Also inconsistency between the manufacturers is an issue - Tesla for example seems focused on rolling out their own network which other cars can?t use. Incidentally we just had a trip to France and they seem to be way ahead on this with charging points all over the place.

To add, I wanted to buy an electric car at the end of 2017. I enquired about public points. There are only 8 in the whole of southwark. I do not have off street parking, so I asked if I could put a charge point in my front garden and have a cable run across the pavement (with a non trip cable tidy thing they use when digging up the pavement) while its charging. The answer was no. So I went and bought another petrol car.

I would buy a electric car tomorrow if i could charge it either at home or near work, but I can do neither. If the infrastructure was there, people would buy electric. Its up to the council now.

My understanding is that the price of using the on street chargers (like the one on Ogglander) is comparable to petrol and you?re only supposed to use the space when actively charging. We were looking at a plug-in hybrid but the logistics involved seemed to outweigh the benefit.

Not difficult to find info on line https://www.zap-map.com/pts/18dif3h/

And contact/lobby Southwark about on-street parking. Plenty of government money here

https://www.southwark.gov.uk/transport-and-roads/electric-cars

There's so much information on line, better to do your research and then share with others rather than whinge on this site

Mode shift, Zero emission cars, autonomous vehicles, and changes to ownership models are the future. You are the perfect demographic

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/724391/road-to-zero.pdf

I've been in touch with Southwark council in regards to electric charge points on our road. They were pretty quick to respond and said they have been compiling the list of potential sites and preferred lamp columns for installation of electric charge points. They've also started the site surveys and electrical testing involved for this and have said they assume completion of all sites mid September. You can email them and ask them to add your road to the potential sites.

Does this mean if there is a lamp post outside your property they want can they just take the parking space away although you might not have or want an electric car?

Losing yet more resident parking.

I have not seen any notification of surveys of potential sites and lamp columns for electric charge points.

Rather like their we want CPZ's everywhere even though you might not like one.

@DV77 my contact was Samuel Hepworth who then passed my details onto Tom Compton who was compiling the list of interested roads - [email protected]

@spider69 I don't think they are intending to put points on your road unless you express an interest. Although the bike storage units appeared on the roads without much consultation so I could be wrong.

I was looking at the cost for using the one on Ondine Road (https://www.sourcelondon.net/#rates). Based on range and charge times, a Nissan Leaf (160 mile range, 7.5 hr 7kW charge) looks like it would cost about 10p per mile and a Hyundai Ioniq Plug-In Hybrid (31 mile range, 2.5 hr 7kW charge) would be 15p per electric only mile. That makes using these charge points more expensive than petrol or diesel! Can someone let me know if I'm missing something here?

It seems hard to justify an electric vehicle if its both more expensive to buy AND more expensive to run than a conventional vehicle.

Are the Southwark sponsored ones the same or do they offer a cheaper rate?

• 1 month later...

James, Your offer seems disingenuous. Southwark Council highways team are blocking 130 charging points being deployed across Southwark. The locations have already been identified and have the required planning permissions. Southwark Labour are not managing the council to ensure these happen - https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/sep/09/sse-claims-london-councils-are-holding-up-rollout-of-electric-car-charging-points

"The Guardian understands that 130 charging points are in limbo in Southwark, a borough which is otherwise seen as good on electric cars. While the points were given planning approval in 2016, permission has not been given by highways management, meaning they cannot be installed. Planning permission expires next year."

jamesmcash Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The council is in the process of installing 50

> further charging points across the borough. If you

> have a location that you would like to suggest

> then do let me know.

Are these all going to be at the very high per minute rates as the existing ones? It seems fairly pointless if recharging an electric vehicle is as/more expensive per mile than filling a petrol car.

Dear all

James - thanks for the link, it's very interesting and something I will definitely follow up. Regarding the general provision of charging points, Southwark is the first council in London to be using the 'Go Ultra Low Carbon' (GULC) scheme to encourage residential charging of electric cars. The aim is that within three years there will be a charging point within walking distance of every Southwark resident. I do not know the details of the specific locations referenced in the Guardian article above but I am assured that the process to roll out 90-odd charging points is currently underway. I suspect that these will cover many of the locations highlighted in the article.

spider69 - When a charging point is installed in a lampost it serves up to 4 parking spaces. This means that there is no need for dedicated bays for electric vehicles, particularly while they remain relatively uncommon. Non-electric vehicles will still be able to park in the spaces by the charging point.

alex_b - The council is trialling three different payment systems to see which is most effective. I have been reassured that the cost per mile will work out as considerably cheaper than petrol but I do not have precise figures at the moment. I have asked for further information to be sent to me and I will update you when that happens.

Best wishes

James

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

As a bit more information about the costs associated with the charging points I have been told the following:

?The easiest comparison is that our best tariff is the petrol equivalent of 138 mpg and the PAYG tariff is 60 mpg. There are additional benefits of EVs such as reduced BIK tax next year, No congestion charge, reduced servicing charges and of course reduced emissions.?

Best wishes

James