Rogue moped riders operating in this area

I was buzzed twice in the space of one and a half hours tonight. Neither came to anything so I can't call them thieves but posting for awareness.

As I cycled up towards the top of Woodwarde Ave at about 8.30pm one came up very close behind and then alongside me, pushing me in towards the parked cars. I braked hard and shouted something stupid, as you do, like, 'are you trying to push me off?'. He then braked a few yards ahead and started shouting abuse at me about my '#hit bike' and me not paying road tax (hello, you can own a car and a bike). He then rode off, looking back at me from time to time. He was young, very dark skin, greyish moped, I think with an L plate on the front, a light-coloured helmet worn partly back off his head, and I think a Deliveroo box carried on the front.

Later, cycling back up CPR about 9.50pm a very similar guy, except no turquoise box, passed me two or three times driving up and down the road looking closely at everyone he passed.

I assumed the first one was going for my bike panier, but like I said, nothing was taken so I could be wrong. I suppose it could even have been sexual - female in a pretty dress seen from behind, so he wouldn't see I'm older at first. Theft more likely though.

Tried calling 101 twice, once at DLC (thank you to the very nice girls on reception tonight) and once when I got home, but couldn't get through so gave up. I've tried the online tool a couple of times before and it seems to be a dead end or placebo.

Getting really tired of all the antisocial behaviour every day. If anyone knows of a campaign to fix the policing crisis without actually joining a right wing party, please tell me.

And be careful out there.

This happens on a regular basis where I live, too (SE19). They wear scarves to cover their faces, and black out their number plates while doing wheelies and weaving in and out of the traffic and generally intimidating people. They're total idiots. I was advised to def call the police in future. But by the times you've pulled over, got through to the police they're long gone - and with no number plate?? They're untouchable and they know it.

Really sorry to hear about this RPC, just horrible. No suggestions for fixing the policing crisis apart from the Tories give back the ?600M they've cut from the Met budget since 2010 and scratch the ?400M more cuts they want by 2021.

On a personal protection level, worth considering one of these? https://www.thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140-new These [expletive deleted] are cowards at base, if they're threatening you a good loud noise might a) get them on the run and b) attract the attention of others - I've seen these in action and the decibel level is very impressive.

Take Note Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it needs a bit more than loud alarms, RH. But

> thanks for your input.

> As ever - evading the real matter at hand - may

> work in Norfolk. Would be shit all use in Croydon,

> love.

I was not - as you doubtless know - suggesting that it would put an end to moped crime, nor was I evading the issue. I was suggesting it might be helpful in terms of personal protection to draw the attention of other citizens, like a personal protection alarm. Love.

Yep. Above all true. My missus was buzzed, today Saturday at 12pmish on Townley Road near Alleyns whilst out walking with our two toddlers. One rider, all black outfit, black moped and a fluro best. Black scarf round the face. Quiet st and stopped right opposite looking at her iPhone before deciding against doing it. Someone should get a Mad Max hitman to pop them all.

No amount of police will stop this - the thugs target London...although the drug dealers are spreading out more. The hotspots appear to be backstreets where the thugs know there are no cops. It doesn't help that when some are caught they are let out on bail...never to be seen again

I think you're taking rather a pessimistic view, uncleglen. More police on the street, both on foot and in cars, a properly staffed phone line so people actually get an answer and some immediate action, and a law that states anyone who gets hurt in the course of committing a crime, including if they take off their helmet then fall off, is automatically to blame for their own injury.

dmcd808 Wrote:

> saudi style capital punishment is the only

> deterrent when you are dealing with people who

> have no conscious consequences for their actions.

By jingo yes, public beheadings, stonings and amputations in front of baying crowds are the only way to build a kinder and more peaceful society, the sooner the better.

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."

Mine's just a simple panic button that makes a loud noise, bit like having a rape alarm on your phone, but there are other apps out there that you can set up to send your GPS location to nominated contacts and call emergency services for you. It looks like some of them you could set up to activate by voice or shaking the phone. Might have to get one of those.

JohnL Wrote:

> Reports of police knocking them off and chasing

> them now. A Sainsbury's lorry also crossed the

> road to block another lot (don't think citizens

> can run into them but you can block them)

Police officers are being incredibly brave when they do this, especially because they are operating under the same ?rules? as you and I.

?A person may use such force as is reasonable in the circumstances in the prevention of crime or in arresting offenders or suspects.? (Criminal Law Act 1967)

If someone deliberately knocks a villain off a bike, that someone has to be able to justify why that action was reasonable, e.g. that not taking that step would have placed other people in danger. The guys in uniform put both their careers and their personal liberty on the line when they do it, just like they do with lots of other daily operational events. Hats off to them.

Hats off also to the quick thinking Sainbury?s driver. Thanks for relating that part of the story!

I wouldn?t advise having your phone on view on the street to be honest.

Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> Mine's just a simple panic button that makes a

> loud noise, bit like having a rape alarm on your

> phone, but there are other apps out there that you

> can set up to send your GPS location to nominated

> contacts and call emergency services for you. It

> looks like some of them you could set up to

> activate by voice or shaking the phone. Might have

> to get one of those.

yeknomyeknom Wrote:

> I wouldn?t advise having your phone on view on the

> street to be honest.

>

> Robert Poste's Child Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Mine's just a simple panic button that makes a

> > loud noise, bit like having a rape alarm on

> your

> > phone, but there are other apps out there that

> you

> > can set up to send your GPS location to

> nominated

> > contacts and call emergency services for you.

> It

> > looks like some of them you could set up to

> > activate by voice or shaking the phone. Might

> have

> > to get one of those.

Every time someone says that I have to say I won't be cowed - no point in having a mobile if you can't use it :)

Don't text whilst walking is better advice IMHO - stop and note whats around you before using your phone - or hands free.

Similar thing happened to me a few weeks back on the Brockley Rise/ Honor Oak junction at about 6pm. I was waiting to cross at the traffic lights. Group of lads on mopeds and quad, scarves over face etc. Revving their engines and excitedly talking about having mine or other bags. A lady on the opposite side of the road looked at me when it was time to cross in front of them as we were both clearly concerned about what was going to happen. I did cross in front of them and then scooted around the corner and put my bag behind me to the wall until they went off.

I probably shouldn't have risked crossing but I really didn't want to be intimidated by them.

The posts about cycling does make me concerned about my pannier bag now......any more tips on what can be done to stay safer? Clip the pannier bag on the inside nearest the pavement rather than on the right? Anyone know of any alarms that easily attach to the handle bars?

The horn I mentioned above https://www.thehornit.com/the-hornit-db140-new fixes to the bars as easily as a light and has a separate thumbswitch which can be placed right under your thumb so it can be used without moving away from the brakes. At 140db it's as loud as a rape alarm and louder than the level recommended by the Suzy Lamplugh Trust. Think it would certainly give them pause for thought and attract the attention of others.

I don't usually use panniers (consider a backpack maybe?) but when I have I've always put a single on the inside anyway to reduce the risk of it being clipped by close passers. If you have a flexible lock (or you can get a really cheap one if all you want it to do is prevent grabbers) might be worth locking your pannier to your rack - there are a number of specifically-designed things such as https://www.evanscycles.com/ortlieb-ql2-anti-theft-device-EV187609