Roads in SE22 not underneath flight path (do they exist?)

klove

Sorry to start another plane thread but here goes...

We live on Pellatt Road, the Landcroft Road side, and the planes are a constant roar at the moment. We're right underneath this 'road' for planes. Was talking to someone who lives on Woodwarde Road who was puzzled at my plane hatred as they don't have any over them.

Do you live on such a quiet, lovely road? (And are there any houses for sale?!)

If they are at the Village end of Woodwarde I think being in the bowl of the (slight) hills around the village protect from the noise. I used to live in Aysgarth road in the village and didn't notice the planes, I now live less than a mile away but up the hill and am really bothered by them. Pellat is also on a bit of a hill isn't it?

I?m at the Horniman End of Underhill Road too. All I would suggest is if you have a problem with aircraft noise in East Dulwich is do not move to West London under any circumstances. I lived in Chiswick for ten years and don?t even notice the planes over ED. Motor traffic on the other hand...

Aircraft noise covers a wide area - when the first sound of a Heathrow-bound aircraft is heard in SE22 it is usually over the Greenwich Park vicinity, and the majority of aircraft heard in East Dulwich are directly above an area between Camberwell Green and Burgess Park, so discussion about which particular street in ED they affect is largely irrelevant.

If you want to see exactly where the culprits are at any given moment try one of the flight tracking apps such as "www.flightradar24.com"

I'm also at the end of underhill, I sorta got used to the planes and not really disturbed by them, i quite like the small jets that come over from city airport now and again.... then again I was brought up a few miles down the road from Luton airport, and also worked at Heathrow for a couple of years, so probably immune to the noise.... I think ED is quieter than some parts of London...I guess the noise if found annoying is hard to get away from to be honest in most parts

Anyone in SE22 who thinks plane noise is just restricted to Camberwell probably lives on one of those roads I'd like to move to!

Friends who live on Goodrich aren't really that impacted, and Woodwarde Road was blissfully quiet when we were there last Monday. So I think it is really localised.

The idea of quieter areas over the Dulwich valley is likely more to do with spot perception than averaged reality. Flightradar shows alot of variation on turns into the final heathrow approach - a "cloud" over the whole area.

Tractorlad Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I was in Kew Gardens recently. If you think

> aircraft noise is bad in SE22, you've not heard

> anything!

My in-laws lived in East Sheen and when Concorde flew past the windows visibly shook, I regularly visit Kew gardens and you can almost wave at the pilots flying overhead.....

We all know plane noise is bad elsewhere. I would never move to East Sheen / Barnes / Kew because of it. We moved to ED about 8 years ago, and plane noise has definitely got worse since then. A Hacan study recently proved that there was an

'Increased concentration of flights has taken place in recent years. More than ever, flights are being guided through ?concentrated corridors? which means particular communities are especially badly hit.'

http://hacan.org.uk/category/latest-news/

Anyhow, this thread is about roads in SE22 that are quieter then others. They do exist!

I think it really is a matter of personal perception. I have lived towards the Forest Hill end of Underhill for 30 years (which, when I started, had the glorious Concorde over-flying - such a beauty if noisy) - I am only normally aware of aircraft noise when reading posts like this. It really doesn't bother me. Which is not to say that others don't find it excruciating. Occasionally, in the garden, I do have to wait for an aircraft to pass to continue a conversation, but, as I have said, it isn't a problem, for me.

For others I know it is, and the very fact of it being a problem then exacerbates the problem it is.

There may well be some roads quieter than others, but flight paths change and wind sheer can move noise. If you think aircraft noise is a problem, then it is, and thinking you will hide from it somewhere in SE22 is probably not realistic.

FightingFit Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I used to live in Kew... and frankly find the

> comments regarding aircraft noise here in SE22

> ridiculous

I used to live in Richmond.

Just because a situation is worse somewhere else does not mean that it is not bad here.

I live in Woodwarde and there is a fair amount of aircraft noise but I tend to blank it out unless there is a special reason (eg reading these posts). The noisiest, probably because lower, are the ones landing at City Airport.

The absence of aircraft noise was also very obvious when flights were stopped during the icelandic volcano eruption.

Out of interest the Heathrow airport web site gives quite a lot of operational data

https://www.heathrow.com/noise/reports-and-statistics/operational-data

eg for 2017 Western arrivals (the ones that go over Dulwich) you can see the tracks at https://www.heathrow.com/file_source/HeathrowNoise/Static/arr_west_2017.pdf

They don't seem to have changes much since 2013 (earliest map on the site)