Hard Times in East Dulwich

SimonM

Hi,

I was in Somerfield last night and saw a pack of ten Boddingtons Beers, by the checkout for 1.29!!! they are reduced and need to be opened by the end of November!

I now know what I can give the children for breakfast Ha Ha!

Remember, drink resposibly, give the family one to share, and have the other nine for yourself.

PS They make a good contribution to Beef and Ale pie.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

macroban Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I've seen pensioners at the meat shelves in

> Iceland picking up a pack of meat and, having seen

> the price, put it back on the shelf.

you sure its the price and not the product.

Have done that myself on many an occasion, (usually followed by the word, "Wot is it made of gold? I want it dancing for me at that price!", there is something wrong about having to basically take out a mortgage to get a decent piece of meat nowadays that really bothers me (and have you seen the price of a lump of cheese!), so we are now going veggie/semi veggie, so its not only old aged pensioners who do that anymore!

I've noticed the prices of lamb/chicken/beef really zooming up, but usually there will be something on special, so I basically plan my menu for the week around whatever the special is at any given time.

Or we go to Lidls where I have got some great deals on lamb!

Which reminds me, according to "which" magazine, the mince pies from Aldi are better quality than those from Harrods!

microbite Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Have done that myself on many an occasion,

> (usually followed by the word, "Wot is it made of

> gold? I want it dancing for me at that price!",

> there is something wrong about having to basically

> take out a mortgage to get a decent piece of meat

> nowadays that really bothers me (and have you seen

> the price of a lump of cheese!), so we are now

> going veggie/semi veggie, so its not only old aged

> pensioners who do that anymore!

Whilst feeling the effects of recession rather hard, I still shake my head when I hear people argue for cheaper meat. Our grandparents bought one large joint a week and made it last through frugal cooking and being shrewd. Cold cuts, stews, pies and casseroles all being employed to eek out meagre amounts of meat.

Advocating lowering animal welfare standards and employing industrial farming methods to produce anaemic chickens at ?2.50 a pop though seems to be a false economy.

I say all become vegetarian, its much cheaper and no animal then has to live in squaller and you wont eat meat injected with hormones and water! I got a pack of lentils today that if I ate them for dinner every night would last me a week and it cost me 89p, chuck in a can of tomatos, some chillis, a bit of veggie stock and your done - its bloomin lovely!

Word of advice though is to have some windeze on hand! >:D<

hey matham

quinoa is a fantastic option, its cheap (about 1.?? a box and that would easily last a person 6 meals) if you roast some veg and then mix is all together (cous cous is also an option if you prefer) and as with lentils it is super high in protein it makes you feel fuller for longer, halumi and aubergine curry - 200gms halumi, 1 medium aub and some curry powder - feeds 2, hot and sour soup - veggie stock, tom yam paste, some mushrooms and spring onions, pinch of sugar and a splash of lime juice and bob's your uncle you have a fantastic winter warming soup, a warm salad - lettuce, cherry toms, sweet pepper, green olives then fry up a mung bean mix (get it from the fruit guy on northcross) and add a couple pieces of halumi and vwala you have a fantastically filling, cheap and warm dinner..

There are so many healthy, yummy cheap meals you can make being a veggie..

Funnily enough, had quinoa the other night (albeit with lamb). Delicious. I'll try the other ones too; thanks.

Re: meat prices, I kind of agree with David, though it would be nice if the price was stable and not actually rising. So what about recipes for the more frugal cuts? or is that a bit too sing-along-a-war-years for everyone? I have a couple of nice rabbit recipes I could share (sorry Strawbs)

>>I'm not sure if that's implying the truffles are cheap or expensive? I'm guessing that's quite good, no? <<

You are probably right. And I guess 100gms of them would go a long way. Any implication was to their very presence in ED - the fact that there is perceived to be a amrket for them here...

Hard times indeed, just like the WW2 it seems.

On the way to get my hair cut on Saturday down Lordship Lane, I saw, with my very own eyes, people queuing down the road for bread, meat and fish. Took me back 60 odd years, well it would have done if I was that old. The queuing seemed quite orderly and polite. Didn't see any ration books though, but maybe its more like Eastern Europe in the early 90s...

Second Cate's recommendation for 101cookbooks. I love that site! The recipes are really imaginative and the photography is gorgeous.

I'm veggie too, but on the meat side, the River Cottage shows (most recently 'RC Autumn') are good at discussing cheaper cuts of meat and what you can do with them. Plus Abel & Cole recently sent out an email on getting more meals from your organic chicken, plus other well-priced meaty meals: Abel & Cole recipes

E

Eliz

Yes, the photography is great!

There is a good sprout recipe on 101cookbooks.com that I keep making over and over. Golden crusted sprouts with cheese. I also tried the Liven yourself up Lentil Soup last night, but added garlic and served with poached egg the first time and then with couscous the second time. It also has a gluten free section for anyone who needs to go that route.

Eliz

It seems to make a difference to the taste depending on what cheese you use. I have tried Gouda, a Swiss Cheese I can't remember the name of but purchased from Mons at Borough Market, Cheddar and a Parmesan. I have also used different frying pans and that alters the taste. You should go for the smallest sprouts available. The overall taste of the sprouts is nice and nutty. There's also another sprout recipe on the same site I haven't tried yet but intend to.