Forum Sponsors

https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos
xxxx
http://www.gardenia-gardens.com

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
messageRe: Maria's Tortilla - East Dulwich.
Posted by geh November 13, 08:11PM

popped in Sunday night, lovely couple of glasses of wine and some v tasty quite rustic (NB this is a compliment) tapas.

Think it needs a bit of work, music was quiet, and card machine not working (a number of people walked away on reading this) but sure these teething issues will be sorted out soon. Will def go back and would recommend a visit.

Posted by cohen22 November 15, 09:41PM

Thoroughly enjoyed the food. Reasonable too. A bit lacking in atmosphere and the décor needs finishing. Obviously a work in progress! One with though, I hope, a bright future.

Posted by d.b November 15, 09:43PM

I agree, was very nice. Style feels like a proper little Spanish bar with tapas, I think it'll be great in summer.

Posted by madger November 16, 02:16PM

I passed this yesterday and thought it looked nice so recommended it to someone I had staying, who fancied a glass of wine and some light food. She said that despite there only being about two people inside, when she sat down the woman behind the bar didn’t acknowledge her at all or come to ask her if she’d like anything in the 10 minutes she was sitting there, on her own. So after 10 morning minutes of waiting awkwardly, she left and went somewhere else. I think a tapas bar is a great addition to LL so am leaving this post in the spirit of hopefully helpful feedback and hope things improve, it looks cosy.

Posted by bonaome November 17, 11:32AM

If the woman behind the bar was Spanish, she was fully expecting your visitor friend to go up to the bar and order when she'd made her mind up, and was respectfully leaving her be, whilst she sorted herself out and made some decisions.

Posted by fishbiscuits November 17, 05:40PM

But we're not in Spain.

Ordering food at the bar is not the norm here. If they expect customers to do so, they need to make it clear.

If a genuine customer went in and left without eating or drinking anything, it's pretty hard to argue that they've not done anything wrong.

Posted by bonaome November 17, 06:51PM

Wrong?
They've missed out on a sale. I don't think it was an act of moral turpitude.

We do order food at the bar here, all the time - it's the norm in bars, you order at the counter. Maybe not so much in ED? They probably think of themselves as a (tapas) bar, rather than as a restaurant. But I'm sure they'll adapt soon enough and work out how "Spanish" they can be; the fact that we are not in Spain, notwithstanding.

My only fear is that the beer might be cold and good and the food might be tasty. If it is, unfortunately, that's my bank account in absolute tatters.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 17, 06:55pm by bonaome.

Posted by The Elusive Shadow November 18, 03:43PM

Went twice this weekend and loved it. Great vibe, great food and certainly didnt have any issues with service. Reasonably priced too. Great addition to LL

Posted by PSJ November 23, 01:03PM

Another welcome addition to the mEDitterranean feel of Lordship Lane smiling smiley

Posted by Duncs November 23, 03:35PM

Does anyone know their opening hours? They don’t seem to have a website or even a telephone number that I can find online. I’m wondering if they’re open at 5pm...

Posted by bonaome November 23, 05:20PM

11-11 every day except Sun, 11-10. Closed Tuesdays.

Posted by derwentgrove November 23, 06:29PM

This place is fun. More of a Spanish bar that does tapas than a restaurant but none the worse for that. Maria is friendly and attentive. The wine was good when we dropped in on Weds and the food was tasty. We do lack bars in ED so this feels like a welcome addition.

Posted by Otto2 November 23, 07:58PM

Absolutely adore. Just what ED needs - not pretentious in any way - just delicious and relaxing.

Posted by geh November 24, 10:27PM

went back tonight for a couple of glasses of wine and a plate or two.

frankly this is one of the best new restaurants in town, no pretension, honest food, and no compromise. just perfect. Sat at the bar with my back to the window and was transported to a warmer more relaxed place. absolutely spot on.

Posted by bonaome November 25, 09:13AM

Went in last night with the Mrs. Nice atmosphere. Friendly staff. Nice wine and cocktails, tapas good. Beer by the cańa. Great. Will be back regularly.

Posted by AdrianB November 25, 09:23AM

Love it! Food, drinks, the welcome and the service were all wonderful. Particularly good were the chorizo in cider and the Santiago tart. Look forward to spending many an hour here. Best of luck, Maria & Co!

Posted by jalongy November 25, 04:11PM

Went here today for the first time. A superb addition to the foodie end of Lordship Lane. Great atmosphere and food and coffee excellent

Posted by urbanfox November 26, 11:37AM

sounds great - does anyone know if there's a limit re kids in the evenings - ie do they have to be out by 7pm? (unlikely we'd be in much past that anyway but would be good to know if there was!)

Posted by Stalkey December 05, 08:48AM

4 of us spent the evening at Maria’s last Friday. We ate ‘til we burst and had a great evening. Maria was charming. Our waitress was Spanish (who would have thought?!) and very attentive. We ordered at the bar which in fact was helpful as we got to chat to the staff in the kitchen who explained a few dishes to us and we will definitely be going back.
What’s not to like? Good luck to a lovely new addition to LL!

Posted by rahrahrah December 05, 12:02PM

derwentgrove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This place is fun. More of a Spanish bar that does
> tapas than a restaurant but none the worse for
> that.

This is what Tapas should be - it sounds great. Will be visiting soon.

Posted by goldilocks December 05, 12:47PM

Does anyone know what the opening times are on a Friday please? Can't see a website yet.

Posted by rendelharris December 05, 12:57PM

goldilocks Wrote:
> Does anyone know what the opening times are on a
> Friday please? Can't see a website yet.

Google says 11-11 every day except 10.30 Sundays, closed Tuesdays.

Posted by goldilocks December 05, 05:23PM

Thanks very much - Miss Tapas closes at 3 and doesn't reopen until 6pm so this will fill that gap nicely!

Posted by AC1964 Yesterday, 10:22AM

Been twice in the past few weeks and, in a word, su-blimmin'-perb!

Posted by Mick Mac Yesterday, 03:14PM

goldilocks Wrote:
> Thanks very much - Miss Tapas closes at 3 and
> doesn't reopen until 6pm so this will fill that
> gap nicely!

You want to eat Tapas all day long?

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum