Credit Card charges on Lordship Lane

Al&Em

A well established Lordship Lane business (I won't name them) keeps trying to charge me credit card fees to use my card, which was outlawed in January - I've told them a few times and each time the fee is waived but the same thing is tried next time I'm in.

Anyone else come across this in local shops - interested if this is widespread or a one off at this place.

yes - those are the rules (MSE link).

It was for over ?100, so not contactless-able (if that's a word).

People can be alerted without me naming the business (maybe this will help), alertness applies across any transaction not just at this establishment.

Quick email to Trading Standards?

Al&Em Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> A well established Lordship Lane business (I won't

> name them) keeps trying to charge me credit card

> fees to use my card, which was outlawed in January

> - I've told them a few times and each time the fee

> is waived but the same thing is tried next time

> I'm in.

> Anyone else come across this in local shops -

> interested if this is widespread or a one off at

> this place.

Whilst it is now illegal to charge differentially for use of a credit card, I do feel slightly sorry for small traders who have to pay quite high fees (compared with major companies and chains competing with them) to their credit card charge agency. I try, wherever possible, to use a debit card (charges are lower) for these transactions. But where they do try to charge, that is clearly now illegal. And where I need the protection (for high value purchases) of buying by credit card I will also use that.

East Dulwich Dental Care on Forest Hill Road always used to charge ?1 card fee regardless of the amount. It always pissed me off no end and I was just waiting for the law to come into effect so I could smugly refuse to pay it, only they'd already stopped charging it by the time I went in. Doh!