Advice needed - noisy (retail) neighbours

JW

Hi team,

I live next door to a takeaway, with indoor and outdoor seating. Same old story... it's the summer and windows are open. My bedroom is on the street and the proprietors sit outside (because it's too hot inside due to the cooking) all day and until 22.30-23.00 in the evening, talking loudly and chatting to passers-by. They sit on their property, but sound carries. I know my options are limited, but I have to get up early for work and I'm struggling to sleep. They also smoke out there and that drifts up to my bedroom. I'm going to have a chat to them before speaking to the council, but before I do I wanted to check his license. I've searched on the Southwark Council site and I can't find it. Should I be looking under his original planning application? I'm not sure what a takeaway (not serving alcohol) would come under.

Any advice / suggestions welcome!

Thanks team,

A very tired, a slightly grumpy JW

Not sure you can do much, like you say they are not behaving particularly unreasonably, they have business that's open at those times and they are on their property talking (i.e. not playing loud music, constant hammering, or anything that's obviously "unusual" noise).

I suggest you invest in a pair of earplugs.

If it's just a takeaway which isn't selling alcohol or providing entertainment, they probably don't have/need a premises licence, unless they're serving hot food between 11pm and 5am, which would be licensable as 'late night refreshment'. They might be registered as a food business with the Council, but I don't know how you'd check this - Environmental Health, maybe? The friendly chat is probably the way to go in the first instance!

Thanks both for your thoughts. I?ll see how things go over the coming days and make a decision. The last thing I want is ill feeling, so leaving it (and praying for rain) might be the right thing.