Forum Sponsors

https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos
xxxx
http://www.ellyallen.com/

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Coffee tastes best at... Blue Mountain? Caffe Nero? The East Dulwich Cafe?
Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensary
Posted by malcolmchurch October 05, 11:44AM

Live in Dawson Heights, Overhill Road......great news, will pop in later today, and don't forget P13 bus also stops outside

Posted by DulwichBD October 07, 07:21PM

Thanks to everyone who popped in over the last few days. We hope you had as much fun as we did! Hope to see you all again soon smiling smiley
The DBD team x

Posted by DulwichBD October 08, 02:47PM

Just to keep you all in the loop regarding our food offer... From this week we will have the magnificent Stranger Naans guys providing delicious meals every Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 5pm onwards and on Saturdays from midday 'til late. Sundays, Mondays and Tuesdays from Sunday 14th October we will have local foodsters Taco De Planta serving up their gorgeous Tacos. If you have any questions feel free to drop us a line at DBD@southeybrewing.co.uk.

Much love,

The DBD team x

Posted by malumbu October 18, 06:34PM

Without getting into discussion about the success of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to direct me to any other relevant thread. The Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be popular enough and I had the odd drink in the garden.

Posted by ruffers October 19, 09:13AM

I've popped in a couple of times so far, so far so good.
Not the finished article as they say but a nice space, feels very different to me from the Barcelona days, and a lovely few beers in my experience.

Hopefully it does OK.

Posted by OutOfFocus October 19, 08:28PM

Can anyone recall what the place was before Barcelona.

Posted by LoulaRose October 19, 09:02PM

It was a restaurant called Flashmans. I was a young girl when I went there with my family but remember great burgers, steak, ice cream sundaes and a wonderful antique apothecary cabinet as the backdrop.

Posted by Siduhe October 19, 09:21PM

Iíve been told that a long while before that it was a old school pharmacy - thatís where the cabinet came from.

Posted by Applespider October 20, 12:06AM

And the cabinet is still there.

Iíve been in a couple of times since they opened and each time, every other person who arrived at the bar commented how great it was to be able to get a drink locally.

Think it will take some time to establish itself and then, I guess weíll see if there would enoughdenand for the far bigger Grove to re-open. I canít see that as a bar/restaurant only but could have seen it as an inn with rooms until the two proposals for hotels at Forest Hill went in

Posted by EDOldie October 26, 03:47PM

I'm sure it was another restaurant or wine bar before Flashmans but can't remember the name. The original Flashmans was smaller and they built the wrap around extension at the front. Nice guy ran it, Graham?

Anyway me and MrsOldie popped in the other day to give it a go and we were a bit underwhelmed. The beer wasn't great and the place looked like it could do with a good clean. I'm very glad it's there mind and I'll definitely go back. Maybe I just had a flat pint.

Posted by Penguin68 October 26, 04:48PM

After Flashman's for about 2 years or so it was La Pharmacie - a quasi French-ish bistro sort of place; generally good but I remember some diabolical over-cooked and dried out Cromer crab there. Then the Barcelona chain took the premises over. I agree that the extension to the front was done whilst it was still Flashman's - I can remember the before and after. I think the Flashman's owner/ manager continued to live over the premises for some time. It was Flashman's 30 years ago when I moved to the area.

Posted by rahrahrah October 30, 06:21AM

malumbu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Without getting into discussion about the success
> of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that
> the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please to
> direct me to any other relevant thread. The
> Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to be
> popular enough and I had the odd drink in the
> garden.

It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence itís being allowed to deteriorate to the point where people are begging for it to be knocked down.

Posted by Sue November 19, 04:06PM

rahrahrah Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> malumbu Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Without getting into discussion about the
> success
> > of the Beer Dispensary is this a good sign that
> > the Grove Tavern could be made to work? Please
> to
> > direct me to any other relevant thread. The
> > Harvester was not my cup of tea, but seemed to
> be
> > popular enough and I had the odd drink in the
> > garden.
>
> It could work, but more profitable as flats. Hence
> itís being allowed to deteriorate to the point
> where people are begging for it to be knocked
> down.

There is currently a sign outside the Grove saying it is a pub lease to let, or words to that effect?

Posted by Applespider November 19, 06:23PM

Incidentally for those in the area, thereís a sign outside DBD saying they are starting a pub quiz on Weds evenings.

Posted by HelBel65 November 20, 01:50PM

This place is great. Fantastic beer selection, friendly staff. When we went last week there was a pop up menu by Stranger Naans (home made flatbreads & wraps) - turns out they're going to be there daily from tomorrow onwards which is great news because the food was ace!

[www.strangernaans.co.uk]

messageRe: Dulwich Beer Dispensaryattachment
Posted by DulwichBD December 06, 03:55PM

Hey folks,

In case you weren't aware, our first ever Stand-up Open Mic Night is tonight at 8pm! We have the magnificent Sophie Ings running the show and have at least 5 great acts on the stage. Entrance is completely free and Stranger Naans have just launched their brand new expanded menu so it's a great time to check us out! If anyone would like to book a table just give us a call on 02070188586.

Much love,

The DBD crew xx

Attachments: LaughmanstandingposterJPEG.jpg (411.5KB)  
Posted by se22cat December 06, 06:08PM

It's really nice to hear the place is doing well and having events that the local community can enjoy, well done to the team!

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum