Travelling from ED to Stansted airport early weekday

Need to be at Stansted for a 10 am flight on a Tuesday morning .Guidance is to be at airport at 8am .

LT planner suggests overground to Whitechapel or Thameslink to Farringdon and tube to Liverpool St and then train to Stansted .

Does anyone know which offers least walking /easiest interchange ?

It sounds a bit like hard work.

Anyone any idea of taxi cost ? Should we use Uber ?

Any advice gratefully received .

Farringdon's step-free access but Whitechapel underground isn't, so Farringdon your best bet if you do the train. An Uber would cost around ?80 as opposed to ?19 (less with concessions) on the train and wouldn't really be much quicker. Alternatively, you could go to Victoria and get the coach for ?11, though I don't know how reliable the timetable is in rush hour.

Can think of two other options but they might take slightly longer

42 bus from ED goes to Liverpool Street and then the train. Fewer steps and changes potentially but not sure how long the first bus might take - possibly an hour tho at 6ish might not be too bad.

Or bus/ taxi to Brixton, Victoria line to Tottenham Hale and get on Stansted train there. But suspect that route has a few sets of stairs.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

>

> Was googling buying lira earlier ,until I realised

> it would be Euros !

It's usually cheaper to just get cash out at a cash machine when you land. Make sure you don't select the "pay in ?" option as that's a massive (5-9%) rip off.

Getting the 42 will be by far the longest route to get there. Even on the timetable it's around an hour.

By far the fastest is ED -> London Bridge -> Moorgate (Northern Line) -> Walk (5 minutes)

Yes, you can get a tube from Moorgate but the platform changes and getting out at Liverpool St will put a surprising amount of time on that walk

Personally (I've just done this in both directions), I get the bus from outside London Bridge

Uber will, of course, be the easiest.

FWIW The coach also goes from Liverpool Street (and Stratford). If you return outside of busy times (ie after 7pm) it can be faster back into town. And much cheaper

anthonyqkiernan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Getting the 42 will be by far the longest route to

> get there. Even on the timetable it's around an

> hour.

>

> By far the fastest is ED -> London Bridge ->

> Moorgate (Northern Line) -> Walk (5 minutes)

> Yes, you can get a tube from Moorgate but the

> platform changes and getting out at Liverpool St

> will put a surprising amount of time on that walk

>

> Personally (I've just done this in both

> directions), I get the bus from outside London

> Bridge

>

> Uber will, of course, be the easiest.

>

>

> FWIW The coach also goes from Liverpool Street

> (and Stratford). If you return outside of busy

> times (ie after 7pm) it can be faster back into

> town. And much cheaper

Agree about the 42 for most of the day, but catch it from Goose Green before 0630 and it takes a shade over 30 minutes.

Taking the bus in the small hours is surprisingly quick. It's after about 0730 that journey times practically double.

I agree with Applespider. I have always taken a bus to Vauxhall or Brixton and then caught the Victoria line to Tottenham Hale to pick up the train from there. It's only about 20 minutes from Vauxhall to Tottenham Hale whereas I have found the so called Stansted Express is very slow into Liverpool Street from there. There is little walking but some stairs whereas the 40 turns off before Liverpool Street at, I believe, Leadenhall street leaving about 600 yards to walk to the station.

I did this journey a few weeks back. Took the 78 bus from the stop at Peckham Rye/East Dulwich Road straight to Liverpool Street and then the train. It was pretty early so the bus took about 40 mins, TFL said 50 mins but I left extra time as they always seem to be digging up the roads somewhere! It wasn't the quickest option but I didn't have to worry about changing or stairs so it suited me well.

A friend recently did this journey to Stanstead and also got Victoria line from Brixton to Tottemham Hale (no changes, 25mins) and then pick up the Stanstead Express from TH

i hadn't though of that before, but Liverpool Street is hard to get to so i had preasviously avoided Stansead completley as its a pain to get to, but might reconsider now.