Barclays Bank Lordship Lane

DulwichFox

Barclays Bank Lordship Lane reopened this morning.

There is a notice on the door that says that Staff have NO access to any cash.

Cash can only be accessed from instore cash machines which are different to the usual ATM's

and seem to offer larger withdrawal amounts and you can chose what denominations you want.

There are two counters. One for Business customers and one for Disabled customers.

Wednesday is now early closing 13.30pm

Counter Facilities are available in Peckham Rye Lane BUT both Branches at 28 and 223-229

will also be closing on Fri. 7th December 2018 and a New Branch will be opening on Mon. 10th Dec.

at 147-149 Rye Lane. This new branch will be the same format as the new Lordship Lane Branch.

DulwichFox

The banks' customer service has gone down the pan! Most banks I think.... At least the ones I use!

One thing that I find really irritating is when calling the banks you tend to speak to people all over the world other than in the uk!

I recently opened an account for my son at metro bank.... I rather like their system.

So far we have only deposited money in my sons account..... So far so good.

Plus point.... They open until late in the evening & weekends & bank holidays!

So, can non-business and/or non-disabled customers still pay into their accounts or transfer money or pay bills?

And what happens if your card is lost, stolen or damaged? - you can't draw cash till you receive a replacement?

Surely some services have to be provided for the standard customer?

Sweetgirl.

Try First Direct.

Or M&S Bank.

They both have excellent customer service (in my experience) and they both seem to have customer service centres based in the UK.

First Direct did have a really good deal for new customer, though it may have finished (no use to me, I've been with them for decades). If you need an actual physical bank branch, you can use the Post Office.

And with M&S you get points to spend in M&S (and also there was a very good deal if you already have a credit card with them, but that may have finished now as well).

Banking is so complicated these days. I used to have just one current account, and now I've got four or five, moving money around between them :))

Tigres Pride Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So, can non-business and/or non-disabled customers

> still pay into their accounts or transfer money or

> pay bills?

> And what happens if your card is lost, stolen or

> damaged? - you can't draw cash till you receive a

> replacement?

> Surely some services have to be provided for the

> standard customer?

The new 'ATM' has a paying -in option. ?? I believe

Someone yesterday was trying to feed it with coins .. but you cannot do that.

There is another Machine which has been in other ?? branches for some time

that allows you to manage your accounts.. transfer money.. print statements..

but that takes a lot of time and there is only one machine and if there is a queue

your going to have to wait a l-o-n-g time.

People drawing out money yesterday needed assistance to use the new machines.

So many options and menus to go through. A degree in I.T. might help.

No idea how you can pay bills ??

Probably could do with a Bank Transfer from one of the machines if you know the sort codes.

If you have several bills, again you could be there a long time.

Very poor service. Not Happy.

DulwichFox

There used to be two classes - the banked and the unbanked - now there are three, the IT savvy, smartphone owning banked - who can manage most transactions on-line - my bank even allows for paying in cheques over a smart phone imaging the cheque; the normal banked without IT skills or equipment - and the unbanked. Until the first two classes fully coalesce High Street branches should still cater for both. Where they don't they are offering their simple banked customers very poor value for money (we 'pay' for 'free' banking through lending banks our current account - and indeed savings account - money for virtually no interest).

Sue Wrote:

> Well, the world and technology move on.

>

> I'm amazed we are still using cash at all.

>

> I'd be interested to know the proportion of people

> who still do all their banking at a physical

> building.

I only ever use Cash for anything under ?30.00

I NEVER carry cards at night.

If I get Rolled then I lose the cash but there is no hassle of sorting out cards

at 10.30 -11.00 at night when I get home.

I do not use online banking and have never set up such a facility.

I much prefer the personal contact of the counter in the bank.

For someone that worked in Telecoms and Technology for 40 years I suppose

it's quite strange that I'm such a Luddite. :)

Foxy

Unfortunately this appears to be the future of "modern" banking, were "personal" banking no longer exists and technology drives forward negating the interaction of people to perform banking activities.

It is sad that Barclay's are closing both branches in Peckham and opening a single branch to replace them, based on the LL model. This is also happening with other banks.

colville09 Wrote:

> I'm with Foxy, after 25 years working in new media

> digital realm, I use cash, don't do online

> banking, never have used a 'hole in the wall'

> machine and always use the bank counter and get

> paper receipts.

Well you are a dying breed.

Banks can hardly be expected to cater for the few. They are businesses, after all.

And it isn't true that "personal" banking no longer exists. The people at First Direct are lovely - just on a phone.

And I had a bouquet of flowers from them when they went a bit over the top on fraud prevention and wrongly barred my card once :)

ETA: Frankly, I've found them a lot more lovely than some of the people I've dealt with face to face in the past in an actual physical bank!

Argh, the days of bar staff being numbered, choose beverage, swipe card or use token, collect glass, lean over and fill glass, consume beverage, return empty glass to moving line. Repeat.

hey Artificial intelligence is here already and as things become more automated the idea is that people will have less and less to do and more and more free time to fill. If you use a supermarket, the bar code already allows you to select, scan, pack and pay for your item with no people interaction, until the damn bar code fails.

You don't even need to leave home to go shopping, just get someone to pick, pack and deliver for you to the front door.

I guess eventually Drone technology will increase so much that all sorts of things will be able to become possible.

Technology can help but also hinder, and if I'm lucky I've got another 30 years to witness even more change. In the 70's the only thing that existed was the slide rule, ruler and calculator, no mobile phones, no computers, no tablets, no smart Tv's or meters, no ATM's, no Oyster cards, oh those where the day's. And you had to interact with people, today people walk around constantly stuck to a mobile, phoning, texting, streaming and I don't know what else!!!!!!!!!!! and sod anyone that gets in there way. Why can't people communication verbally??? Apart from the call center you have to call to sort out a problem and that has all your details and is on the Other side of the world, why can't we have them in the UK???

On the bus you actually had to physically buy a ticket from the conductor and could hop and off the open platform, but not any more because ealth and safety saws NO.

DulwichFox Wrote:

>

> Some of us are Social Butterflies and like to say

> good morning / good evening to others.

> Talking is Good.

Some of us prefer to say good morning/good evening to people other than those in a bank who are paid to be polite to us......

But hey, each to their own.

The dinosaurs have always moaned about progress. If it was up to people like you, we'd still be in the stone age :)) :)) :))

dbboy Wrote:

> Technology can help but also hinder, and if I'm

> lucky I've got another 30 years to witness even

> more change. In the 70's the only thing that

> existed was the slide rule, ruler and calculator,

> no mobile phones, no computers, no tablets, no

> smart Tv's or meters, no ATM's, no Oyster cards,

> oh those where the day's.

I reckon we must be about the same age - though I hae me doots about reaching eighty, which is where I'd be in thirty years. I couldn't care less if mobile 'phones disappeared - or rather, if they were replaced by the basic call only model (I don't miss the days of having to walk for miles to find a telephone box that stank of piss and nine times out of ten had been vandalized). I'd miss the Internet, which not only is the most extraordinary resource the world has ever seen but allows me to earn a living as a freelance writer in a way that wasn't dreamt of in my youth. But where I'd really take issue is rejoicing in the days of no ATMs or Oyster cards - having been turned over for all my cash after a gig at the Mean Fiddler in Harlesden and so having to walk fourteen miles home on a winter's night as a youth, I will never regard them as anything but a boon to civilisation. You can still talk to bus drivers you know, I always say hello when I tap in and call thank you as I disembark, and nine times out of ten get a nice response.

Sue Wrote:

> DulwichFox Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> >

> > Some of us are Social Butterflies and like to

> say

> > good morning / good evening to others.

> > Talking is Good.

>

>

>

> Some of us prefer to say good morning/good evening

> to people other than those in a bank who are paid

> to be polite to us......

>

> But hey, each to their own.

>

> The dinosaurs have always moaned about progress.

> If it was up to people like you, we'd still be in

> the stone age :)) :)) :))

no, no, no, I'm no dinosaur, just reminiscing about how things used to be.

rendelharris Wrote:

> dbboy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > Technology can help but also hinder, and if I'm

> > lucky I've got another 30 years to witness even

> > more change. In the 70's the only thing that

> > existed was the slide rule, ruler and

> calculator,

> > no mobile phones, no computers, no tablets, no

> > smart Tv's or meters, no ATM's, no Oyster

> cards,

> > oh those where the day's.

>

> I reckon we must be about the same age - though I

> hae me doots about reaching eighty, which is where

> I'd be in thirty years. I couldn't care less if

> mobile 'phones disappeared - or rather, if they

> were replaced by the basic call only model (I

> don't miss the days of having to walk for miles to

> find a telephone box that stank of piss and nine

> times out of ten had been vandalized). I'd miss

> the Internet, which not only is the most

> extraordinary resource the world has ever seen but

> allows me to earn a living as a freelance writer

> in a way that wasn't dreamt of in my youth. But

> where I'd really take issue is rejoicing in the

> days of no ATMs or Oyster cards - having been

> turned over for all my cash after a gig at the

> Mean Fiddler in Harlesden and so having to walk

> fourteen miles home on a winter's night as a

> youth, I will never regard them as anything but a

> boon to civilisation. You can still talk to bus

> drivers you know, I always say hello when I tap in

> and call thank you as I disembark, and nine times

> out of ten get a nice response.

I agree with you about the Internet and Oyster cards, they make life so much easier. Oh the telephone box, now don't get me started, yes lovely on their time, but outdated by technology.

singalto Wrote:

> Just because we have the technology doesn?t mean

> ?the old way? of doing things is wrong.I prefer

> dealing with people.

Technology usually only gets implemented if there are cost benefits.

Callie Wrote:

> Does that mean we can't pay in money at LL branch?

That's how I read it too (or take it out) - used to be queues of local traders putting cash in on Rye Lane banks (on certain days).