Lordship Lane/Dulwich Common proposals

Bic Basher

TfL are consulting on improving the junction at Dulwich Common/Lordship Lane to make it safer for pedestrians and cyclists.

Main points are:

New traffic islands on Lordship Lane (by the Grove) and Dulwich Common at Cox's Walk.

Signalled crossings for pedestrians.

Cycle island on Lordship Lane.

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/roads/a205-dulwich-common-lordship-lane/

I?ve agreed with the proposals and I?ve also suggested that:

There needs to be a pelican style crossing at the island between the Gove pub and the Dulwich riding school.

The current crossing facility is a danger to life. It is unlit (in bad weather/at night) and is a risk to pedestrians especially when vehicles are speeding. Cars are under no obligation to stop and the island is too narrow to fit a buggy or wheelchair. It would be sticking out and easily hit by oncoming traffic!

Love this quote - " At present there are informal crossing arrangements at all three arms of the junction, meaning pedestrians can only cross when there are gaps in the traffic. "

Or, in other words, there are no crossing arrangements whatsoever apart from run for it..

Survey done. Hopefully the crowds coming to the new bar place will be safe.

Do be careful what you wish for. TfL and Southwark combined have an amazing capacity for creating the worst possible solutions (taking the most time and costing the most money) to any traffic problem - I can't imagine what the worst solution for this very real problem will be, but trust me, 'they' will find and implement it.

Are these the same designs as were approved, costed - and funded - many years ago, then cancelled as Mayor Livingstone's 5-year plan to improve junctions without a pedestrian phase began (and took five years to reach the point where it had failed to publish the framework for assessing prority), which was then swept away by Johnson and replaced with a start-from-scratch 6-year plan, which ultimately concluded that smoothing traffic flows was more important?

If so, then it's lovely to see the idea resurrected, but I won't be holding my breath.

'Do be careful what you wish for'

That would be even worse traffic jams. There is very light pedestrian traffic using that junction, and heavy traffic, particularly from Lordship Lane turning right onto the Common. During the rush, getting across the existing lights can take five or six sets of changes.

Also, heading east along the Common toward Forest Hill regularly sees traffic tailing back beyond the duck pond.

A crossing there, ensuring the safety of imaginary pedestrians will make it unimaginably worse.

Captain Marvel Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 'Do be careful what you wish for'

>

> That would be even worse traffic jams. There is

> very light pedestrian traffic using that junction,

> and heavy traffic, particularly from Lordship Lane

> turning right onto the Common. During the rush,

> getting across the existing lights can take five

> or six sets of changes.

>

> Also, heading east along the Common toward Forest

> Hill regularly sees traffic tailing back beyond

> the duck pond.

>

> A crossing there, ensuring the safety of imaginary

> pedestrians will make it unimaginably worse.

Put off by using that junction currently thanks to the currently dangerous junction which isn't suitable for crossing. I welcome it as it'll encourage more patronage of Cox's Walk and Sydenham Hill Wood. It'll also encourage pedestrians to use it instead of crossing Lordship Lane along the section where the shops are to reach the bus stop.

Captain Marvel Wrote:

---------------------------------------------

>

Imaginary pedestrians?

What do you mean?

I would use it frequently and I know many others who would as well.

I presently have to make a five minute detour to avoid having to try and cross the road there.

Captain Marvel Wrote:

> 'Do be careful what you wish for'

Presumably, it will be a 'request' phase rather than a standard part of the sequence. So if there are no imaginary pedestrians, it won't impact the light sequence. But the real pedestrians will still get a benefit. Don't underestimate the number there. There might not be people waiting to cross on every set of light changes but I sit at the front of the ASL on my bike most commute days and see quite a few trying to scuttle across when they can.

The traffic along Dulwich Common has been far worse since the junction at the top of the hill (Wood Vale, Sydenham Hill, London Road) was changed a few years back. The change there to the road layout and lights there - and at the junction outside the Horniman didn't improve anything.

Bic Basher Wrote:

> Captain Marvel Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > A crossing there, ensuring the safety of

> imaginary

> > pedestrians will make it unimaginably worse.

>

> Put off by using that junction currently thanks to

> the currently dangerous junction which isn't

> suitable for crossing.

I run there quite regularly and I see lots of other people trying to cross.

hertburs Wrote:

> Imaginary pedestrians. What an extraordinary

> comment! That is just how I feel when I try to

> cross the road at Dulwich Common. Roads are for

> everybody pedestrians, cyclists and not just motor

> vehicles. It is time we redressed this balance.

Ironically I find the traffic island on Dulwich Common by Firemans Alley safer than the main crossing at Cox's.