Early morning doorstep beggar

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't understand this.

>

> If the OP's car hadn't been off the road, would

> this man have been given a lift to Kings?

>

> And if so, what was the scam, exactly?

>

> Or was the man assuming that nobody would want to

> give somebody a lift at 6am?

It was St George?s but you?re right about not wanting to get up at 6 am on Saturday

DulwichFox Wrote:

> If he was walking door to door ..

> Could he not walk to Kings.. 20-25mins.

>

> I'm assuming that as his girlfriend was in labour

> he is likely to be a young person..

>

> Probably a scam.

>

> DulwichFox

Don?t know if she was in labour but he was young and smartly dressed. All I wanted to know was if anyone else had had a visit from him.

Anyone who had a girlfriend in labour would of walked to kings to ensure they didn't miss the birth. They knock at weird times in the hope you are sleepy and a bit fuzzy and get your purse out to get rid of them and go back to bed. The other scam is the" moved into number blur down the road and have no money for bread/milk/ gas etc etc and there is a baby in the house. Very good conmen and women but have been doing it for a very long time.

Mscrawthew Wrote:

> Anyone who had a girlfriend in labour would of

> walked to kings to ensure they didn't miss the

> birth. They knock at weird times in the hope you

> are sleepy and a bit fuzzy and get your purse out

> to get rid of them and go back to bed. The other

> scam is the" moved into number blur down the road

> and have no money for bread/milk/ gas etc etc and

> there is a baby in the house. Very good conmen and

> women but have been doing it for a very long time.

Strange that no one else has seen him.

possibly, but maybe they did and they just haven't been looking at the Forum.

The thing is, they are so believable and they appeal to your good nature which is why you are validating the con to yourself.

When my mum got caught, she really believed that the lady would bring back the ?10 she had borrowed and couldn't believe someone would lie that well.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

> Problem: someone you don't know is at the door

> asking for money.

> Solution: don't give them any.

The problem with all solutions is they then try and get you into a "to and fro" about it, so you need to end it fast and unequivocally.

It's very hard to say no to someone who has a convincing story - and you don't actually ever know if it's real or not.

I suppose you just go with what you feel comfortable with at the time and try not to beat yourself up about it later.

It's human nature to want to help people and we shouldn't suppress that just because there are scumbags out there who take advantage of other people's kindness.