How to increase recycling ....

Southwark don't recycle food waste, as some boroughs do, and when I asked why they said they didn't have the facilities to do it.

I don't have room for a compost bin. I did try a council wormery, but I was producing much too much stuff for the worms, and in the end I gave the wormery away.

If anybody would like me to save stuff for their compost bin, I'm very happy to do so as I hate throwing it away :-$

Preferably someone in the North Cross Road area.

I think we are lucky as my folks are in Southampton. They can only recycle plastic bottles and tin cans (apart from glass and paper). They do not know of any tetrapak recycling anywhere. At least southwark take other plastic like food trays, yoghurt pots etc.

Southwark are a disgrace WRT recycling. I asked ages ago for single bin recycling (clear bag) and they said no. We live in a 3rd floor flat and do not have the room for keeping separate bins for glass / paper / tins etc. Lambeth have an orange bag where all recycling can go in it for everyone (i think). If the government want people to recycle more (and we all should) then they have to make it easier. I can't imagine charging for garbage collection will work. I suspect people will just sneak stuff into other peoples or dump it on the streets etc.

Goose how come you have to separate glass & tins - I'm in southwark in a house but have a blue box and it all goes in together with plastic - only the paper has to go spearately. I agree it is nicer to be able to put it all in together (Greenwich do that too). Do you have to separate for communal bins at your flats?

The waste truck puts it all in together anyway doesn't it (maybe not paper).

According to the latest leaflet, you have to keep glass separate from plastic and tins. Otherwise you could be fined. Ditto if you put something in your bin that should have been recycled or put in the garden waste bin!

I wonder how they plan to prove that it was you who put the offending article in the wrong bin? Lots of "private" bins in Southwark are accessible to the general public....

I wonder how they plan to prove that it was you who put the offending article in the wrong bin? Lots of "private" bins in Southwark are accessible to the general public....

Yep - the amount of normal 'rubbish' I find thrown into my brown garden bin is ridiculous - not to mention the rubbish in my front garden.

Goose I also live on a third floor and am given a big plastic bag AND we have recycling bins downstairs.

Any reason they have given to not give you big plastic bags? Ours are collected every Friday, though I tend to use mine for ordinary rubbish, because I take my recycling down to the bins downstairs.

The bins take way more stuff than the council allows you to put in the bags, by the way.

Pressurised canisters for example can be put in the bins but not in the bags.

Incidentally, household batteries can be deposited at libraries now.

The recycling lorries that southwark use have separate parts for the different items. The operatives empty the boxes into receptical on the side of the truck (separated). When full this lifts over and empties into the main body of the truck. When I have seen them in action I have often seen the operatives physically separating the items. We have two boxes and a bag. One box is for plastic only - unbelieveable how much plastic a family of six goes through. I try to put all plastic in there other than bags or plastic wrap (clean). Bags etc get taken away by Ocado or Tesco depending on who delivered that week.

Hi there,

I?m one of the Recycling Officers working for Tetra Pak and ACE UK. As you probably know, over the last year and a half we have been working to make carton recycling available to as many people as possible. And now carton recycling is available to 86% of UK and Guernsey Local Authorities. So for those of you that said that they didn?t know where to recycle their cartons, you can check our interactive map on www.tetrapakrecycling.co.uk to find your nearest carton recycling facilities.

Specifically looking at carton recycling in Southwark, it?s great to hear that your scheme is so popular. The banks on the site that was mentioned are being emptied on a weekly basis. To help us deal with the popularity of the scheme, we ask everyone to squash their cartons before they recycle them ? twice as many cartons fit in the bank when squashed, helping to reduce overflows and also vehicle miles when emptying the banks.

You currently have two beverage carton recycling sites in Southwark; we are working with your Local Authority and they are looking to increase up to five sites, but they are still awaiting approval. We are also trying to encourage the move to kerbside collection of cartons, but this can be difficult due to a number of reasons, including long term waste contracts or existing collection mechanisms.

Keep up the hard work, it?s great to see so many people recycling their cartons,

Jenny Walden

National Recycling Operations Officer