Using Tfl planner for journeys from East Dulwich

mary123

Anyone else have the same query with using TFL.. I am looking for routes to Leicester square from lordship lane and I am 80% sure the 176 bus goes all the way up there, but tfl does not show this as a direct bus option, instead offers routes wuth the 363 bus and changing for tube at elephant?

The 176 does go to Leicester Square.

Except when it doesn't. In the evening rush hour it is frequently terminated on Waterloo Bridge, when Trafalgar Square and The Strand get grid locked. About 40% of the time in my experience, which may just have been unlucky. Very annoying. I gave up on the bus if I wanted to get into the West End around 6.00 and didn't want a 20 minute walk to get there.

It's even more annoying to be on a 176 sitting in the traffic jam

I don't disagree. But I prefer to choose a transport mechanism which isn't quite so hit and miss. A combination of the Orange, Jubilee and Northern Lines is more complex, but also generally more certain. I frequently travel with someone for whom walking (quite) long distances poses difficulties.

I don't depend on TfL one at all. It sent me to East Dulwich (when I was looking to get to LB) only to find the station was closed. It was very stressful, as I had trusted it and I was lucky I'd not booked a particular train and could get the next one out of London.

It also doesn't give accurate information on other routes.

Another time, it made me get off the train and walk to the next station, only to find when I arrived there, that the train I was on would actually have gone that way.

I use CityPlanner and Google Maps.

To be fair though, TfL encourage people to write apps and all their route information is free. I think they could try harder though to have one we can rely on.

I use Google maps.

You can set your preferences to avoid trains (or whatever) and it gives you the quickest route from your current location at any particular time, taking into account traffic conditions etc..

You can also set it to give you the route with fewest changes, no steps, etc, rather than the quickest.

If you don't fancy the first route it comes up with, you can look down to see the others.

You can also set either the time you want to leave, or the time you want to arrive.

The only downside (which is not an issue with the site itself) is that if you have looked up a route for a particular time the day before you are going, you need to check again before leaving, because the situation might obviously have changed (eg traffic jam due to an accident etc)..

I have used other apps, but I like this one the best of those I have tried.