Muggings in Dulwich Park

I have just been to drop my daughter off at a swimming gala at the College and their comms board is all about a spate of muggings in Dulwich Park this week and advising the children not to walk through the park etc. Police are aware. Wondered if anyone else has heard of this? I am in the park several times a week and only this morning marveled at how lucky we are to have this on our doorstep.

Anyway - just be careful and maybe warn your children (and others) to be more vigilant.

Is this generally for children with phones or children on their own. I am interested as my child is coming to an age where they want to do things independently, for example cycle round Dulwich park then come and meet me with my other child. Is this inadvisable right now or generally? From what I can work out lots of children travel to secondary school alone. I am just trying to work out how to make the transition.

The note from the school suggested the children walk in pairs or groups, go to nearby shops if they can for help, hand over phones, bikes, etc if confronted. The letter also mentioned the school has been shown photographs of specific individuals to look out for. It seems the police response/visibility on this is really high and that helps.

One of my sons was mugged in Dulwich Park with his mate a year ago - he did not have a phone on him and felt more vulnerable as he had nothing to hand over and they wanted to search him. He handed over his bike instead - the charming thugs eventually dumped it as it was a tiny lame bike. I'd say have your kids carry a phone (but do not use it overtly - I suggest my boys pop into a shop if they need to make a call/text etc), a crap phone they are happy to hand over - much less intimidating to have something to offer up. My boys are both happily walking to school, cycling, carrying phones etc despite this note - they are just a bit more vigilant.