Query: drug deals in Underhill Rd

IlonaM

Sadly not. I was trying to see the plates on the car parked across our gate, but the plate was obscured by railings. The other car's plate was not visible from my angle and the incident was quite quick. Local cctv might have picked them up though.

Seems to be a bit of a spot for things like this... The car park for Belvoir lodge just of Underhill for instance. A year ago the the trees and a patch of unused overgrown land was trimmed and cut there, and a few stolen motorbikes were found chained to the trees, hidden by the undergrowth... also, because of its seclusion people are going around there using the gas canisters you get for soda syphons etc to obtain a quick high, the place is littered with them. So I imagine much worse goes on there at night.

Is that the gated little road - sparks67? We?ve seen a few canisters thrown in our garden - I hadn?t known what they were? I imagine it was cleared up for knotweed treatment, or around the same time. We never go out there, but recently had to access and it was very overgrown again.

I believe the small canisters are used to hold nitrous oxide (also known as laughing gas) for their high rather than carbon dioxide which is used to carbonate water into soda water in a soda syphon. I don't think they would get much of a high from that.

That?s right bargee it?s NO2 laughing gas.

It?s been a thing for decades, bit of an increase in popularity last few years though.

Back in the day in my town, weekends was big queues at Timothy Whites where kids were all buying canisters because ?mum is making whipped cream? (or something like that).

N2O : Nitrous oxide, laughing gas. Among its uses are as an aerosol propellant for eg whipped creams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrous_oxide#Aerosol_propellant

NO2 : Nitrogen dioxide. A rather unfriendly gas and environmental pollutant, classed in the USA as extremely hazardous. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitrogen_dioxide#Toxicity

While using the Wikipedia lookups (often more reliable than the EDF), please do consider occasionally contributing a little to its ongoing costs. https://donate.wikimedia.org/

DulwichFox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The Cartridiges used in Soda Syphons a Whipped

> Cream makers containe C02 Carbon Dioxide, NOT N20

> Nitrous Oxide.

The cartridges in soda syphons are CO2, the cartridges in whipping syphons for whipped cream are N2O. CO2 is good for carbonating water (hence the name) but if used on cream it will give it an acid taste.

rendelharris Wrote:

CO2 is good for carbonating water (hence

> the name)

Surely Carbon dioxide is called that because it has one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms in the molecule?

Nothing to do with carbonating water?

Have I misunderstood? Did you mean a different name?

Sue Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> rendelharris Wrote:

> CO2 is good for carbonating water (hence

> > the name)

>

> Surely Carbon dioxide is called that because it

> has one carbon atom and two oxygen atoms in the

> molecule?

>

> Nothing to do with carbonating water?

>

> Have I misunderstood? Did you mean a different

> name?

No - as above, if you force carbon dioxide gas into water under pressure it dissolves, creating carbonic acid, and making carbonated water.

ETA I mean hence the name of carbonated water, not hence the name of carbon dioxide!