Fungi in Peckham Rye Park

This is the season for fungi in parks and gardens.

The species shown in the attached image have been appearing in planted beds in the open, drier spaces under larger shrubs. I am not a mycologist at all, so I would be interested if someone were able to identify it and say something about it: is it poisonous? If not, can one cook with them?

Lee Scoresby

Looks to me like a parasol. Macrolepiota procera. The specimen in your pic is newly emerged; it opens into an umbrella shape. I ate them years ago, when I was young and careless, and found them very tasty. Sliced thinly, they also dried nicely for later use. My mushroom guide confirms this but warns that related species are poisonous. The edible one it says does not discolour on cutting but it has has a snakeskin-like stem. I don't remember that last detail on the ones I used to eat. So now I'm not so sure; Some appeared in my garden recently - smooth stem - I did not eat them. I would appreciate an expert opinion.

MarkT

Johnie,

I have this one reservation.

the guides (I have 2 books - Collins Gem Guide and Blacks Nature Guide) seem to make a point about the snakeskin stipe as an identifying characteristic. In Lee's photo, like the ones this year in my garden, it seems smooth

http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-edibility-distribution-identification/

However, looking again at the first photo in the link, that looks smooth. The confusion would be with the shaggy parasol, which at worst according to the link "doesn't agree with some people". - small risk. I'm regretting now I didn't eat mine.

MarkT

MarkT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Johnie,

> I have this one reservation.

> the guides (I have 2 books - Collins Gem Guide and

> Blacks Nature Guide) seem to make a point about

> the snakeskin stipe as an identifying

> characteristic. In Lee's photo, like the ones this

> year in my garden, it seems smooth

> http://www.gallowaywildfoods.com/parasol-mushroom-

> edibility-distribution-identification/

>

> However, looking again at the first photo in the

> link, that looks smooth. The confusion would be

> with the shaggy parasol, which at worst according

> to the link "doesn't agree with some people". -

> small risk. I'm regretting now I didn't eat mine.

> MarkT

I have Roger Phillips - Mushrooms and other funghi of Great Brittan and Europe, MacMillan. I think it is a Shaggy Parasol, Lepiota rhacodes, but best to do a spore print - it should be white

It is a tough time of year for those of us who suffer a particular fungal sensitivity. Allergic Bronchial Pulmonary Aspergillosis (known as ABPA for short though most GPs and hospital consultants won't have heard of it imo) is what is technically known as a bitch. https://www.aspergillus.org.uk/content/allergic-bronchopulmonary-aspergillosis-abpa