Taxis parked on Crystal Palace Road

hooksan

In recent months there have been 3 taxis parked on Crystal Palace road near Heber road and they don?t seem to be moving. I know this as one is parked directly outside my house.

I was relieved to see that they disappeared at the weekend but they have now reappeared in almost exactly the same spots. The only difference is that they have new adverts on the back doors.

Is this happening anywhere else? Does anyone know why there are so many taxis suddenly parked here?

It's one guy parking these taxis along that part of Crystal Palace Road. He leaves them there for months at a time, adding a new one from time to time. It's bizarre, as a parked black cab isn't doing what it's intended for: pounding the streets and taking fares.

Mentioned before here: http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?5,1879925,1879925#msg-1879925

See the FAQs here, https://www.carquids.com/, which says "Currently, you cannot be paid more than ?100 per month."

This firm also say that they don't have any specified minimum mileage. But "You will be selected for a campaign based on your commute and where your car spends most of its time". And they ask anyone contracted for a monthly mileage reading.

I had been wondering about this as well - there is one close to us that has been parked and not moved since August (I remember it was there when we got back from holiday and it hasn?t moved since!). It?s also been parked quite badly in relation to a nearby disabled bay, meaning we?ve effectively lost a parking spot on our bit of the road.

I counted seven black cabs parked between Whateley Road and Heber the other morning on the school run, which is ridiculous. I have in the past seen a bloke running the engine of one cab and then getting out and going to another cab further up the road. Have been keeping an eye out for anyone getting in the cab nearest to us to run the engine but no joy yet. It is taxed (thanks for the link Beulah) but I?m thinking of reporting it to Southwark as an abandoned vehicle. I know it?s free parking round here but leaving it outside someone?s house for three month?s solid is pretty damn cheeky!! Although I am dubious Southwark will do anything...

I don't think (from experience) that they will treat it as abandoned if it is taxed and insured. Free parking is free for all. Obstructing the disabled parking bay might work if the person who needs it complains.

Liro Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I had been wondering about this as well - there is

> one close to us that has been parked and not moved

> since August (I remember it was there when we got

> back from holiday and it hasn?t moved since!).

> It?s also been parked quite badly in relation to a

> nearby disabled bay, meaning we?ve effectively

> lost a parking spot on our bit of the road.

>

> I counted seven black cabs parked between Whateley

> Road and Heber the other morning on the school

> run, which is ridiculous. I have in the past seen

> a bloke running the engine of one cab and then

> getting out and going to another cab further up

> the road. Have been keeping an eye out for anyone

> getting in the cab nearest to us to run the engine

> but no joy yet. It is taxed (thanks for the link

> Beulah) but I?m thinking of reporting it to

> Southwark as an abandoned vehicle. I know it?s

> free parking round here but leaving it outside

> someone?s house for three month?s solid is pretty

> damn cheeky!! Although I am dubious Southwark will

> do anything...

Funny it was kind of at the back of my mind there are a lot of cabs parked around here, then after seeing this post actually twigged. Counted five today while going along Copleston Road. And without the TfL licence plates, at least the ones I could see easily while going past.

Maybe there's a massive glut of cabs due to the rise of Uber and we are the parking lot being one of the nearest areas to zone 1 without CPZs? Fear problem will be more noticeable once the Dog Kennel Hill CPZ goes live, signs already up now but covered.

That said had an (ex-Uber?) Prius left for months on my street and as it was low emission didn't need to be taxed. So Southwark Council wouldn't remove it until it got a flat tyre, which meant they could deal with it as abandoned.

rollflick Wrote:

> we are the parking lot being one

> of the nearest areas to zone 1 without CPZs?

I suspect that's the cause of all of the vans/campers dumped here for months on end without moving. I'm generally against CPZs but at least it would clear out a lot of the long term parkers.

Living on Copleston, whatever the rights and wrongs of CPZs we are now in a position to have no alternative I feel - our road and Soames Street are starting to look like a commercial carpark, one vehicle in three is a cab (as Rofflick notes, usually without commercial plates, which argues a dealer is probably storing them here), LGV or campervan in our section.

There is one sporting a PayPal advert on Jennings Road junction with Crystal Palace Road- been there for weeks, and a purple one has appeared overnight just around the corner from it with QATAR on it- replacing another one that was there for a couple of months until recently.

There really should be an I-Spy book. If the purple Qatar one was LL17CVM, it was in Copleston Road yesterday.

Some adverts seem definitely to be from old campaigns -- I've seen ones for an Eminem 2017 release and the London Wine Fair[*]. I think the evidence so far suggests that it's old cabs being moved around rather than any refreshing of advertisng material. I doubt anyway whether an unlicensed TX4 would be able to get away with commanding the premium rates that active taxis do. It's possible they're no longer on contract at all. Any evidence to the contrary?

[*] Edited to add that the LWF takes place in May each year.

The cab near us on CPR was moved this afternoon... my husband happened to be home and saw it was being jump started by a second black cab! Unbelievable. It?s number plate ended KOU so we shall see if it pops up again with new advertising.

rendelharris Wrote:

> Living on Copleston, whatever the rights and

> wrongs of CPZs we are now in a position to have no

> alternative I feel - our road and Soames Street

> are starting to look like a commercial carpark,

> one vehicle in three is a cab (as Rofflick notes,

> usually without commercial plates, which argues a

> dealer is probably storing them here), LGV or

> campervan in our section.

A few years ago you wrote on this forum and attacked people who supported a CPZ in their area.

Passiflora Wrote:

> rendelharris Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Living on Copleston, whatever the rights and

> > wrongs of CPZs we are now in a position to have

> no

> > alternative I feel - our road and Soames Street

> > are starting to look like a commercial carpark,

> > one vehicle in three is a cab (as Rofflick

> notes,

> > usually without commercial plates, which argues

> a

> > dealer is probably storing them here), LGV or

> > campervan in our section.

>

> A few years ago you wrote on this forum and

> attacked people who supported a CPZ in their area.

How sweet and very strangely obsessive of you to remember (though par for the course - I'm afraid I can't recall what made you decide to start this rather insipid feud with me, must have been something good). If your powers of recall stretch further, I was specifically debating with someone who was rejoicing over the fact that a CPZ meant they had plenty of room to park in their area as the school and hospital traffic had disappeared, and I was enquiring as to who was going to teach their children and cure their ailments. If you look at what I actually wrote above, I said "whatever the rights and wrongs of CPZs we are now in a position to have no alternative I feel" - that's not supporting a CPZ per se, it's acknowledging that having been surrounded by them we'll have to have one too or become a dumping ground for every used vehicle dealer and van hire company in the area. Hope that clears that up for you.

ianr Wrote:

> There really should be an I-Spy book. If the

> purple Qatar one was LL17CVM, it was in Copleston

> Road yesterday.

>

> Some adverts seem definitely to be from old

> campaigns -- I've seen ones for an Eminem 2017

> release and the London Wine Fair. I think the

> evidence so far suggests that it's old cabs being

> moved around rather than any refreshing of

> advertisng material. I doubt anyway whether an

> unlicensed TX4 would be able to get away with

> commanding the premium rates that active taxis do.

> It's possible they're no longer on contract at

> all. Any evidence to the contrary?

Yes the purple one is the same one.

rollflick Wrote:

> as it was low emission didn't need to be taxed.

Just to be clear, ALL vehicles need to be taxed, even if there is nothing to pay.

The GOV.UK website states "You must tax your vehicle even if you don?t have to pay anything, for example if you?re exempt because you?re disabled."

hooksan Wrote:

> In recent months there have been 3 taxis parked on

> Crystal Palace road near Heber road and they don?t

> seem to be moving. I know this as one is parked

> directly outside my house.

>

> I was relieved to see that they disappeared at the

> weekend but they have now reappeared in almost

> exactly the same spots. The only difference is

> that they have new adverts on the back doors.

>

> Is this happening anywhere else? Does anyone know

> why there are so many taxis suddenly parked here?

Our street had this problem (taxis, lorries, abandoned vehicles, people going on holiday) and the everyday commuters coming in to park. This was nearly 3 years ago before the area was made a CPZ.

The taxis were a particular problem.