East Dulwich to the O2 arena

If you fancy a bus ride: 484 from ED to Lewisham bus station, then 108 straight to North Dulwich and 02 Arena

Not sure why I put 'Dulwich' I meant Greenwich :-$

I remember taking the 108 from Stratford and it took me all the way to Lewisham, passing the O2 on the way, it was a lovely ride.

Thanks everyone.

Prior to asking you, I went onto the O2 website to try and find out what the transport links were like - and was not very enlightened. Then I tried TFL which gave me the train/tube option - but I thought that it'd be possibly better to get a bus to Lewisham then another bus to Greenwich - it is possible, but looks likely to take forever.

Thanks again.

I used to commute on the very same boat from surrey quays to tower bridge - there are a few seats outside for the very brave, but everyone sits inside where it is warm and very comfortable. Can't recommend it enough- you'll have to pay a few quid for the privilege but it's worth more than just novelty value. Try the Thames Clippers website for details of times etc.

Keef Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> AcedOut Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Easiest is car/taxi!

>

>

> Most expensive though when you've paid either fare

> or parking!

That I won't argue.

It's a 15 min drive from Nunhead to the O2 which is pretty handy.

When there's a concert on the parking attendants straight out lie and tell you if you park anywhere other than the ?20 arena car-park (car park 1) your car will get locked in after 10PM. They obviously think their patrons are too thick to realise that the cinema last showings are way past 11PM and there are 2 night clubs open until all hours down there.

AcedOut Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Keef Wrote:

> -----

> > AcedOut Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > Easiest is car/taxi!

> >

> >

> > Most expensive though when you've paid either

> fare

> > or parking!

>

> That I won't argue.

Parking is about a fiver in the regular car parks so I'd say it's the cheapest way to get there.

Just for fun I thought I'd like to look at the 'cheapest way to get there' argument.

In petrol terms, your average 5 year old family runabout in a London's busy urban environment will achieve about 5 miles per litre. Clearly that changes dependent upon traffic and number of people in the car, but it'll do.

The Dome's 5.5 miles from ED - giving you an 11 mile round trip, and 2.2 litres of petrol. At 95p per litre that gives us a petrol cost of ?2.10

However we also need to take into account the purchase/devaluation of the car itself, road tax, insurance and maintenance.

For a second hand medium sized family car bought 1 year old for 15 grand and kept for 5 years, the average annual rate of depreciation is ?2,500. (That doesn't include finance costs).

Road tax could be around ?175 a year

Insurance could be say ?600 a year

MOT and maintenance say ?500 a year

That gives you annual running costs of around ?3,775.

If you average 8,000 miles a year (London distances for normal driving are lower than national average), then that gives you a running cost of around 47p per mile (add 10p per mile if you had to borrow the money to buy the car).

Hence that 11 mile round trip to the Dome also cost you ?5.20 of your annual running costs

So in total your Dome trip has cost you:

?5.00 parking

?2.10 petrol

?5.20 running costs

In total a car journey is ?12.30 (or ?1 more if you needed finance to buy the car).

If you had a monthly Zone 1&2 travel card and made 60 journeys a month, the the train/tube option would be ?3. On buses with individual tickets because you had to change it would be ?4 I think.

Clearly you can put all your own figures in here, but do please bear in mind that the running costs don't take into account the cost of going to war to secure access to the oil to run the cars, or the cost of the environmental impact.

There is of course the 'convenience' argument which this wasn't about. However, if you want to go there it's also inconvenient to go to war for oil, inconvenient to damage the environment, inconvenient to suffer the noise pollution, and inconvenient and embarassing to explain to the kids that you poooed all over their inheritance ;-)

Well, speaking as someone who recently went to see the boxing at the O2, and therefore missed the last tube... I can say that the public transport was pretty "inconvenient". Perhaps people wouldn't feel the need to own cars if we had a transport infrastructure suitable for a major city in the 21st Century. I personally believe that the emphasis should be on creating attractive alternatives to motoring, rather than punishing the motorist or purely making them feel guilty.

It also seems strange in the extreme to blame the motorist for war in the middle east - especially when the majority of the country have far less options than we do in London. And also to suggest that cars create excessive noise pollution, when we have buses and lorries on the roads... again, it doesn't ring true.

Although to some extent I'm playing the devil's advocate here - I wouldn't personally consider driving to a sports event or concert (thereby being forced to stay sober) unless there was a damn good reason.

Agreed Jeremy. Apologies.

I wasn't isolating motorists, just anticipating a possible debating response. Poor show from me.

The most important point was the cost issue - we often calculate petrol usage as the simple gauge of cost of a car journey and ignore amortised capital expenditure and depreciation (that's the cash we spend and lose just to give us access to cars).

It's exasperating how inconvenient public transport is, but increasing support is a mountain to climb if we really think it's more expensive too!

Public transport is almost invariably cheaper!

except the council tax is mandatory.. but I take your point

I have missed transport after gigs in the past - I was not a happy bunny. Night buses are immeasurably better these days but I suspect not back from Greenwich at a late hour. Jeremy is right - In 2008 London should have a better transport system. I get the fact that the tube tunnels being so old make that a unique problem but trains and buses should be do-able

erm.. but we are off-topic now aren't we?