Forum Sponsors

http://www.ellyallen.com/
xxxx
www.takeflightacademy.co.uk

All Round Renovation

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
The Bishop, The EDT, The Great Exhibition, the Actress or another?
messageSouthwark Council Transport Planning Consultation
Posted by nxjen November 21, 11:24AM

Southwark Council have launched a Consultation for a “Movement Plan” that will set the direction for transport planning within the borough for the next 20 years. They have devised an online survey for completion.

[consultations.southwark.gov.uk]

messageRe: Southwark Council Transport Planning Consultation
Posted by rollflick November 22, 03:51PM

Thing is, it's not actually a consultation asking your views about the movement plan.

Instead it's an incredibly fiddly survey about travel habits and much more, asking you stuff like why do you like your neighbourhood, which neighbourhood you most identify with. After seeing there were over 50 questions on page 2 (and nine more pages to go) I gave up it was so bad. It's hardly going to get a representative sample of people responding. There's no consultation at all about the implementation plan, which includes things will provoke Marmite reactions for certain EDF contributors.

By contrast other councils like neighbouring Lambeth and City are actually consulting on their plans, asking you to rate your degree of support for each main policies, genuinely engaging with local people and seeking feedback.

How could Southwark get consultation quite so wrong?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 22, 03:52pm by rollflick.

Posted by nxjen November 22, 04:05PM

I thought that Southwark was consulting with residents BEFORE drawing up their plans which seems a sensible way to proceed. The survey isn’t that fiddly and does give residents a chance to have their say, which judging by the amount of threads on EDF about public transport, would be welcome.

ETA Just seen there is a Draft Movement Plan
[consultations.southwark.gov.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 22, 04:27pm by nxjen.

Posted by Townleygreen November 22, 04:21PM

I didn't find it took long to complete at all!

Posted by Siduhe November 22, 05:29PM

Good reminder to say thanks to nxjen for posting - I didn't find it too difficult to complete and I read the purpose as a "give us your priorities so that we can develop a plan that you can then comment on".

There is a clear statement in there about Southwark's intentions to reduce car journeys across the borough which has impacts for car owners as we've discussed on here loads of times, and there was a good blank space to give input about how Southwark should approach the planning.

For what it's worth, I took a leaf out of the James Barber playbook and gave chapter and verse about how there are very different environments in Southwark and a single plan which applies equally to E&C and Dulwich isn't the best way to achieve their objectives. Who knows if they will listen but the more people who contribute, the more chance there is the plans take account of what we need in ED.

Posted by spider69 November 22, 05:52PM

I suspect that Southwark has already decided what will happen and this consultation is just a bit of window dressing.

They consulted on our CPZ, what we requested as a majority was completely ignored and they did what they wanted.

Posted by se22cat November 22, 11:24PM

The only "movement plan" Southwark council are interested in is the movement of funds from construction/highway maintenance company bungs into the hands/obfuscated bank accounts of those at the top of the planning departments, that's a commonly known fact.

Posted by rollflick November 23, 09:11AM

nxjen - this type of survey could have made sense in the summer when Southwark was drawing up this draft.

Now that there is a draft there should have been a consultation asking for views on it, see for example Lambeth's, which may be of interest for those living close to or travelling across the borough boundary:
[www.lambeth.gov.uk]
Without those sorts of questions, you can't gauge public support for policies, e.g. saying X% liked this. Or are you saying the approach of other boroughs is wrong?

And while Lambeth is consulting on its implementation plan (LIP3), Southwark doesn't even mention it let alone ask for views. That's the bit that contains the policies on CPZs for instance.

Siduhe - you're right, Southwark does vary the further you get from central London, maybe the policies or targets could be differentiated depending on whether you're within inner ring road, south circular etc. or TfL fare zones.

Posted by BrandNewGuy November 23, 10:42AM

spider69 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect that Southwark has already decided what
> will happen and this consultation is just a bit of
> window dressing.
>
> They consulted on our CPZ, what we requested as a
> majority was completely ignored and they did what
> they wanted.

Well, the proposed Grove Vale CPZ six years ago was rejected by local residents despite the council being strongly in favour, so there's hope for local decision-making. Or at least there was then.

Posted by Mscrawthew November 24, 10:50AM

I have just tried to complete the survey and unable to score anymore than a one or two for the first section. Three to Five are not highlighted and therefore unable to be chosen!

Posted by goosey-goosey November 24, 04:07PM

I also can't select all of the options in the survey. I've asked Southwark to correct this and let me know when they've done so. I'll report back when (or if, more like) I hear back.

Posted by urbanfox November 26, 12:40PM

You are only allowed to pick your top 5 from the whole list and then score those 5. It's an incredibly badly designed survey and very poorly put together! I'd imagine many people will abandon the survey before completing it.

Posted by Mscrawthew November 26, 04:15PM

Badly designed for their benefit probably!

Posted by rahrahrah November 26, 04:44PM

I would like some of the things that exist in North, East, West, Soutwest and Central London. Namely, some tube stations, boris bikes, a segregated superhighway.

Barring that, just a secure indoor bike park at Brixton tube (Like the one in Finsbury park), or some reliable trains run in the interests of Londoners and not for Kent commuters.

Or barring that, some attempt to at least maintain the current bus services.

Or barring that, just less interference with the remaining option of private transport.

(but I suspect we get lot's of interference with the latter and none of the former)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was november 26, 04:52pm by rahrahrah.

Posted by Angharad_L December 04, 06:16PM

I found it easy to complete, but I work in digital.

The main thing I'd appreciate them focussing on is reducing the speed of drivers around the area. It's incredibly dangerous driving with lots of cars going far too fast.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum