Part-time GPs

EPB

Can anyone explain why there seem to be so few full-time doctors these days?

Getting an appointment can be so difficult that the solution is often to give up trying and instead to go to A&E, which doesn?t help our overstretched hospitals.

solar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> GPs are well paid (deservedly so). So some choose

> to work part time.

If the practice I?m registered with is anything to go by, the doctors must be very well paid indeed!

Come to think of it, how is their pay calculated - is it by the number of patients on their list, or the number they see?

(And where exactly is the Lister clinic?)

EPB Wrote:

!

> Come to think of it, how is their pay calculated -

> is it by the number of patients on their list, or

> the number they see?

Salaried GPs are paid by hours worked, whereas partner GPs receive a percentage of the monies allocated to their practice per patient, so they are effectively paid according to the size of the practice list.

The Lister Primary Care Centre is at 101 Peckham Road - opposite the Best Western Hotel (the one with the Del Boy Robin Reliant outside) at the end of Lyndhurst Way.

GP's I've spoken to who are partners owning their practice have horrible amounts of paperwork to complete to remain in business. One told me they go into the practice every Saturday at 5am to try keeping up to date with it. That they are unable to recruit doctors to become partners because of the cost, risk and hours involved. That they employ paid GP's and many only wish to work part-time - quite a range of hours depending upon the individual.

The system is clearly broken and close to crisis.

Many GPs are women with families who can work part-time as a GP and prefer to do so. The system is not broken because it supports part-time working. It is broken because the range and scope of effective medical interventions is now exponentially different from the position in 1948, when doctors' best efforts were in keeping patients alive long enough for them to heal, with few effective real interventions. Nowadays with both new drugs and new surgical procedures doctors can make real differences to life expectancy. For example, when I was young, childhood leukemia was inevitably fatal. Now it has a very good prognosis. As do many other cancers. But with added medical abilities come both added costs and added pressures. And much higher expectations from patients.

I mentioned broken in the context of over loading GP's - whether part-time of fulltime - and the quantity of paperwork. We need many thounsnds more GP's. Not just because we need more, which we do, but also because GP's are also an aging population with many retiring and due to the overwork also many more seeking early retirement.

Captain Marvel Wrote:

> After seven years of study and training, I would

> want to be earning twice what a salaried GP gets.

> They probably take home less than a black cab

> driver.

Full time, I.e. 4 very full days per week, around 50 hours or more,

You are looking at around ?70k to ?80k pa.

FYI if you do get a Saturday appt at the Lister, it is still an appointment, and I am grateful for it. There is a prescribing nurse there too. ie. with more qualifications, allowed to prescribe, so thus taking extra work from doctors. We are lucky to have it. The ability to see the doctor of your choice is rare these days. Continuity of care is very important I think especially for older people who feel they need to relate to someone where that in itself makes them feel better and more confident. But it is highly unlikely to happen unless you can afford the time with your illness to be able to plan ahead and also use EMIS (the online App; ask your receptionist about this if you don't already use it. You can order repeat prescriptions, make appts at certain times, even see the results of your tests.)

Yes- I would work part-time if I was on their salary too.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1516095/Blair-defends-rise-that-put-GPs-on-250000-a-year.html- I bet Blair didn't foresee the current scenario- but then politicians are not renowned for being able to see beyond the next election.

It matters not one jot how 'good' the GP is if you cannot get your blood/urine/biopsy/faeces diagnostic test done because the lab staff are overworked

And it matters not one jot how good your consultant/surgeon etc is if the nurses and the cleaners are not doing their jobs thoroughly either....

You have no idea how much a GP earns and also no idea how hard they work, have you ever tried seeing a full list in a session, (8 minute slot to assess, maybe diagnose or re-refer) then do all the paperwork? Seeing up to 15+ patients a day?

Dont you ever wonder how many GPS are struggling with depression and burn-out?

Before you cast aspersions on people who dedicate their life to help others and actually get upset when they can not help them, get your facts right and stop denigrating people who one day may be important in helping you with your quality of life.

A salaried GP is probably on (depending on age/ experience) ?60-?70k. In some practices much less - even down to ?40k-?45k for someone newly qualified. A partner is more likely on ?100-?150k - with a large practice with few partners ?250k isn't impossible. The hourly rate for locums providing cover (particularly out-of-hours) can appear to be high, but of course they are not continuously employed.

Peckhampam Wrote:

> Please do not go to A and E because you cannot get

> an appointment with your GP. All GP's surgeries

> offer emergency appointments, or as noted above at

> the Lister surgery. A and E is far too stretched

> already and is not there as a GP overspill.

It is not always possible to get an appointment with a GP and the lister centre (as I understand it) is no longer a walk in. There is Seldoc (thank goodness) which I have had to rely on in an emergency before, but generally the GP service is completely inadequate in terms of capacity. It's no good pretending that the problem doesn't exist.