Forum Sponsors

http://avalonkitchens.co.uk/
xxxx
https://m.facebook.com/cariadpets/photos

Professional Carpet Cleaning at an affordable price - A & M Carpet Care

Advertise here

The East Dulwich Forum
Which pubs, bars, restaurants and take-aways do you avoid?
messageDog Kennel Hill CPZ
Posted by Ashlar December 03, 02:00PM

Does anyone know when the DKH CPZ is going to start? I live on Quorn Road and we have the parking bays drawn out and the signs are up, albeit covered in black plastic, but no notice of when it will start. I tried calling Southwark Parking, who claimed not to know anything about a CPZ and suggested I was imagining it! I then spoke with APCOA who confirmed it’s real but had no information on when it would start. I then got a call back from Southwark Parking to say there was a CPZ but no one knows when it will start!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 03, 02:03pm by Ashlar.

messageRe: Dog Kennel Hill CPZ
Posted by Zig-Zag December 03, 02:57PM

As usual both organisations treating the paying public with utter contempt. Maybe make a formal complaint which probably won't make any difference but at least gets logged as yet another complaint against an appalling council

Posted by Sally Eva December 03, 03:04PM

I should contact your councillor

Posted by sally buying December 03, 04:28PM

It starts on the 17th December 2018.

What we have found by looking at the covered signs is the revelation that if you were expecting a CPZ between the hours of 11-1, whereby cars have to remove themselves discouraging commuters etc, in our neck of the woods the signs show park and pay for the above hours.

This is on a road with parking problems due to all the surround roads being all day parking pushing cars onto our road.

Nothing will change you will still not be able to find parking if you leave your house/road parking space and you will have to pay for annual parking.

The only winner will be Southwark who will rake money in on fixed costs from residents.

We did ask how do you know if people have paid either for resident parking or paid parking now that everything is electronic and no permits are showing, the answer we are using hand held computers.

So every day will Southwark patrol the all streets between the above hours to find who has not paid or do not have a permit. As a resident you will not be able to see and report. I dont think so.

More yellow lines mean less parking.

Posted by Penguin68 December 03, 05:12PM

CPZs have never been about benefiting the people who live in them – they have always been about traffic manipulation – and in particular and overtly in Southwark’s case – a desire to substantially reduce car ownership and car usage within Southwark (for which there are some arguments, particularly for older, and dirtier, vehicles).

Additionally CPZs are seen as revenue generators ostensibly to improve public transport – although we know that this has actually been worsened in our neck of the woods, with reduced bus frequencies, re-routing buses away from where we want to go, a refusal to extend the tube into the old Camberwell Borough etc.

‘Benefit’ to local people is prayed-in-aid merely to get sign-up – the fact that all new CPZs reduce the amount of parking within the zone should surely be enough to bell that particular cat? Southwark is relying on individuals ‘voting’ (and in a street of a 100 houses if 2 residents vote for and only one against that is enough) because they believe they will be able always to park outside their house. Generally (and with some exceptions) ‘in your dreams’.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit was december 04, 10:17am by Penguin68.

Posted by MarkT December 04, 12:47AM

sally buying comments: "if you were expecting a CPZ between the hours of 11-1, whereby cars have to remove themselves discouraging commuters etc, in our neck of the woods the signs show park and pay for the above hours."

The concept of CPZ certainly includes both resident/visitor parking and pay by the hour arrangements, but were people who voted for the Dog Kennel Hill CPZ expecting park and pay to be included in that area? Were they misled by the Council.

You raise an interesting point. Previous park and pay systems - parking meters and pay and display - required the presence of the driver at the time of payment. A two hour charged period in the middle of the day could therefore be employed to thwart commuters. With phone payment, a commuter can park all day and make the payment remotely at the start of the charged period.

Posted by edanna December 04, 07:02AM

Yes people will be able to pay remotely but it will probably be a big deterrent for many people who would have left their car all day. The difference in number of parked cars over at Basingdon Way near Sunray Avenue has been very noticeable since a 2-hour parking restriction was introduced. It would cost about £6.80 a day to leave your car there. So it all depends on who is parking there and why. If it’s mainly commuters it could make a big difference. But it may not change other types of parking. Where we live people park for shorter visits to shops and restaurants so I can envisage still having parking pressure either side of a two-hour period if that were introduced on our street.

Posted by jimlad48 December 04, 09:41AM

The pay and display bays are a small number of the overall bays (e.g. most streets will have a couple). There is a maximum stay per vehicle of about 4 hours per day usually. you cannot park all day.

We went to a CPZ last year and overnight went from being a drastically overcrowded area to a street where parking utilisation is rarely more than 50-60% of the spaces available. The only time we see pressure is at the weekend when the restrictions dont apply - funny that!

Stand by for your parking life to become unbelievably better soon.

Posted by Penguin68 December 04, 10:03AM

Stand by for your parking life to become unbelievably better soon.

That will only be true if in your street, the average number of cars per household is less than the number of houses outside which you can park (once reductions in parking space always associated with CPZs are taken into account). For some streets that will be beneficial (certainly mainly those ones without multiple occupancy). For others it will not! It will also depend how big your CPZ zone is - a large zone will bring those not your immediate neighbours into your street (potentially) - a small zone when you are surrounded by other small zones means that if you cannot park in your street you may have to go some considerable way before you find somewhere you can park.

I noticed in Ondine Road, for instance, quite close to ED station that daytime parking was relatively easy - it was at night when everyone was back at home that I couldn't park up to visit a friend. There (and then) the average car per household was over 1. I don't know what it now is.

Posted by rupert james December 04, 10:14AM

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think your area was the "toastrack". You asked for and got a full day CPZ. You have not experienced the 11-1 CPZ so you do not have that personnel experience to comment. We are across the railway line to you, We asked for by a majority for a full CPZ and got 11-1. All roads surrounding us are full days.

£6.80an hour if you are a highly paid worker in the city is peanuts.

Our parking situation I believe will not change. You say a small number of bays, yesterday I watched them put park and pay signs on both sides of our road whilst the road that we butt onto is resident parking only no pay and display.

It depends on who you Cllrs is on matters like this. I have no faith in our Cllr to fight our corner.

Who do you think will get the parking.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit was december 04, 10:49am by rupert james.

Posted by Charles Notice December 04, 05:28PM

jimlad48 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The pay and display bays are a small number of the
> overall bays (e.g. most streets will have a
> couple). There is a maximum stay per vehicle of
> about 4 hours per day usually. you cannot park all
> day.
>
> We went to a CPZ last year and overnight went from
> being a drastically overcrowded area to a street
> where parking utilisation is rarely more than
> 50-60% of the spaces available. The only time we
> see pressure is at the weekend when the
> restrictions dont apply - funny that!
>
> Stand by for your parking life to become
> unbelievably better soon.

With regard to your comment, on my daily walk this morning I started to take notice of all the new CPZ signs going up for DKH CPZ in those areas that are not an all day CPZ.

On walking up lower Chadwick Road from the Rye Lane car park, which is an all day CPZ, then crossing to

Chadwick Road up towards Grove Park, the whole North side is going to be a 11-1 CPZ with park and pay signs and at the top both sides of the bridge will be a park and pay CPZ.

The Southside is showing a resident only parking CPZ 11-1. So one could say the above has reduced true resident only parking by 50%.

On going through Grove Park it is resident CPZ parking. So it would seem Southwark is targeting those roads who do not have a vocal and powerful resident base to resist to turn these into a money machine. Grove Park joins Camberwell Grove which is an all day CPZ.

Walking further these pay and park areas seem to be everywhere.

How many residents that are in for example Chadwick Road and other roads that are in the DKH CPZ are aware of these new parking rules.

Perhaps people like me when they walk should take a look at the signs that are going up in the DKH CPZ, you could be in for a big and not wanted surprise.

I wonder why Southwark is only allowing 11-1 CPZ's regardless of what people want and voted for or what they thought they voted for.

Unless people have to physically remove cars between 11-1 I cannot see resident benefit. I thought 11-1 CPZ's were proposed to achieve this and free up resident parking.

Will Southwark be policing and checking every road for payment and for parking permits as no paper permit is visible?

Dont believe in what you thought you had voted for.

Posted by jimlad48 December 05, 09:28AM

Its worth noting that if you have a 'pay and display' bay in your street, and you have a permit, you can park in these bays. They are intended for use by both residents and visitors - but there is nothing to stop you parking in them if you want without charge.

Back to top of page
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Donate                   Terms of use                  Help & FAQs                   Advertise               RSS rss feed               Copyright 2006 - 2018 East Dulwich Forum