Restaurants for nut allergy sufferers

MoysieC

We have family staying over Christmas one of whom is severely allergic to nuts. We would like to eat out before Christmas and usually go to Pizza Express as they cater but just wondering if anyone knows any other nut allergy friendly restaurants in the area?

Thx a lot

You certainly won?t find this helpful, but all I can tell you is that it?s the brutal truth.

Allergens are pretty difficult to handle in general, especially where things like nuts - which can cause life-threatening reactions in incredibly small amounts - are concerned. Awareness has increased massively in the last few years, but what you will usually get from a restaurant is something along the lines of ?Although there is no (insert relevant allergen here) in the recipe, we cannot and will not guarantee that there are no trace elements present on the dish.?

Bluntly it?s a legal thing; as soon as you give a 100% assurance you are legally exposed if any contamination as somehow occurred. What is the point of me explaining all this?

Well, simply put all restaurants these days are - or should be - doing their utmost to limit risk. However, if you?re still concerned go with a bigger name rather than a small place; large chains and famous names will have company policies in place that should be rigorously enforced with the threat of sanctions from head office if they find staff are flaunting them.

You are never going to get a 100% assurance, from anyone, but if it?s peace of mind you?re after, a big pubco , restaurant chain or well-known name is your best course of action. It sounds awful to say, butvthe more they have to lose the more careful they?re going to be.

My suggestion would be one of the Dishoom?s. We took a visiting Australian relative with a dairy intolerance to the Shoreditch branch and they were really helpful, with very clear labelling.

I have an extremely severe death-in-ten-minutes allergy to certain nuts. TBH it is not that huge of an issue - I'm still alive and dine out all the time. I'd recommend Thai Corner, Franklins, and many other local places. I'd say big chains are actually worse than small businesses, as small businesses often have staff that stays longer, and, are more up to speed on ingredients. Just ask and let them know. The begging bowl is probably the restaurant that wins on nut allergy awareness locally. Not locally, St. Leonards is awesome and also has "special measures" in place if you announce an allergy AND is probs the best food in London by miles.