Accident on lordship lane

sweetgirl

The impact appears to have crushed a down pipe. However only the front (engine) box was crumpled - it looked like the passenger compartment wasn't - so hopefully injuries will have been light. I can't imagine it would be possible to drive through that narrow gap at any speed anyway. Cars are now built to crumple easily as a safety factor, so perhaps the impact speed was low.

There was another car a few weeks ago which had crashed sidewards into the flats opposite Sainsbury?s on dog kennel hill . The little road facing the exit from Sainsbury?s.

It had crashed side ways on through a small wall , I just don?t know how it managed to get in that position either ?

There are some clues as to what might have happened if you look closely enough. The only way to get into that gap is deliberately and the tyres are still inflated, so the kerb was not hit at any speed. The car is a Hybrid and there seems to be a charging cable running to it. My guess is that the car parked there to charge and that the driver, either, more focussed on not blocking the bus stop pavement, drove into the wall, or, having charged the car, got reverse and forward mixed up and hit the accelerator hard enough to cause that damage (I favour the latter personally).

I was there when the car was being towed away - it's quite genuine - or at least the pictures are, and the car was there. I suppose it is possible that it was placed there in that condition e.g. for a film, although the down pipe was definitely crushed. It may have been a relatively low impact piece of vandalism - i.e. not accidental.

kford Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Put on charge when absolutely flat, but still in

> gear? Then once with power, trundled into the

> school. That's not a high-impact; maybe 10-15mph.

> The 'brick' wall will be a single skin clad of

> brickwork.

Yep,that sounds plausible.

Except the impact damage is flat across and not nearside worldwiser. And how do you explain the charger cable?

As exciting as it may be to suspect some high speed shenanigans, look at the clues, A car that mounts a pavement at speed has at least, damaged front wheel tracking, if not a flat. This car was parked. And then something went wrong ;)

> And how do you explain the charger cable?

There are no obvious charge points in the area, unless possibly available inside the leftmost entrance to the school. The lead, whatever it is, seems to coming from the direction of what, if you magnify the first picture, looks as if it it could be the open back door of a recovery or workshop vehicle in the top LH corner.

@Dyson Repairs, is there any possibility of your changing your hot link, to the photo uploaded on your website, to a plain URL? If anyone's interested, the full Daily Mail account of the Edinburgh January 2015 incident is at https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2931134/I-know-said-street-parking-ridiculous-Car-ends-nose-crashing-basement-level-building.html.

As usual, there's a degree of speculation here by people claiming to be able to say what happened. As it happens, I was at the scene moments after it happened (the police and ambulance had just arrived). It was around 5 am on Saturday. The car had come out of Melbourne Grove and had continued straight on ? not from down LL as some have suggested. It was not parked there, and there was no charging cable (that appeared later in the day, presumably as part of the effort to remove the car ? and parking it to charge would have been impossible anyway). It had indeed gone through the gap between the bus stop and sign, having pushed the sign slight out of the way. It was a tight fight, but he managed it. There didn't appear to be any serious injuries, but as emergency services were already on scene I didn't offer assistance. It's not possible to say why he missed the junction.