New organic Bakery in Lordship Lane...

Just went in there today (the one next to Moxons and Franklin's Grocers) and had a fit to be told that a small loaf was ?3.50. I don't mind paying for 'quality' but I thought that was really expensive. Small baguettes are ?1.80. The bread looked nice, but is it just me who balks at paying those kind of prices. For a very small organic loaf I would have thought ?2.50 max.

you sound surprised. They've been running a stall outside Moxons for ages selling rather expensive bread.

I have not been impressed with anything I've bought from there yet. Just brioche (disgusting) and french bread (had better) and an olive loaf (nice but have made better)

I am surprised Curmudgeon! I never bought the bread outside Moxons, and didn't realise they were one and the same. You're right that for those kind of prices the bread should be utterly divine. I will continue to buy my 'organic' rye bread from Sainsbury's. It is very nice and costs ?1.29. I would like to support small local businesses, but I find it takes the p*** a bit when some of them assume we all have money to burn.

As I say, I will pay for quality but not over the odds.

I bought a loaf on Saturday (along with a rather nice mincepie) and was slightly shocked by the price. Not least since they didn't appear to have any signs on the bread shelf (or the cakes) to identify what they were and how much they were supposed to be. I know you can ask but on a busy Saturday with a long queue, I'd have preferred to make my choice in advance.

The bread was quite nice but prefer those gorgeous Gail's loaves that are expensive but still cheaper.

Gail's is a bakery in East London that make some gorgeous breads - plain and then interesting mixes (like sourdough with baked apple or Rye with fennel seeds). I found them in the Waitrose that lives in the basement of John Lewis in Oxford St after I popped in a for a pint of milk after some shopping. Handily it was around 7ish when they'd just reduced them all to half price. Think they sell them in a few other delis/supermarkets etc but sadly, I don't know of any locally.

Thanks Shlonger but those were Flour Power loaves. Not as good. Flour Station now has a website and it says they supply to John Lewis Food Hall and to somewhere in Balham and the Kings Road as well as various markets.

There is a Gail's Bakery in Hampstead definitely but don't know where else. Bit far to go. Yes, they have good stuff there.

Does anyone know where you can get Turkish bread from? It's like ciabatta but more plient and aerated.

A long bendy loaf.

You can't walk into a shop in Australia without tripping over the stuff, but when I've asked here, people just look baffled and I've never seen any in any bread shop.

help....breakfasts just aren't the same....

Hello everyone.

I have been curious to try this place since it opened and wondered if it would be worth judging by the state of most of the bread served on the stall outside Moxons for the previous few months. I went in slightly apprehensive as I usually buy a large tiger loaf from ASDA for a quid. I know and appreciate that this isnt a 'standard' bakery and is aiming at a certain 'clientele' (we all know who are), but I was desperate and I didnt have time to go elsewhere (I hate Sainsbury's bread and I dont do boiled sliced stuff). I came out at the end of my visit with a small loaf with seeds on it (I had no idea what it was supposed to be other than that I was told it was bread). Not only did I pay CONSIDERABLY over the odds (something I could deal with if on this odd ocassion the bread was actually worth it), but I found the bread to be overcooked and lacking in taste.

I know in the past I have banged on about being ripped off on LL, but during these times of economic hardship for most, how on earth can anyone justify being taken to the cleaners by buying what is I presume meant to be some sort of 'niche' item, when it isnt even upto scratch. I think some of these small businesses must think we are green? I certainly was not born yesterday and I find it deeply offensive that I can be sold something like this for such a premium when it isnt even upto scratch. I wouldnt mind placing a bet (possibly in one of LL's many betting shops), that in a year from now LL will have more boarded up shops than a town in South Yorkshire. Need I say anymore.

Louisa.

Only a moron would pay ?3.50 for a loaf - and how does anyone know it's organic? Sod that.

I agree with the Turkish bread posts - best bread ever(if you want thick crusty loaf)from either Andreas on LL or the continental supermarket on Forest Hill Rd. For toast I am happy with a thick cut Hovis granary and as a treat (as it's quite stodgy) you can't beat Hardough bread from Sainsbos or most West Indian food shops.