Rye Lane gas works and buses

As far as I know, from 8am today the buses will go down Clayton Road and then Hanover Park so we will either have to get off at the start of Rye Lane and walk down or get off outside the Aylsham centre and walk back.

Returning home will be more difficult as Hanover Park is one way, so we will either have to walk to Peckham Road or to the top of Rye Lane They haven't said if there are any temporary stop along the diversion For some people it might be easier to use a different station as it lasts for over a year. Good luck.

The council is suggesting the bus route ie Copeland hanover park but this includes a dangerous pinch point under the railway bridge. There are no facilities for cyclists at, ie no special arrangements.

The area to the west of Rye Lane is full of one-way streets. The barrier is the railway and next way under the railway is the Bellenden Gyratory and then Lyndhurst Way or Bellenden Road to Lidl. If you go straight across at the junction of Peckham Road by Lidl you get to Melon St which is closed to motors ie safe.

If you turn right at the end of Melon you are back on the canal path. If you turn left you are on Sumner Road which takes you straight up to Burgess Park and is negotiable with care.

If you want more detail then PM me or ask here

I got off my bike at the Rye Lane junction with Hanover Park this morning, where the initial works are, and pushed it fifty yards or so down the pavement. Police were there making sure cyclists dismounted. If they are going to progress with the works up Rye Lane in segments, then I'm hoping this will be tenable for the duration.

I recall that some years ago (2010 / 2011) Rye Lane was closed for similar works. In that case the buses heading north had a temporary stop on Copeland Road at the corner of Bournemouth Road. It would be helpful for this to be set-up again for the duration of these works.

So the P13 is diverted from the back roads to opposite the Job Centre, then stops at Peckham Library before going on to the bus station if you are going towards Peckham.

Coming from Peckham to ED, from the bus station it goes back down to the Job Centre/Academy, then rejoins the side roads going back to normal from Bellenden Road.

Both drivers said the works will take up almost all this year!

I'm surprised during the planning of these works that the temporary bus stop on Copeland Road on the junction of Bournemouth Road for Peckham Rye station wasn't added, as during previous closures of Rye Lane.

For the moment, getting off at the Nigel Road stop and walking down Rye Lane is the only realistic option.

My main concern is safety when having to walk home after getting off the train at Peckham Rye late at night. Previously, it was a short stroll to the bus stop for a quick journey up to the East Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye junction. I was out for dinner with friends last night and had to walk home alone at around 10 - didn't feel the safest when the streets were so quiet and dark.

Steph0304 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> My main concern is safety when having to walk home

> after getting off the train at Peckham Rye late at

> night. Previously, it was a short stroll to the

> bus stop for a quick journey up to the East

> Dulwich Road/Peckham Rye junction. I was out for

> dinner with friends last night and had to walk

> home alone at around 10 - didn't feel the safest

> when the streets were so quiet and dark.

If I can't use Forest Hill, I'll go to Denmark Hill instead to get back to ED, where the bus stop is next to the station entrance.

Walking back to ED from Peckham Rye in evenings should be OK if you stick to main roads, presumably there?s many people from ED in same boat so you may have company on your walk !

ETA: This post is not intended to ignore people who can?t walk, people who may be able to walk now but won?t be able to at the time they need to make the walking journey, their friends or relatives who might take offence, nor any other fantastical scenario that can be extrapolated as offensive.

Looks like it's not going to change..

From TFL via Twitter:

"Hi, here is the outcome from the site meeting that took place to decide if we were able to site a temporary stop:

There are 8 days routes and 2 night routes that serves Rye Lane. 54 buses per hour uses Rye Lane so there are many occasions where you will get roughly up to three or four buses serving the stop at any one time.

1.The section of Copeland Road near the junction of Sandling Close we are unable to site a temporary stop because there is not enough space so if we had three buses serve the stop at the same time which is highly likely then there is a zebra crossing as well as that it is on a bend in the road. So if a bus stops at the temporary stop another vehicle will overtake it and there is highly risk that there would be a head on collision with another vehicle heading in the opposite direction. As well as that you may have a vehicle and pedestrian incident because the zebra crossing is so close. Also there is a tree which needed to be cut back to accommodate the buses. As regards to safety this is not viable.

2.The section of Copeland Road near the junction of Blackpool Road we are unable to site a temporary stop because there is only space for 1 bus and remember we would have 54 buses per hour that serving this stop as well as that you would be blocking buses and large vehicles from exiting Blackpool Road onto Copeland Road.

3.Also there are no safe location to put a temporary stop on Copeland Road because the other areas have built out kerbs which limits the space where a temporary stop could be sited.

4.We did find a location on Consort Road where a temporary stop could be located between Braynards Road and Godman Road. We would site a temporary stop on a flag but we would need a temporary marking of a bus cage.

Overall it is not safe to site a temporary stop on Copeland Road for the upcoming works on Rye Lane"

I've seen others say there has been a stop in the past when works were done so wonder how that was allowed then and not now..

Walking south from the station down Rye Lane to catch the buses again outside Tesco would take about 5 minutes. Late at night the back streets might well feel safer but up to 9pm the market stalls are open, cyclists are coming through and people are still coming home -- there should be enough people around to feel safe

KidKruger Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Walking back to ED from Peckham Rye in evenings

> should be OK if you stick to main roads,

> presumably there?s many people from ED in same

> boat so you may have company on your walk !

>

> ETA: This post is not intended to ignore people

> who can?t walk, people who may be able to walk now

> but won?t be able to at the time they need to make

> the walking journey, their friends or relatives

> who might take offence, nor any other fantastical

> scenario that can be extrapolated as offensive.