The Dreaded Royal Mail 'Something For You' Cards

JickieC

ORPINGTON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They want me to go to Orpington to collect a parcel? Are they serious? TFL say it's an hour and 12 minutes away.

and worse - the postman HANDED the card to my 16yr old child with a bunch of letters and one other parcel

AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

(I feel a bit better now thanks)

one was too large and one needed signing for - but a big strapping teen answered the door and could have taken care of all that but wasn't asked. She didn't see the card hidden in the mail till too late. And she took in a different parcel which was why he rang the bell.

this is well fishy.

and seriously Orpington?

My son lives near the Peckham sorting office and I was once in his house when the postman delivered a ?I missed you? card. I ran straight out and called him back. He said he didn?t have the actual parcel and this was a card telling my son to go and collect it!

I chased up one of these "I missed you" cards because I was definitely in when it was left. I was told that they don't send parcels out with new postmen/women. Presumably in case the temptation is too great.

You don't have to go and get it. You can get it redelivered.

I have found it impossible to get something actually delivers to my house since early Jan!

First I had an email saying that we?d been out. No cars through door.

Then I arrange 2 deliveries, no delivery, no card

Also, I?ve had a letter today dates 2 weeks ago and another very similar.

It is chaos!

I live very near the old hospital and for some time now post deliveries seem to have dwindled to 2 or 3 times a week. This week I've had post most days mostly for other neighbours except one random bunch of stuff which was for someone with a road name I didn't even recognise!! I re-deliver all the various neighbours stuff myself but ran out & gave the bundle back to a very confused and lost looking postie. Heaven knows who's getting our post! (Our door number is on the door and the outside wall in big numbers so should be fairly obvious)

I got back home yesterday to a small parcel left behind a plant pot outside my door from the delivery company Hermes. I got a text saying I had signed for it, too. So someone could have nicked it. But actually I am glad it was left outside my door and to be fair to the delivery driver s/he hid it well. I agree that if it was Royal Mail and the card said Orpington that it may be another delivery driver from there on secondment.... Turn up with a good book at to read for the queue at Peckham Sorting Office and see what they say. I am so old fashioned. A Book!

I've had 2 "missed you" cards in the last couple of weeks. I was definitely in and even checked the bell was working. No chance they even tried. Even more annoying, I went to Peckham and they wouldn't let me have the parcel addressed to my wife as I only had a photo of her ID and not the real thing.

I?m afraid it?s nothing new that parcels are left at the sorting office and delivery not attempted, it was definitely happening in the 1990s. In this case the postwoman knew the recipient was out at work all day so it did seem reasonable that a card was prepared while she was at the sorting office and slipped in with the rest of the post. And of course Silvester Road was open with never a thought it would ever close.

I wonder why companies still use RM? They must be cheaper than Hermes or DPD. But they certainly aren't cheaper this end - the delivery for one of those parcels that they failed to deliver was ?8. I certainly didn't get much bang for my buck!

Consider making or buying a secure drop box.

5 years ago, I made one from wood which is firmly attached to the wheelie bin storage wall. It has a door at the front and this is secured with a padlock that the Postie finds inside. When he has put the parcel(s) inside, he locks the door with the padlock. Padlock is bright yellow so I can see it as soon as I get home. Capacity is almost wheelie bin size.

OK it handles only one delivery at a time but it's been a most useful bit of kit. Might make another one to take multiple deliveries like this.. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-METZ-Large-Red-Letter-Box-Post-Box-Mail-Letterbox-Drop-tall-PARCEL-Box/392047285365?hash=item5b47d6d475:rk:15:pf:0&checksum=39204728536589d008e5a2374a2689ac89a86796491c&enc=AQADAAAC8BkojIFHYtWT%2BANpG6F7t2Hwmg4dZREnOw9L%2FDgkltEs%2F9yRiQSkK6kFOYPpVi3YO11kLiAfJSvtxfwYaaogojDI4bjoENYLlaNGcd3qOW0g38%2FNXulp9L9Y0Ch0eoHnIs44SGdlOIsN37fu%2Ft5zVn%2BMlNc8du9MP0P92xoem0y%2Bu4cjf4pV3Xgyqcx5GuVnO9Tq1Uey60t39vtHvc8fNFdG50KayytvqrRGE0y7gTyTK5I1SRwMl%2FUXFZFv4dahyih0%2FmNZRjDZht9j50eWuYlLsfqCH%2FAm8MCz8vSrDp37RxsY52be5a%2F6CgRAeDFu%2Bm7y2x4GDKzijut4Hy8AnnD1Nd%2FG49YI3fdmgwV9oH%2BrE0kMxraP82u2cJpKu4emao7bmZhOcb%2BaU7HigkWfG%2FkRRIKBg5Zv2VFTIO%2B3A09oSnK1qo2RMhaSKFNeb3%2BWek68Qur%2F%2Fh06JezdCaJSqNBnvsq780Dfs2C7T9BFkklNXosTOmFtzAjJTerDmum6yx%2F4YxA%2BgcH8E%2B74MJ5PtlLlj8zvfTv%2FYHpiZp7A1jeJfIgatRP7YdDfnRL0vigyHXIv0SevUcbl2GWyncI38h2ctOEppss37cU2wUaa3WkvVGRqPgTby7c9qhEwXiOm1o5yHvA1OI3yOzK8%2BEcmAYNtx%2BBJAjxsHHle9jLFKI6rX5dqYBq%2B5Wfdpv46YlOoTzyBLx%2FNpu3P67svsjyxHcYiyCj2PLBm0G0wvISeC%2Fxa7dW4QHtge0JY6L1G7ccXH47sJ%2B55E4b95Hb%2FWMpWKlVmjnEUwC7vgKnWsWDpEtaaAJ%2Fl8HKFLoi0TZmXRI7pCgt8mz%2BxhWwc3MH64QppKSaIIR5FLEm7qaCrxsfPNGp%2BIprrkgEzzbURC9jDv%2Bvq66GliAuEO9pkgM7iNRyIOJr1BfK%2F2IhA8rDjzQmnRdSdyNrz1odhp6sRRwNEZbhXgFdNNmu5uD0Qs5FCZmw9qRx5FVdOo%2FAZ%2B0w2oJo2HTPy

I had a card instructing me to go to the collection office in Wandsworth. I went to complain at the Peckham office and they actually did have the parcel there. Apparently,to cope with the large workload they are using posties from other offices and they are using their own cards, not SE15 ones.

So ignore cards telling you to head to Wimbledon or Wigan - just head for Highshore Road

RM returned my parcel to sender, without ever having actually brought it to the house.

They repsonded to my complaint saying that it had the wrong address on.

Strange that whichever other address in ED they kept ?trying to deliver it to? was never in either ....

Pull the other one RM! We don?t use them at all any more.

A real shame.

karpar Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

Apparently,to cope with

> the large workload they are using posties from

> other offices and they are using their own cards,

> not SE15 ones.

How on earth the people "managing" this fiasco got to be in their present positions beats me.

You think you've heard it all, then it gets worse.