Overhill/Belvoir/Underhill roads being used as a bypass

bobbsy

Coming home last night, 7 ish, it was a constant stream of traffic turning from Lordship Lane into Overhill, then down Belvoir, and then onto Underhill. A large green Clarkes coach was trying to turn onto Underhill as I passed, slowly, as it's a difficult turn for a vehicle of that size with parked cars - surely these small side roads are not designed to handle vehicles of this size?

I don't share your optimism Sidhue .

And a more permanent fix is planned from mid Feb to early March .

SE22: LONDON ROAD

What we are doing

We are replacing a water main on LONDON ROAD as part of our mains replacement programme.

Start Date

16 February 2019

End Date

9 March 2019

Days per week on site

We are currently working here 5 day(s) per week.

https://inyourarea.thameswater.co.uk/issue?id=I586

and is the gusher on Forest Hill Rd near Brenchley Gardens really all fixed as TW online seem to think ?

@intexas, the bus status said it should be sorted on Sunday but I hadn't checked the Thames Water. As far as I know, the official diversions don't go around the back streets but you can't plan for sat navs, which usually take the shortest route when you click the "avoid road block" button. You would expect Clarks et al to have dedicated HGV satnav though.

Not ideal, but can't be helped I suppose, took me 15 minutes just to get my car out of the space I parked it in outside our flat on underhill yesterday it was bumper to bumper traffic... did notice a parked car had the corner of its bumper knocked off further down, and one wing mirror on another a few metres further... some of the drivers are quite belligerent when it comes to giving way when having to pass parked cars, especially where the p13 is concerned.

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I don't share your optimism Sidhue .

>

???

Not me I think. And yes, the long closure is going to be a PITA. But on balance if it fixes the 3/4 times a year the main bursts and our water gets cut off, I can live with it.

Residents on Melford Rd, and our fellow sufferers on Wood Vale were already complaining to councillors about the increase in traffic over the last few years, especiallly HGVs, coaches and vans of all sizes-(thank you sat nav,) but since the Great Thames Water Disaster, it's even worse, and as you say, the behaviour of some drivers is appalling!

We held a meeting in January attended by 2 councillors, for anyone concerned by this, and even on the snowiest coldest night, 16 people turned up!

We are hoping to have a Community Council Meeting about this increase in traffic avoiding the main roads, using small side streets that aren't appropriate for such large and heavy vehicles, usually at speed.

Send me a pm if you're interested and I'll keep you posted on any updates plus the C.C.meeting date.

I live directly on LL so the past few days with (almost) no traffic has been a huge relief:)

I totally agree re: drivers behaviour. Slightly different angle here as I was watching what happens when such a busy road is closed. Drivers jumping out of their cars and moving the fences so they can drive through (!), driving on the pavements next to the people walking (!), shouting, honking, swearing etc. Must say the biggest idiots and worst behaved drivers are those on motorbikes - there are simply no words.

ab29 Wrote:

> I live directly on LL so the past few days with

> (almost) no traffic has been a huge relief:)

>

> I totally agree re: drivers behaviour. Slightly

> different angle here as I was watching what

> happens when such a busy road is closed. Drivers

> jumping out of their cars and moving the fences so

> they can drive through (!), driving on the

> pavements next to the people walking (!),

> shouting, honking, swearing etc. Must say the

> biggest idiots and worst behaved drivers are those

> on motorbikes - there are simply no words.

I walked along the closed part of LL on Tuesday afternoon coming back from Forest Hill and there was a complete idiot on a scooter who narrowly missed me as he then rode on the pavement where the fencing is.

Ampersand Wrote:

> I?m wondering how many of these people whining

> about traffic on back streets own a car.

I?m more whining about the length of time this is taking to fix and the hassle of multi-stop walks. The increased traffic hasn?t bothered me other than irate tooting. But no, I don?t own a car. Does that mean I?m allowed to whine? 😂

I?m wondering how many of those making light of the situation have been even remotely affected?

I've had to change my plans quite a bit, which I found surprising, using Honor Oak Park station which is taking over 20 mins on the P4 to get to. So bad that on Friday afternoon I spent silly money on a cab home from the West End. Also looks like I'll be cabbing it to Penge on Monday purely as I can't expect my elderly mother to go to HOP on a train to Penge West. (She can't walk to Forest Hill).

Even a trip to Sainsbury's at DKH is becoming a mission with only the P13.

Applespider Wrote:

>

> I?m wondering how many of those making light of

> the situation have been even remotely affected?

I live at the Lordship Lane end of Underhill Road and take either the 363 or P4 to work so yes, quite a bit.