steam train over Half moon lane bridge

SteveT

10 am this morning I saw a steaming locomotive crossing the bridge at Herne Hill, pulling ancient looking carriages and heading towards Dulwich.

It seemed I'd been caught in a time warp, I cannot remember when I last saw, heard, and smelled a steam train.

Because the bridge has low sides you could see the whole engine puffing out steam and he sounded his whistle as he crossed over it.

I thought it was exciting anyway.

SteveT Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> 10 am this morning I saw a steaming locomotive

> crossing the bridge at Herne Hill, pulling ancient

> looking carriages and heading towards Dulwich.

Steam in the area is quite common, next one being on Monday 22nd, http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t08/t1222a.htm

For next year see, http://www.uksteam.info/tours/trs09.htm and look out for the ones leaving Victoria (Usually) going into Kent/Sussex.

HTH

Dez Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> And if you do fancy coughing up the arm and leg to

> do the Orient Express then don't wear jeans and

> trainers! They do go to Istanbul from Paris. Looks

> good.

>

I know it costs and arm and a leg and it's a 'dress up' affair, but it would be lovely for a special occasion.

I remember an old employer of mine went on one of the trips with his wife, it was a surprise for her for their anniversary.

When ever I smell a steam train it evokes memories of Kings Cross station when I was small and going to Doncaster to see my Grannie and Granddad. For my 50th Birthday my partner took me for a trip on the Orient Express for the day, it was pulled by the Flying Scotsman, the food was fantastic too!!! We went to Salisbury to see the Cathedral, while we were waiting on the platform for the Train to return, there was a group of youngsters all trying to be very cool, ipods and mobiles in their hands, as soon as they saw the steam train the lads turned into little boys and got all excited in seeing a steam train and started to take photos with their mobile phones!! Thomas the tank engine is still keeping the romance of steam alive, thank goodness!!