Crystal Palace Road (what's it like?)

Time and the No 12 are a strange bedfellow

It is supposed to be every 5-6 minutes but can be more or less frequent, and advice is not to cut it too fine in the morning. (Rye Lane can get locked up at times as well)

The 197 is also a good substitute for the 12

Neither buses are too busy in the morning until they reach Peckham so no real worries on that score...

As for Crystal Palace Road, it is long, covered in tarmac and road humps - Does that help ?

I get on the bus at Underhill Road (near CPT) and if I get a 12 I always get a seat, not so easy on the 197, but it's never too full to get on. I don't often find I have long to wait for a bus.

I tend to have to wait longer in the evening to get bus back from Peckham Rye, but that's probably cos I often work quite late.

I've lived on Crystal Palace Road since the summer - I like it, not too noisy but easy to get to Lordship Lane.

The Goose Green end of Crystal Palace Road is lovely, one of the best spots in ED in my opinion.

The Plough end is a bit more scruffy, but still not bad. The Castle pub has been known to get a little boisterous from time to time, but it's not a huge problem.

As for the buses... I honestly don't know why they bother publishing timetables because they seem totally random to me. The number 12 has always seemed like the most frequent route in the area though, as far as I can tell.

Half way down Crystal Palace Rd is close to ideal for the area I would say. CPT and the Medical Centre on your doorstep, equidistant from the 12 bus route on one side and the 40/176/185 combo on the other, Peckham Rye Park a short walk away, Oh and you get to pick up parcels much more easily than most other addresses

I lived on Friern Rd and walk down Crystal Palace Rd several times a week and all times of the day and I think you will love it there

Crystal Palace Road is a nice road, I lived there for many years, never had any problems. Dodn't remember seeing any lawless behavious like fights or anything like that.

As someone said, the PO collection office is just down the road and plenty of buses either on Barry Road or Lordship Lane, Heber School nearby and a couple of pubs not too far away.

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> So you're moving to Crystal Palace Road and you

> haven't even checked it out yet? Blimey! Look

> don't worry, it's a fine road, quiet long too and

> halfway down it's got the CPT so lucky you.

Well yes we have checked it out - we viewed the house a few times and had a walk over there and the area seems nice and quiet, but I don't think you get a real feel for an area til you've lived there. We are moving quite close to the Castle (If I've remembered the name of the pub correctly).

The castle pub divides opinion on this board only slightly less than the threat/promise of a tesco metro arriving in the area. It deals in very good guinness at an exceptional price. On the downside it is mostly patronised by what I assume are probably working class natives who have a tendency to drink away what they don't spend in one of the areas numerous bookmakers. It can get a bit noisy but there is rarely any trouble and any violence (rare!) is usually directed towards another pleb anyway. This end of CPR is good for the library, the park, the plough, buses, and local stores including a v good diy /plumbing store, a couple of friendly corner shops, badger bakers (old school, basic but decent i.e. No ?5 organic sourdough loaves or monmouth espresso here, it's more crusty rolls and coconut cheesecakes) but it's only a 10min stroll to northcross rd and LL for a more upmarket shopping/dining/drinking experience.You do have Le moulin on your doorstep. It's a bit of a throwback restaurant, some might say stuck in a timewarp, but at least one poster on here loves it. Have a search for it, try it out and let us know what you think. Good luck with the move.

I used to live about 10 metres from the Castle. There has been trouble there, but it's not like it kicks off every day. I think in 5 years, I saw 2 big fights spill out onto the road. Of course, like all pubs you get people standing outside drinking, smoking, talking on the phone... but presumably you've already figured that out, and it only affects you if you're very close!

Le Moulin actually do some quite nice food... although some of the dishes are distinctly unappetising - e.g. pork in pineapple sauce, the kind of thing which may have seemed adventurous at a dinner party in 1978. But not everything is like that. Definitely worth a try. The Plough is a decent enough pub (you should have seen it a couple of years ago!) with quite passable food. And of course you have the library and plenty of local shops.

Dulwich park is a short walk away, and is a very nice place to while away the summer afternoons. Dulwich Village is close too. You can walk to East Dulwich station in 15 mins if you go along the full length of Melbourne Grove.

There is is monkey puzzle near the bottom. Which is the nicer end, as someone else has said.

The presence of the seepy tea definitely makes this a good road (probably as long as you don't live next door/opposite)

The 12s are okay, though you do experience the occasional strange moment (drug dealing on the bus, he he). Note that TfL is to withdraw the bendy buses and replace them with buses that don't kill so many people. I loved the 12 when it was a Routemaster, and still went to Notting Hill - not so long ago.

Horsebox Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> The castle pub divides opinion on this board only

> slightly less than the threat/promise of a tesco

> metro arriving in the area.

There's already one on East Dulwich Road.

> On the downside

> it is mostly patronised by what I assume are

> probably working class natives who have a tendency

> to drink away what they don't spend in one of the

> areas numerous bookmakers. It

> can get a bit noisy but there is rarely any

> trouble and any violence (rare!) is usually

> directed towards another pleb anyway.

Assume this was tongue in cheek, but ouch.

I can see the Castle pub from my back garden and can honestly say in 8 years of living here we've never experienced any trouble from its patrons. The noise level goes up a little around St Patrick's day, but even then its far from unbearable. Saying that I've only been in the pub a couple of times, once for a drink and once to get them to put up pictures of my lost cat (and look in their cellars), both times the staff couldn't have been nicer. I really like this part of CP road - its quiet, convenient for all buses, you can catch all the buses going up Lordship Lane from the junction of Heber/Lordship lane or the 12 down Barry, and as others have said, you;re a stone's throw from the CPT, ED's best pub by far.

Enjoy x