Dulwich park Fair

bob

There was a poster in one of the shops on Northcross Road, and it was in all the Dulwich Festival literature. It was good, especiall hte green tent. Kinda low-key, with the stalls dotted around. Nero

It was lovely - beautiful weather, some interesting stalls. the park looked great, fantastic live music. Bumped into several firends and the Pavilion Cafe was surprisingly empty soenjoyed a quiet cup of tea in the middle of a Sunday afternoon. Knew about it through the Dulwich Festival literature.

The dotted around layout was distinctly odd - it rather spoilt it in my view. Whoever was responsible might need a refresher course in Event Management.

citizen

Agree Citizen Ed with the layout biz. Knew about the fair 'cos a family friend had a stall in the craft bit in the picture gallery - shame it was ?2.50 to get in just to even have a look. They said it had been pretty quiet.

We popped along - it was very nice and surprisingly big I thought. But boy was there some traffic chaos on College Road - we got jammed up for 20 mins between the South Circular and the College Road gate because every P4 that was on the roads was trying to get down what had become a single track road due to parking on both sides, and no-one could move at all! Made me all the more curious about the fair, which obviously had drawn a big crowd.

Slightly ironic that a 'green fair' caused traffic chaos! Particularly when the ads (and agree there were hardly any of them, we just spotted one on the park gates last weekend) did say to leave the car at home and get there by bus or public transport. Obviously too far to walk from the outer reaches of Dulwich Village, best pop the small child in the 4 x 4 and do battle with all those terrible muddy tracks one has to negotiate en route to the park.

I was one of the organizers of the Green Fair in Dulwich Park, and I'm glad to hear it was enjoyed. I was very proud - a massive event organized by a very dedicated band of volunteers.

It was advertised in the Dulwich Festival programme, of which 40,000 are delivered to local households and shops, libraries etc. It was also on the excellent website www.dulwichfestival.co.uk. We did put up a few posters, but mainly very locally ie in the Village and the park itself. One of the reasons for this is that the Festival has over 50 events and we can't put up posters for all of them so we leave the posters for the events that really need the extra promotion.

As for the suggestion that the layout was rubbish - I agree with that to a certain extent! The reason that, for example, some of the stalls seemed very isolated was that we wanted to make sure that the activities/events that had to be in certain places (like the green tent) weren't left all alone - the idea was to line the route to them with stalls. But I don't think that tactic worked and we probably won't do it again.

Any other comments gratefully received. x

You should be proud it was great. Full of hidden treasures and entertaining things for kids and adluts. And clearly well attended. That's why I think it should have had a bit more promotion. I nearly missed out!

I was in the park on saturday for the fun run and also during the week and didnt notice anything.

I spoke to quite a few locals who didnt know about it. I had glanced at the festival leaflets too. clearly the info just hadnt gone into my brain!

Could you have had one of those banners up at the gates or something? I thought it was just going to be the funfair as that was advertising itself quite well on saturday.

It would have been nice to know in advance about the no parking too, I think that should have been up on the banner at least the day before if not the week?

Thanks for your kind comments.

Don't get me started on banners though....okay, go on then. There was a ban on banners from Southwark Council. It was lifted just before the Festival started, but too late to get any banners printed. So the Festival as a whole, and the Green Fair, suffered from a lack of promotion that our banners normally give. Even now we've been told we can display banners only up to a certain size. But no-one seems to know what that size is! It's very frustrating.

We had a stall (It's A Green Thing) at the Festival Fair on Goose Green where we met and talked to loads of lovely people. Only about 10% of them knew about the Green Fair. I think this is partly because the Dulwich Festival doesn't have as big a profile in ED as it does elsewhere (which is something I'm trying to change).

But have definitely taken everyone's comments about lack of promotion on board, and will be acting on it when preparing for next year.

Thanks everyone

vicksg

It was I who started this thead to find out why the poor advertising I agree with mightyroar no signs or posters or even this way in. But apart from the lay out you should be congratulated we had a realy good time

Bob S

The event was organised by many different organisations,Not a lot of awareness in Ed unfortunately,but i do know some of the event organisers and they have asked some of the Ed shopkeepers if they want to help with the organisation next in the respect of advertising in key places,like The organic wholefood shop,The local healthstore and Karavan the new dulwich eco shop.Hopefully most of the shops on LL will help in raising awareness,all the shopkeepers have a good working relationship and they are already working with southwark council on issues of sustainability and recycling.