pavement bling- gold studs in the pavement

I thought it might be private property too Ant, but not 100% sure.

I've seen them used when they appear to mark utilities too.

It makes me wonder why the council would mark and pave those private areas, but not the ones lower down on LL and NC Road.

Feel I'm being a bit boring about this, but these metal studs are not taught as standard to the visually impaired - other pavement "bobbles" are (found in "slabs", showing direction of curbs for crossing roads).

Incaitatus, is there some really hot new technology (of which the majority of VI people are unaware)? Please explain how it works.

I've always understood the brass studs to show the limit of the private property, taught to me as a biker.... to explain, park your motorbike within the studs and the traffic wardens can't give you a ticket. It's what I always used to do in central London anyway.

NB - no responsibiity taken for any parking tickets incurred due to dodgy advice...

As I understood it, brass studs are used as an alternative to blister paving and that its incorporation is purely on aesthetic not technological grounds.

As demonstrated by Unkle_Paulie's www.specialpaving.co.uk link.

Jackangel, I confess I?m only drawing from memory on what I've seen at some pedestrian crossings and read with regard to English heritage and the DFT advice to local councils. You've obviously got a thorough knowledge about what is standard for the visually impaired thus are far more informed than me and most probably right.

There are brass studs in the pavement in Grove Vale between Elsie Road and Derwent Grove. These were put in place when Grove Vale was narrowed to "improve" traffic flow and create the modified bus stop.

In Lordship Lane between Spurling Road and Crawthew Grove alternating red paving slabs have been used.

As far as I know, both types are approximate boundary markers.

Incitatus, sorry to rattle your cage. We are talking about the single brass studs that are placed some distance apart forming (apparently) a line or boundary - not the blistering used for VI. Suggest you read more carefully - English Heritage, DFT, Forum postings, etc, etc, etc.

Spadetownboy, if you're right, I'll be down there tonight with my thing for getting stones out of horses hooves (or gold out of pavements).

As THIS LINK shows, there are all sorts of tactile paving, and there is no standard for Visually Impaired people. I know this because I am a mobility instructor with visually impaired people.

Haven't seen the paving you're talking about though, so can't comment :-S

I did the DipHE with Guidedogs for the blind.... Similar to the RNIB course in Birmingham, but a lot more mobility!

There were only another few classes after mine, and guidedogs decided to close the school.

You seem to know a bit about it, are you in the field?

You start it, I'll join in ;-)

I did email council regarding the lighting on Whateley Road, as it's awful, and they are going to improve it this year, so that was good >:D<

Again, how is it you know so much about it all, are you in the trade, or VI yourself, or something else?????

jackangel, thanks for the suggestion about reading more carefully. I didn't realise we'd already established what the brass studs where.

Keef, interesting to hear that there is no standard tactile paving for the visually impaired and that brass studs are used.