How long should it take to cycle to Victoria/Kensington

I work on fulham road near south ken and it takes me 40 min. going via Brockwell park/across Clapham common. I've found it can be closer to 30 going via Camberwell and Vauxhall (basically the 185 route), but I usually take the long way to avoid the Champion Hill hill and bad morning traffic on Camberwell New Road.

Takes me 20 mins to Pimlico ,so I'm sure 30 mins for your journey would do it. I'm definitely not fit but found it so much easier and qucker than the bus.

Be encouraged ,I'm sure you'd love it.

We need some clever person to suggest a route though .

I always try and avoid the 185 route - Dog Kennel Hill,Camberwell Green ,and absolutely NOT Camberwell new Rd up to the Oval.

Here's some of my efforts

straight across at the end of Townley Rd up ( traffic free but bit spooky in the dark ) Greendales at the side of JAGS.

Across Denmark Hill ,left and right ( not exact ) and down the first bit of Herne Hill Rd ( with the LIbrary )take a left and and a right ( again not exact ) and straight down Poplar Rd ( I think ) .

Brings you out at Loughborough junction where you go straight across and keep going straight ,across major junction, then left and this brings you out near the Oval.

On the way back ,just past Vauxhall I keep straight on down Kennington Lane ,past the TESCO'S ,turn right at lights

across main road straight on and then

turn left ,then right and you come to

Kennington Park Rd which you can cross by turning right and tiny bit of pavement cycling and then across traffic lights

down ( not sure of name ) road opposite and along side of park ,parllel to gahstly Camberwell New Rd .

Go straight until you reach John Ruskin St where you turn right and then left down Bethwin Rd

and straight across Camberwell Rd, thru Addington Square

,across main road ,and straight on down Edmund Rd ( bit scary in the dark as a bit deserted but only a short bit ) and then straight on down

Benhill Rd which brings you out to main rd btwn Camberwell And Peckham ( Peckham Rd ) .

I normally go straight across up Wilson Rd and left and right ( not accurate ) into Camberwell Grove.( which is not as steep as you might think ).

I've tried a few alternatives but quite like the 185 route after Camberwell, though I sometimes get slowed by being safe around the bendys. At Vauxhall, you can go over the crossing with the pedestrians, then out on to the bridge with the 185/36/436.

After Vauxhall, I go west up Vestry Road passed Pimlico school then by the river till Battersea and north over the Kings Road to Queensgate. I average on 50 mins, but that's from Peckham, and including taking the bike out of my house and dodging undergrads to get to my college bike park.

TFL do a cycling route finder, it's brilliant to watch the tfl little bike do the route, have spent many happy minutes watching the little bike cycling thru london.

Friends have him do 6 hour rides, it's been a competition.sad.

Anyway don't believe the route get an a to z and find your own. All the above are good, i wouldn't do the 185 one although i do have to, on some of my journey ,cyclcling is great.

When i started i was so thrilled i went back to my northern roots and was saying hello to everyone, to bemused smiles, anyway it wore off after a few weeks but getting into work even if you start off feeing shite you'll feel invigarted, but knackered.