The Dog @ Christmas

Following a brisk walk around Dulwich Park we retired to the Dog for a Christmas drink before returning home for presents, more drink, more food and old movies. The place was mobbed with families, children and dogs - great atmosphere but .......

On ordering a "Whisky Mac" for Mrs MM I was asked by the barmaid - "what is that?". Once it was explained she disappeared and returned, obviously not having understood, with a Whisky, Ice, Lemon and Ginger Ale - not the classic winter warmer of one part whisky, one part Ginger Wine.

A pub that sets itself up as part of Victorian London heritage - with real ales etc should be able to produce ginger wine and know what a Whisky Mac is surely?

Follow up - having walked around Greenwich Park before watching "Australia" at the Greenwich Picture House drinks at the Trafalgar Tavern also failed the Whisky Mac test.

I may have to start a campaign to bring back dusty bottles of Stones Ginger wine to be stored at the back of every pub's cocktail shelf.

BTW - "Australia" is OK. Ignore the reviews it's sweeping, over the top, smalchy and very Baz Lurman but lots of fun in a kind of sub "Gone with the Wind" fashion. It probably bears as much relation to the history of Australia as GWTW did to the US Civil War but still a fun 3 hours at the cinema.

We walked in to the main bar, the place was rammed and there were a heck of a lot of kids in there. Couldn't even get to the bar so we tried the other side. Waited for what seemed like an age, so we gave up an left.

Not a complaint as such, more of an observation but I won't be hurrying back on Xmas day. I can't believe how few bar staff they had on.

Nice and busy on Xmas day, and had a lovely couple of pints. The whisky mac thing is cultural I think. I.e. young people have no culture and therefore cannot understand the attraction of anything ginger (er, does this sound OK?), anyway it's all down to training. Last time I requested said same drinkie in The Dog they didn't even have any Stones Ginger wine let alone understood what I was talking about.

Saw Sean Mc in there but, despite my best efforts to catch his eye I don't think he recognised me at all. But no Lush this year, standards are dropping!

I did notice you at a table next to me sean, over the quieter side of the bar. I was flitting between tables but I think my kids were being little buggers sat right behind you. Service over that side of the bar was particularly awful, nobody there at all most of the time.

I've spotted a few of you a couple of times in the Plough when I was with my other half.

He's shy and anti-social so has banned me from introducing him to anyone.

I do manage a sneaky, impromptu intro when I am a foot away from one of you, but other than that, I can only manage a half grin (trying to keep the peace), so please come up and force yourself on us, if I look like I'm being held hostage!