Door knocking scammers again on St Aidan's?

About 15 mins ago a young woman knocked on the door - "from No.16" - we are a long way up the street - she spoke to the missus and apologised for meeting the neighbours in such circumstances but said her electric had gone off and she needed ?6 to put on her key as she was freezing along with her 2 boys - I was then asked for said money and spoke to the woman and offered to check the house out first - she said don't bother and walked off. I then walked down there to see the lights blazing confirming my theory that it was some ridiculous scam and she never lived there at all. Anyone else get a knock from dubious neighbours tonight.

This happened to me a few years back, when I lived on Tintagel Crescent. A guy knocked on the door, said he lived at number 9 and had locked himself out and left his keys in his studio in Central London. He needed money for a cab there and would pay me back :-S

Unfortunately, for him, I knew the neighbours at number 9. I just told him that I had no change and he left.

To be honest, if I hadn't known the real residents, I probably would have believed him, he was very convincing.

My other half got scammed into this about a year ago or so, again very convincing, we live on Landells Rd. DP felt very stupid and very angry for believing and giving some money (not much but still) as we always like to believe the best in people...

It makes me wonder though, if you're intelligent enough to come up with a clever idea like that, why not challenge your energies into something more honest and rewarding, as you'd more than likely be quite succesful IYKWIM.

Edited to say, I've just realised how naive that sounds :-$

I've had people knock at my door before saying they are selling sofas and three piece suites. Interested to read ChavWivaLawDegree's post about seeing the best in people. I'm one of life's pessimists and am always suspicious, and then pleasantly surprised when things don't turn out as badly as I imagined. I had one of my actual neighbours come knocking at my door a while ago, saying she had run out of electricity. I believed that she didn't have any electricity, but didn't believe her reasons for not having any, and didn't give her any money. Didn't want to encourage her to keep knocking on my door to be honest. It's sad that people get themselves in a mess, but living in SE London, I tend not to want to get involved. I'm new to this forum, by the way, so hi everyone.

I gave up trying to see the best in people years ago - most of us in London distrust anyone we don't know, and with good reason. If someone approaches you, the majority of the time they'll be trying to rip you off, or begging for money for booze or drugs, or trying to push their vile beliefs on you.

jollybaby, the guy who approaches you sounds like the con-artist formerly known as "staple-neck man" - a fairly well-known local character! You'd be hard pushed to see the best in him...

Hi Crystal Tips,

Same happened to my boyfriend 2 nights ago, we're on Upland Rd. Said she was from "no 120" and her meter had run out. He offered to boil the kettle for a cuppa, but she declined and was on her way. She was after ?7.

Sad to be scamming at Christmas time...

Yeah, big big scar in his neck... probably doesn't have staples in it any more though. There was a thread about him last year... apparently he used to say things like "Don't worry, I won't rape you", before asking for money. He followed me around the supermarket once!

Don'y you just luv da 'uman race sumtimes!

Like the Guy who helped fit my bedroom carpet years ago and before I gave him the final ?10 to settle up he gave me a lecture on NEVER settling up fully until all the work was completed.He mentioned he had to shoot off but come back one more time to straigten the new carpet as I could not open the"cot"/"luggage" room off ny bedroom.

He said he was "different" and would come back--the xxxxxx never did!(and remember this is the same Guy who told me NEVER to fully settle up!):))

It has happened to me before when I lived in peckham about 4 years ago - that story was about a car being towed away and someone needing money for a taxi so I stood on the doorstep and asked for the reg number and phoned up the council and got through to the car pound and he just stood there and there was no record of his car - so I apologised and said I couldn't give him the tenner he wanted.

I only posted it as an alert really, i have seen similar posts on here, bit of a gut feeling thing really - I don't like being scammed - I play music in my spare time and do a load of pro-bone work so to speak - but this just was odd - I won't even get onto the door to door cleaning products people last summer....