Burglars Code Information

May sound silly but was reading an article the other day on the forum when someone wrote in explaining that burglars use a form of code i,e a chalk mark or something like that on your wall or on your gate i have tried to find the article so i could see if any more info was updated if any of the forum readers have please reply

These threads worry me for the simple reason that, under the guise of "trying to help people" all it does is probably stoke up lots of rumours and prejudices. Being burgled is horrible, it's happened to me and anyone who has lived with me subsequently has to put up with my cautiousness... but come on

Let's say there definitely is a code and it's definitely being used by burglars. And you spot one outside your house. Now what? Are you going to ring the police? And tell them what? Are you going to double-check your security? Why aren't you doing that anyway?

If you want to see how conversations like this develop

Here's an example

Another example

Am I being really dopey, but if you're a burglar, don't you want to keep the spoils for yourself rather than highlight to all and sundry (other burgulators) that here is a house ripe for the picking? Because then they might get there before you... Or are these amnesiac burglars who can't remember which houses they've scoped..?

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Let's say there definitely is a code and it's

> definitely being used by burglars. And you spot

> one outside your house. Now what?

erm... remove the mark? Double check windows before leaving the house? Put a note next to communal entrances? Hide away items of personal value?

I'm cynical regarding the whole thing, but it doesn't deserve to be shot out of the water.

but could that not equally be a mark left by a utility company? If the marks left are known generally to be burglar marks then the burglars are unlikely to use them

I dunno - I'm not trying to shoot anything out of the water - it's just this story seems to a perennial in the media and never seems to coagulate into anything meaningful

Im a probation officer and met hundreds of burlgars over the years. to be honest it sounds pretty unlikley that they would have some sort of code only known to other burglars. 99.9% are drug addicts looking for an opportunity and far removed from professional "raffles" types. its true they can get fairly adept at breaking into properties however i have never heard of any degree of organisation or code or anything else like that , so if it is true it most be so rare as to be not worth worrying about.

I can't believe they would have a code either, as Rosie said I'm sure they wouldn't leave a mark for others in the know to spot - I can't see burglars being that co-operative. And all it would do is alert homeowners that their house/flat had been singled out.

No no no people, I'm sure it's not burglars but more than likely the postman is letting his fellow posties know that your debit card has been safely intercepted and would they kindly keep an eye out for the P.I.N number that's on it's way. Pretty obvious when you think about it.

I've seen a police info document re this subject, with some examples-I work in Community Safety. Unfortunately I am not allowed to reveal them, they are meant as messages to other burglars, who maybe work in partnership. Originally we were told the chalk marks were messages between the 'travelling' community, who work in groups. How true that is I am uncertain, could just be racist?