magnolia kitchen

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hoorah! I've been meaning to pop in for a while.

> By the way what time do you open on Fridays? As I

> was thinking of nipping in with a couple of young

> ladies for a spot of lunch. Probably the week

> after though.

Taking a couple of young ladies for lunch, sir? But 'probably the week after'?

The week after what, exactly? Will these particular young ladies learn that there is really no such thing as a free lunch?

Honestly JL, I'm torn between somewhat envious admiration and insisting you be horsewhipped on the steps of your club.

(That's by the fathers of the young ladies in question, of course, not themselves).

• 2 weeks later...
Went past this morning and there was a sign saying open for breakfast from 9 -12 and then open for lunch. Didn't have time today to go in today but did anyone and if so what was it like? Might try it at the weekend but since it changed it always seemed an evening and sunday lunch pub.

I have just come back from eating dinner there - the menu is quite pedestrian but the chef (Tunisian) can really season well, and may be encouraged to introduce more interesting dishes - we discussed tagines. It was his second day, and I guess he may have chosen a 'safe' menu with predictably popular dishes to start with. He claims to cook from a French tradition; I have no reason to dispute this. I saw a rib-eye being cut - the quality of meat looks good and the steaks were of pleasing width. The service was attentive (but there weren't many customers to put it under pressure). The chef asked whether I had thought about breakfast - clearly they want to make a thing of this. It may be stupidly reassuring to hear chefs back chat in French in the kitchen, but it is reassuring anyhow.

I had a girls lunch there today with another forumite and it was lovely.

Good, simple, well cooked, well seasoned, chunky sandwiches and crispy thin chips.

The only downside was that we were the only people in there.

I didn't think I could love this pub any more than I already did, but I do. I'll definitely be back for brunch soon.

I think its principally a pub for girls/ladies to have a chat and some food. I'm not sure there is sufficient demand for this for the pub to survive. Everyone seems to say its lovely but also tend to say there were very few people in it. I hope it survives but I preferred the old pub, sorry.

Mick Mac Wrote:

> I think its principally a pub for girls/ladies to

> have a chat and some food. I'm not sure there is

> sufficient demand for this for the pub to survive.

We head there more often than we head anywhere else. I'd say it's my favourite pub in the area at the mo, and i'm a fella. It's not packed out during the day, but it's not a workin-chaps-lunchtime-pint venue so it's not going to be. It seems to be doing well in the evenings. I hope it says putt (sp?).

SteveT Wrote:

> I miss the old comedy club, best thing about that pub by a streak.

Me too... had some really great nights there, that was one of the best things about ED. I know the Hob isn't that far away, but it's not quite the same. Saying that, I prefer the new Magnolia to the previous bright-yellow-paint version of the Magdala.

In my humble opinion, the Magnolia is by far the best place to go for a Sunday roast locally. I have often been left disappointed and spent a long time avoiding pubs for a roast because the quality can often be lacking, portions are small, or I can simply make a much better meal at home. This is not the case with the Magnolia, the quality is excellent, portions are huge and the service is very attentive and friendly. It has quickly become my favourite pub on Lordship Lane.

Oh yes, and guess what? I am a bloke too, and all the other blokes present from our party went away impressed, very merry and satisfied. The women loved it too.

Dulwich_ Park_ Fairy Wrote:

> PLEASE PLEASE no sports - there are plenty of

> other pubs in ED, please keep the Magnolia

> sport-free

>

> There really isn't though. The CPT is a useless

> space for watching sport, which just leaves the

> Vale and the EDT. We promise to leave before 7

> o'clock, honest.

xxxxxx

But we're often there in the afternoon - and do not want a telly interfering with our relaxation :)

Doesn't Hoopers have a telly? You could have sport and an excellent range of ales as well!