Recycling boxes (please stop nicking them)

TJ

Could the person who keeps nicking our recycling box / bag from Hillcourt Rd pls stop it? It is really easy to get replacements from the council. It's starting to get on my nerves - and I am short of fuse.

Before anyone asks, no it wasn't the bin men.

Easy to get them from the council you say??? It took the Bilge Eating Bureauchimps 6 flippin' months to deck us out with the full ensemble and then one by one we lost them all to the ether. I've taken to stowing the detritus in my bell bottoms ala The Great Escape and taking a stroll across the Rye leaving a Hansel & Gretel style Rubbish trail behind me. Broken Britain indeed!

do what i did. it may seem a bit silly, but since i took action, no one has nicked our box since. I spray painted the number and street name on all sides with a message to the whole street that the box belonged to us and please kindly, stop bloody pinching it. got a few odd looks at first, but it always ends up back in our front garden. (tu)

I've always found Southwark Council to be really good/quick at replacing recycling bags/boxes which have gone missing ....

Though I agree it's a pain to have to keep requesting replacements - what on earth happens to all the original ones??

I think the bags blow away quite easily - but the boxes??

It's the foxes. They steal them to help build the fortress they're creating at the heart of Peckham Rye Common. What was once your recycling bin will soon be the cornerstone of their revolutionary HQ. They use the bags to create uniforms. Keep an eye out, your brown bin may be next.

It's not just people nicking them - the recyclers sometimes just shove them back any old where and not necessarily in the garden whence they plucked them.

As a consequence we've lost many a recycling bag, but when I've been in the house and on my guard, I have nipped out and reclaimed while the lorry was still a distant rumble by the Rye.

Be wary, be alert, be nimble - and yours shall be the recycling receptacles.

thankfully ours havent got knicked but someone (and I assume the bin man) put one inside the other and now they are stuck and with all my muscles and might I have tried to get them apart so now there really isnt enough space for us all to recycle..

will have to get Jaws on to the council about getting a new one!

I rang Southwark Council a few weeks before Christmas requesting a new blue bag. The person I spoke to said they had run out and would put me on a waiting list. She said it would be about 3 months before I got a new one!!!

Fortunately a nice bin man dumped someone elses bag in our garden so now we're using that. They aren't all bad you know :)

• 2 weeks later...

Just home after a spot of dinner and our recycling bag (FULL!) has been nicked from Upland Road. If you are the culprit hang your head in shame, it's pathetic.

I'll now have to order more from the council - that's what you should have done mr /ms thieving *@!&$**!

Amazed this has happened in this day and age. Sorry to innocent others for this rant but this has really got my goat.