The Uplands - transformed!

Sue

Blimey, I just popped into the Upland Tavern to confirm the room booking for Alasdair Roberts, and couldn't believe how much it has changed.

It always seemed to totally lack atmosphere - not a place I would want to stay in for any length of time - and now it looks really cosy and inviting.

Didn't notice what beer they had, but may well find myself pulled in this direction in future instead of towards the CPT (I live halfway between the two, hooray!)

:)-D

I think they have four or five rooms, some are en-suite, but if not, the communal bathroom is large and clean and close by.

In June when my parents stayed there it was ?60 a night for a double with en-suite (room only, no brekkie) if memory serves, and the room was a good size, clean and comfortable. The new manager, who's name now escapes me, is also really friendly and the staff were helpful.

E

I think they have four rooms.

The single room is ?40 plus ?4.40 (I think) for breakfast.

We only looked at the single room as that was what we were booking, and it was absolutely fine and seemed good value for London.

BUT

We were disappointed on Saturday night, went there just after 11pm to check it out by actually having a drink there (and to see what beers they had), assuming it would be open to midnight, and it was already closed with the chairs stacked up on the tables. Ended up at the CPT - again .....

I had a very questionable meal there about three weeks, and wouldn't recommend it. After they ran out of burgers (which were on the menu, and which we all fancied - breakfast seems to have disappeared) the waitress was scared to relay my friend's request for a slightly alterated menu option for fear of upsetting him! This all despite the fact that we were enthusiastic and willing paying customers. They were also unable to provide us with a bill until we'd already paid! I used to highly rate the place for a decent brunch post-party but haven't been there since.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmm. We had lunch there last Saturday.

They had "run out of" the fish and chips (at 1pm with no sign of anybody actually eating lunch) so we had the "Cumberland sausage and mash".

It arrived looking absolutely beautiful, and we got all excited. A lovely mound of mash with huge bangers tastefully arranged around the sides, and a sprig of real thyme on top.

Sadly, the sausages were completely tasteless and I would be surprised if they had even been waved past a pig, as they seemed to be mostly that other stuff they put in sausages - rusk? - and they had a really horrible smooth texture.

The potato was also tasteless despite having fresh parsley in it and a few stems of chives scattered about (three types of real herb on one plate, but none of it seemed to add anything except a bit of greenery).

The peas were alright.

It was about seven quid each.

Next time we're going back to Franklins for their Welsh rarebit/rabbit which is not only much tastier but also cheaper! Better beer too.

Sorry Uplands, must do better.

We do like your new look though :)