Dulwich Wood House

SE22_164

I had the misfortune to eat at the Dulwich Wood House last night. Whilst the refurbishment of the building has produced a really nice internal space, tastefully decorated and furnished, I am sad to say that my dining experience there was marred by truly shocking service and sub-standard food.

One of our party had asked for a beer before dinner and the accompanying glass was dirty. When he asked for a replacement glass, the one he was given was still hot and wet, having just been retrieved from the glasswasher. The waitress looked completely nonplussed when asked to bring another, so it was explained that he didn't want to put cold beer into a warm glass. When she returned with the third glass of the experience, it was dirty like the first! By this time, he couldn't face going through it again and ended up wiping the glass himself before pouring the beer.

Of the meals we ordered, having asked for mussels as a starter, a main course sized pot was brought, for which we were charged the princely sum of ?10.95. I had pate, which was ok and my friend ordered the special starter of salmon and dill mousse, which he said was indedible.

For the main course, one of the party ordered the burger, which came in a microwave defrosted bun, which was cold and wet (not just soggy) in the middle. The steak and ale pie I ordered arrived in an individual portion soup bowl with a tepid pastry lid on the top. I say on the top, because the lid only came up to half way up on the inside of the bowl. One ordered fish and chips (claggy batter) and the other ordered belly of pork, which she said wasn't nice either.

As the still half full plates were being cleared away, I pointed out the wet burger bun, only to be told "if you'd have said something earlier I could have done something about it", which I am sure is not what she meant literally, but still, it came across badly.

Whilst you have to try something to know what it's like, I felt robbed at the end of the night and certainly wouldn't go there again to eat.

Curious to know if anyone had a similar experience or whether we were just unlucky last night.

Just after they'd done the refurb I thought I'd go in there and have lunch. Had a look around and couldn't work out who they were aiming the pub at. I think someone in marketing had gone 'Oh, Dulwich, ABC1', without even bothering to visit. Anyway the food was passable for a quick bite but every other minute or so, one or other of the staff kept asking me if everything was all right. The last time I was asked I was so fed up I asked if something as supposed to be wrong and what was the problem? Customer care should start with the food and drink not the feedback from mediocrity.

It's such a shame as it used to be a lovely pub with a great garden in the summer, as did the Grove (now the Harvester) only a few years ago. It'll be the Dog next, mark my words.

I ate there on Thursday night. First time in about 3 years and only went as I had heard it had been refurbished. I too, was disappointed.

It looks great and the finish on the redurb is really good - take is from a surveyor (well, nearly) who looks at the details. But shame they didn't spend a bit more money on the chef/menu/staff training. It was practically empty - a bit unusual for a Thursday night, non? Maybe just its location?

I had the pate followed by the chicken and chorizo pot. Perhaps my mistake for ordering two things that came with bread, but I did think the breads might be different. Instead it was the same, very dull, thick browm wedge that accompanied both. Don't get me wrong - I like brown breads, soda breads, wholemeal breads sour dough breads etc but this was just plain boring. The pate and the pot dish were ok, but nothing speacial.

Prices were quite high for a pub. Didn't feel like value for money at all.

And the waitress was a bit strange. I too felt the watchful eye a bit too much and was bombarded with the 'is everything ok' questions. But maybe that was because it was so empty?

The bar area was not huge. Its tables (approx 8) would soon fill up with drinkers at busy times (if there are any). And after that, its the restaurant or the garden. OK for summer, but maybe not now as its so damn cold.

I would go back for a drink, but not to eat. It is well located for us dog walkers but I doubt they'd let the dogs come in. So for me, that makes it a summer pub, or a quick drink in the winter. Having said that, I would probably go to another pub to have that drink that wouldn't involve walking up hill or driving my car.

Never done a pub/restaurant review before. This is fun. Feel the power!!! (Evil laugh)

It seems to be the chain pubs, Youngs and M&B, that cannot meet the food expectations in Dulwich. I don't know who owns the Herne or Liquorish or the Bishop but I've almost always been pleased with the food in these establishments - maybe it is because the big chains have a countrywide standard which is not as high as is expected in Dulwich and hence the independent outlets thrive as they set higher standards.

The Plough for example: an earlier thread said it was an M&B pub, I would never eat there again after eating there twice about 6 months ago. Its a shame as its at the end of my road but the food is just not good - I tend now to stick to the places that have not let me down. I won't be going to Dulwich Wood House either after these posts, thanks for the warning.

6 months ago I would have agreed about the Plough food but they have revamped the menu recently (which I think means ticking different boxes on the order form) and it is more edible now.

But it does get to the nub of why I hate chains so much. I now know that even when I go back to Exeter and visit my favourite pubs I will get exactly the same rubbish version of a steak "pie" that I do in the Clock House and the Wood House. And that's bad enough but charging gastropub prices for microwave food is bang out of order

The Bishop is edging closer to a chain - there are what, 4 of them now? But Scott is still hands on enough to have his stamp, the food has always been decent and has got better of late IMO (him listening to feedback, unlike a head office going "well, the balance sheet says...." and if I go and stay up the country I won't be eating anywhere like it. It's local to the area

Spoke to Mrs MacGabhann (town planner) who informs me that legally chains become chains after 9 establishments. Sounds about right. That;s when you surely lose any control of what you started

Liqourish has had some shocking periods too but appears to be getting back on track. Not to my taste mind you, but tangibly "of quality"

Pubcos - I don't mind you existing but please - let the landlord buy his beer where he/she can, and let them cook real food of their own choosing instead of the baby-food pap you send down to them

I had forgotten about the wedges of brown bread that came with the pate; wholly inappropriate. Should've been something toasted, or at least a bread that didn't break up into coarse breadcrumbs when I tried to spread the pate on it. (On a side note - the accompanying spicy apple chutney was nice).

Contentious as this may be to some, I also didn't like the staff member with the double CBRs through her nose. I've nothing against people having piercing, but I don't think it goes in food serving environment!

I too went to the Plough after it was "refurbished" and was really disappointed. I had the black pudding starter, which was slathered in a coarse grain mustard sauce. I then had the burger, which didn't have a mililitre of moisture in it, together with what were badly cooked oven chips - as dry as the burger. Out of character for me, I complained at the time and was told that their head office policy that the meat in the burger had to be cooked to a certain internal temperature, which I think defeats the whole object of asking the customer how they want the thing cooked. (My response was, for the record, medium).

It is hard to see how places like Dulwich Wood House and The Plough can survive in this day and age when we expect more for our money. They really have to up the ante.

I was suprised at the refurb - it does seem to be more a 'restaurant' with a bar attached than a proper pub. I think the conservatory area looks like it will be nice in the summer and after a walk through the woods it's a nice spot to stop and have a pint - but I was disappointed with the menu and probably wouldn't have more than a snack there.

A group of us family and friends ate there a couple years ago and found it just as you've described - disgusting. It was added to our must-avoid list of local so-called restaurants. A recent fresh addition to the list is Piaf in the Village after a farcical Christmas Day experience and probably the worst meal I've ever been served. They didn't charge me for it but I would have preferred a nice dinner!

EDOldie Wrote:

>

> It's such a shame as it used to be a lovely pub

> with a great garden in the summer, as did the

> Grove (now the Harvester) only a few years ago.

> It'll be the Dog next, mark my words.

Unfortunately I think you're spot on.

I was appalled to hear about the latest refurb at the Woodhouse, which is a pub I've been going to on and off since I was a teenager. Several friends who have been in recently say it now looks like it's trying to be more of a restaurant than a pub and it WAS a great pub but that I guess is now quite a long time ago. Unfortunately Youngs pubs have always had crap food in them but the beer makes up for it.

I'm dreading going in there to take a look for myself as I went there towards the end of the summer and it was bad enough then with the previous reverb but now it appears to have got even worse.

Standards have also slipped dreadfully in the Dog and I'm hoping that it doesn't get any worse and it is another pub that I've grown up with and been a regular in for decades.

I was there yesterday. The food was OK - Mrs Tips roast beef she said was great. I found the staff very friendly and they seemed to welcome children appreciating the need for my wee'un to run around the place. The kids menu however was a bit sophisticated for a 2 yr old. The space was nice - we ended up in a side dining room which was excellent - and we didn't book.

I would say though it was textbook gastro and I think that is a real missed opportunity. What was wrong with making the place an excellent pub doing good food without the window dressing - no money in it maybe but it is a landmark pub, was great to meet Crystal Palace friends there after a walk through the woods from the Harvester.

Oh well - hopefully among other things Barak Obama may be able to stem the gastroisation of our pubs and help us reclaim them for the masses - apart from that is the masses of people that obviously frequent these places

I've tried the food, not long after they opened and found it perfectly acceptable, if a bit overpriced. The chicken and chorizo pot was tasty and a least hot. Youngs are always expensive compared to everywhere else. Can't say the same about the clockhouse though. Been there 4 times in last 6 weeks and the food has been dreadful on each occasion. Will never eat there again. The service wasn't up to much either. Shame used to be a really friendly place, but the staff have looked as miserable as sin of late. Rye hotel then .....

I have not been inside this place since the refurb, all I remember about it is feeling as though in some sort of semi-rural timewarp with an interior formerly filled with stuffed hunting trophies and pictures of the queen mother (going back a while now). I have never been a fan of Young's, the atmosphere and the food are always just a bit too wrong for my liking, so now I have read this thread I am going to go in there and try again anyway because I have nothing better to do with my time

Louisa.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - these are not gastro pubs. A gastro pub is when a talented chef takes over a previously ailing/run down/cheap pub and starts to do good food. Properly

A pubco charging a tenner for microwaved "pie" and flock wallpaper does not a gastropub make. A 21st century pub yes, but gastropub no. I don't see anything inherently wrong with gastropubs, but there is something very cynical and horrible about the types of pubs people generally call gastropubs