Woolworths - Rye Lane

Louisa

After the sad demise of what is the very last 'department store' (I guess it could still be called that in some shape or form) along Rye Lane in Peckham, I am now very curious as to what will be replacing woolies. I hear Iceland have acquired 52 stores and Waitrose have also aquired an unspecified number too. Following some investigation, I can reveal the shop in Rye Lane has certainly not been been sold to either of the above and I am finding it very difficult to work out who in fact is in the process of acquiring this particular store. With the likes of M&S closing as opposed to opening new stores I think the chances are that they are out of the running, and the likes of poundstretchers already have a presence in Peckham. Anyone else more clued up than me on this?

Louisa.

Hi,

I heard that Tesco's were interested in the address as they have nothing in between Old Kent Road and Dulwich. They try to establish a run or route which helps the transport/movement factor. Peckham is stong in other supermarkets. If Tesco's do get it it will probably be half food / half household/clothes etc.

How about Woolworths "the fresh food people" of Australia make this their flagship UK store. Minor adjustment to the interior and keep the signage (saves on cost) and hey presto, we have Rye Lane back on a path to the golden era. (wakes up after being slapped by Mr Louisa for singing waltzing matilda in sleep).

Louisa.

You're all wrong! The main man "Pak" will snap this joint up in a flash. He probably already has. I've got a mate who lives in Finsbury Park, which is owned in its entirety by this mysterious "Pak". The whole area. From wig shops to kebabs via hoserie and haberdashery, this enigma has painted the shop signs of Finsbury Park in his signature black and green. Even their Tesco express is sponsored by the guy.

I was aghast to see him spread his wings south of the river, but now he has laid the foundations on Rye Lane (this season's must have - a wig of real human hair), it will be but a matter of time before the whole area becomes "Pakham Rye"! And then it will be the turn of SE22! ;-)