Time for residents parking

TonyQuinn

Isn't it time we had residents parking in East Dulwich, especially around Barry Road area? I don't know about everyone else, but it is getting increasingly difficult to find somewhere to park. It seems that people from outside the hood are turning up and dumping their cars for the day - their right of course - to catch the god awful number 12 bus.

Simple answer is NO

Residents around the barry road area don't want permit parking bays, they restrict parking outside your own house, cost money and stop friends visiting and delivery drivers

Please don't try and gain support here for a council based money making scheme, in times of recession no one can afford the cost just to park outside their own home...

Yep, but remembering rightly, the results of the survey weren't black and white - it's not possible to say "residents don't want...", you'd need to qualify that:

Below are the actual results in graphical format.

file.php?5,file=2944

As a quick summary, gold and pink colours are those who want parking restrictions of some kind. It's no surprise that these dominate responses amongst people who say they're affected to a 'high' degree by parking issues.

For those residents that said they had a 'high' degree of parking problems, over 80% said they wanted parking permits - and these were predominantly living in streets immediately adjacent to the north end of Lordship Lane.

However, these residents were only a small proportion of total ED residential respondents, most ED residents don't have a parking problem, and hence 54% of total respondents completely rejected any idea of parking permits. That just about squeaks a majority.

In other words, if you don't suffer directly, then you don't want to pay for protection, and you want free access to other people's roads (or parking spaces!! ;-))

The question in a democracy is whether you want to protect the rights of those living next to LL, or protect the rights of those who want to drive in to LL.

NO NO NO from me too :)

I agree it is getting slightly harder to park, but I can almost always find a place in my road, even if I have to walk a bit sometimes.

I definitely don't want residents' parking with all that entails.

it's getting harder to park because the majority of 'new' residents to ED turned their front gardens into driveways and shut of the parking to everyone else. The council should have stopped this practice by refusing to drop the kerb stones.....but maybe they wanted parking charges all along ?

AllforNun Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> it's getting harder to park because the majority

> of 'new' residents to ED turned their front

> gardens into driveways and shut of the parking to

> everyone else. The council should have stopped

> this practice by refusing to drop the kerb

> stones.....but maybe they wanted parking charges

> all along ?

xxxxxx

Not the majority, surely?

And none in my road.

The council should allocate one car space per property.

Where I live I get large vans parked outside sometimes for days. One supermarket owner hogs a space by getting a workmate to drive a second car into the space whenever it's vacated for a while.

Regarding residents driveways.The average permitted driveway is 2.5 metres wide.

An average family saloon car, say a Ford Mondeo is 4.7 metres in length.

If the car of 4.7 metres in length is on the driveway, as oppossed to being the road, an extra 2.2 metres of roadway is available for parking.

Huguenot Wrote:

Firstly very good analysis.

However:-

.."and you want free access to other people's roads (or parking spaces!! ;-))

If any one sentence perfectly summarised these Orwellian (Council dictated) Times its that one complete with symbol like it was some outrageous idea(!):)):))

Imagine it people! Guys actually want to visit other people where and when THEY want instead of when the Council dictate to you that you should!

WHAT A CONCEPT!...sooooo very rose-tinted Inner London 1970's...:-$

p.s.Obviously one should not adversely affect Residents by parking across anyones front drive.

I'm referring to the open road.