First estate agent to go from LL

Muttley

I think it's a real shame. Osbourne Stewart were a great little place, and they even offered free internet access if I remember correctly. I think it's outrageous that you all claim to support independents but allow a little gem like Osbourne Stewart to go to the dogs like that.

Plus they posted some of the best messages ever seen on this board...

I'm sure nobody gets any joy out of anyone losing their job, but I think it would be asking rather a lot for people to be sympathetic to Estate Agents as a whole when most people's experience of them are the lying, greedy, s*%ts who inhabit the moral vacuum where it appears they could sell their grandmother for a percentage!

I think it's a bit unfair to tar all estate agents with the same brush.

I've bought and sold a couple of houses over the years and I haven't had a bad experience with any of the ones I completed a transaction with, the one who sold my last house in particular did a great job.

I've more issues with the solictors involved in for all they are supposedly the "professionals".

I agree with Asset. When I sold my house the solicitor at William Bailey, Lordship Lane got just a few hundred pounds and the estate agents got thousands for really doing very little. More often than not, I had to show people round the house as all the agents did were ring me up and tell me there was a viewing and 'could you show them around please?'

I am sorry to see any business go bust, but I am less sympathetic towards certain businesses going bust....to be honest, there were/are far too many estate agents in East Dulwich and I will be glad to see some go.

Asset Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Last transaction I did the eastate agent did about

> 15 minutes work but got thousands of pounds, the

> solicitor did hours and hours and only got a few

> hundred. doesn't seem fair really.

Well, if the solictor is daft enough to offer to do it at a bargain basement price that's their choice. In any case, estate agents only get if they sell, and plenty of houses placed with them don't get sold, but they still need to make a living and cover all the costs of running the agency. I think solicitors charge you whether the sale goes through or not. I also wouldn't be surprised if most people are a lot politer to the solictor involved in the transaction than the estate agent.

Edit: I should say I am not an estate agent. I just don't like seeing all of them tarred with the same brush because I've had some who have been very professional.

Lizziedjango Wrote:

> No the solicitors don't always charge you if the

> sale doesn't go through indiepanda. And yes, I

> think most people are politer(?) - more polite -

> to the solicitor than the agent. It isn't rocket

> science why.

Kind of proving my point - is it any wonder some estate agents live down to low expectations if people think is acceptable to be rude to them purely because of their profession.

I have to admit I don't know why more people don't choose to sell their houses themselves if they really don't like estate agents. There seem to be a lot more people willing to bitch about them than there are willing to take on the work themselves. After all, if they have done "very little" it couldn't be that difficult to do yourself....

Oh, and I was charged by solictors for both sales I started that didn't go through, so some certainly do charge - I don't believe I said they always charge.

Jamma Wrote:

> Ha ha ha. Osbourne Stewart were a disgrace to the

> estate agent name. And that's saying something.

I'm no fan of Estate Agents and Osbourne Stewart were particularly rubbish but ?Ha Ha Ha?!

I think you should post an apology for such shameless schadenfreude

Why are people trying to defend estate agents? It's not just acceptable to be rude to them it's acceptable to key their cars and kick them in the shins (at the least).

The sign in the window says Osbourne Stewart have moved, not gone out of business. I presume some folk have lost jobs but does anyone know that for sure? What we do know for sure is that the people that worked there were lame as anything.

I did sell a flat myself through a property website, it quite clearly stated on the web page that estate agents were not to get in touch and tout for business. Can you guess which estate agent did indeed send an email? And received a cyber-rocket by return?