Dulwich Medical Centre information

SteveT

I had cause to go recently and asked for a list of their doctors which they supplied.

Then I asked if they had a list of their doctors with their qualifications listed.

"You will have to write in to the practice manager for that", said the receptionist

I scribbled a note and faxed it that day.

A week later I sent it again and when I went in I asked if they had received it and a "yes" came out of the office door.

A third one was about to be sent, when I received a letter saying our staff are fully qualified Southwark PCT ensure it.

The letter went on 'whilst we are happy to offer this information if asked we must receive an official Freedom of Information request:- http://www.opsi.gov.uk/Acts/acts2000/ukpga_20000036_en_1

Can I suggest you look at the following website to instruct you on how to make a freedom of Information request signed by Paul Hayes HR Manager.

Some people might think this is a long winded way of selecting a GP with the qualifications most suitable for your needs.

Request for information (1) In this Act any reference to a ?request for information? is a reference to such a request which?

(a) is in writing,

(b) states the name of the applicant and an address for correspondence, and

© describes the information requested.

(2) For the purposes of subsection (1)(a), a request is to be treated as made in writing where the text of the request?

(a) is transmitted by electronic means,

(b) is received in legible form, and

© is capable of being used for subsequent reference.

This is a small portion off the website which seemed the most relevent to my cause, but I do not know where I went wrong with my first two requests.

Anyone else out there think it a digusting way to treat people.

What if you wanted to discuss or analyse a mistake they had made?

How would that work if you cannot get something as basic as this?

I don't think much of the way they've put the letter, but (absent permission from the doctors to reveal details of their qualifications or them being posted on the site) I agree that you will have to make an FOIA request to get the information about qualifications that you want.

This is because a list of the doctors' qualifications is "personal information" under the Data Protection Act, and the DMC could be in breach of the act if they simply hand it over to you as that would count as processing (and wouldn't obviously be subject to any of the exceptions). However any individual doctor is also subject to the FOIA (part 45 of Sch 1), so the DMC can properly give the info to you (in spite of the DPA) if they go through the FOIA process and conclude that it is appropriate in accordance with the criteria in the act.

The simplest way to deal with the request would have been to get permission from the doctors to their qualifications being disclosed like this, but either they didn't think about this, or I guess one or more of the doctors refused. I also think they should simply have treated your original request as under the FOIA, but it's not uncommon for organisations to require a specific letter that says "this is a request under the FOIA" because of the charging provisions in the Act (i.e. you can be charged a fee for providing the information).

Edited to say - I see they are posted on the site after all - job done!