Anywhere to watch the Superbowl? (Lounged)

Natalious13

Hi all, any other Americans in ED know where I could watch the Superbowl locally? It doesn?t start until late next Sunday night (Feb 1) which makes me think I?d probably have to venture somewhere more central to find a place showing it.

But would much rather stay local - especially since I only want to see the half-time show anyway!

It's on BBC if you're only watching half time show. You also get the crap international commentary that assumes you know nothing about the game IIRC.

I'm off to Bodeans (Tower Hill rather than the usual Soho) to watch the game (with the halftime show as an added bonus) with lots of beer, ribs and friends.

Yup with this years Superbowl being in Tampa, Florida they could have kicked off at 3pm local time.. but no that was too early.. I mean we bend over backwards for British sports fans in the Far East by bringing forward our big matches so they can watch and still go out afterwards for drinks... how selfish!!

I'm having a few family and friends over to mine for my very own SuperBash. I usually go the Sports Cafe Piccadilly Circus but am cutting costs this year by hosting something at home. Better food, cheaper drinks, comfy sofas and more room makes it a no-brainer. :)-D Slightly envious of AppleSpider heading to Bodeans though.

I realise that this doesn't help you much, Natalious...the BBc is your saviour it would appear.

Oops, just noticed this thread was directed at Americans in ED....*backs out of thread slowly* ;-)

Horsebox, I'm not American either ;-)

I've done the Superbash in my house before with pals and it is fun - not to mention a damn sight more convenient to get to bed post-game rather than having to schlep home from town. Tho since all the pals have to schlep home from here or camp out, they're not always so keen on the idea.

We used to go to the Sports Cafe years ago but as the food deteriorated and the beer went up, we migrated to Bodeans/home watching. I think it was the time that the fajitas contained carrots and broccoli that we gave the SC up as a bad idea!

Enjoy the game!

Not quite - kickoff is just after 11.15pm and the halftime show should start 85-100 minutes in - so about 12.45. Should all be over by about 2.30am unless there's lots of drama/injuries or it's still close in the 4th quarter.

Think of those 'analysis' breaks as being perfect opportunities to grab more beer or food or nip to the loo without missing any of the game. The breaks don't usually bug me unless I'm actually at a stadium when they seem more noticeable. With friends around to discuss what we think the teams should do next and rip the coaches decisions, it all seems to pass quite quickly. It's only the appallingly bad Coors Light adverts on SKY that make me notice it's yet another break.

My American friends wonder why the Brits complain about 30 second timeouts and 3 hour games but will happily watch snooker and cricket which have meal and sleep breaks. :)-D

I've enjoyed watching the NFL when it has been broadcast in Widescreen HD as you do get to appreciate a lot more the tactics and different skills out on the pitch. I find it a completely different spectacle on a Sunday during the regular season with it being broadcast in SD in the boxed 4:3 aspect ratio - I just switch over to La Liga or a movie...

Anyway, I'll be Sky+'ing the game - although might watch the first half live

BTW, I thought last year's Superbowl was incredible going right down to the wire

Applespider Wrote:

My American friends wonder why the Brits complain about 30 second timeouts and 3 hour games but will happily watch snooker and cricket which have meal and sleep breaks. :)-D

I suppose its because its "continuous" whilwe they are playing!:))

I must say I find it impossible justifying a FIVE-DAY Cricket International Test Match that often ends in a Draw anywayB)

Last year's SB was a great game indeed, made even better by a Giants victory and the fact that they dashed the Pat's hopes of a 19 game run. Am typing this from my phone so can't be bothered to try and remedy the ignorance shown by TLS, other than to say it's his loss if he is unable to appreciate such a complex sport. Applespider, Steelers or Cardinals ftw?

Horsebox Wrote:

Am typing this from my phone so can't be bothered to try and remedy the ignorance shown by TLS, other than to say it's his loss if he is unable to appreciate such a complex sport.

I'm sure you are correct in that,in my ignorant state,I haven't the intelligence to understand the "complexity" of this fascinating game.

At least I'm in good company though as only a minute handful of The United Nations 178 Constitute Countries play or have the slightest interest in the game.

In addition they plugged and plugged The European League and told us how wonderful it was and it collapsed ignominously.

It collapsed in England and in London(population 7/8 Million) the Team had a regular attendance at the end of 10,000 for The UK Team.

They promoted this Sport on Channel 4 and Channel 5 and several other Channels extensively, and it had only Minority appeal, and was thus,removed from the Airways.

The ANNUAL Game at Wembley is watched by a very good crowd, as its a "One-Off"...I very much doubt if a 3rd/4th Game would draw much of a crowd.

So it seems only Non-ignorant Members of the Sporting Intelligensia like yourgoodself are equipped to understand and thus enjoy the complexity of this Sport Horsebox....

:))Congratulations!

Jah Lush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Never been able to watch an American football game

> without falling asleep through total boredom.

Thats YOUR loss if you are unable to appreciate such a complex sport. (please see the comment from Horsebox directed to me):))

Just ask Horsebox-He KNOWS about these things and LEARN Jah! LEARN and be ENLIGHTENED!B)