Why are Pubs so expensive in ED?

Mikecg

I have noticed that to drink a few beers in a Pub in Lordship Lane you need a considerable amount of dosh to get tipsy these days, most of them charge about ?3.50 for a pint, I could get smashed on a tenner a few years ago. atleast weatherspoon pubs are reasonable. I think they are having a laugh, we need a weatherspoon pub in LL.

we might need cheaper drinks - but we don't need a Wetherspoon. Besides one doesn't have to go far for a cheaper drink (hello Hoopers, CPT et al) - but people's stated desire for a cheaper drink seems ill-matched with their willingness to walk the extra yardage. Ergo, the drinks on LL aren't TOO expensive

I went to a theatre pub at Highbury called Hen and Chickens on Saturday.

I had a small glass of juice.

I kid you not, Two Pounds And Six Pence, and they gave me ice so I told them to take the ice out.

I don't think the pubs are more expensive in East Dulwich than most places in London.

Or if you fancy a bit more drama, there is always The Capitol in FH. Or if you prefer summer sun and outdoor benches the Fox on The Hill. But life is too short to be looking into the face of a "fiver for a curry and pint" and wondering who is being shafted to bring you that deal. Not least you for eating the over-salted, over saturated, broiler chicken

But enough about W'spoons. PubCos (not necessarily landlords or pubs themselves) charge too much for beer these days. This much is true. Let's see how they deal with dwindling customer base now they can't go for the easy option of automatically selling the venue for real estate.

I used to go to Islington in the early 1990s - i rented in Finsbury Park (affordable) but went for beers in more up market Islington - it was there I first came across a pint for ?2. Shocked I was, immediatley went to a payphone and told all and sundry what a rip off London/Islington was.

But I think that ED is not expensive - Prices go up, we get used to that, cheap pubs are not in general a good thing and certainly not a weatherspoons. You can always have a sneaky beer ot two before going out, that should get you started.

???? Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Wetherspoons are the f*cking pits, end of

xxxxxx

I say, quids, that's a bit harsh :))

Some Wetherspoons are not bad, though admittedly the food is crap.

Louisa Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> i'd rather go to the supermarket and get a

> s*itload of bottles and cans and stay home

> watching tv than go to a wetherspoons. anyway,

> Peckham has the Kentish Drovers.

>

> Louisa.

::o you ARE my neighbour! Every morning I hear the recycling bin being filled...

It is quite worrying when you can pay a lot less for drinks in a swanky posh bar up town than in the okish establishments on LL... *sighs*

It is a simple case of economics and supply & demand

If no one wanted to drink in East Dulwich then the price of a pint would drop to attract people in, however with a strong demand (as currently) then the price rises because people are willing to pay what is charged. Okay there is the economic factors involoved of rental of premises, licence fees, rates, staff costs, waste disposal costs, taxes and cost of raw materials (alcohol, food ..) however at the end of the day if people choose not to drink here then the price of beer / drinks would more then likely come down.

That said, I for one don't advocate bycotting drinking in the area, but it may explain part of the reason why East Dulwich appears to be more pricey then other areas.

Grrr

>however at the end of the day if people choose not to drink here then the price of beer / drinks would more then likely come down.<

Put up the prices.....keep the riff raff at bay I say...dig a moat as well....and erect a wall.......and a checkpoint...and grrrrr beer makes one quite irrational at times......

Woof

NOT all Wetherspoons are like the Kentish Drovers or the Capitol. Two in Exeter (I know some other forumites know Exeter) are excellent. Many of them have a large range of draft beers at very reasonable prices. When I went to a beer festival I chatted to the guys from CAMRA and on the whole they are impressed with the high profile that JDW give to real ales.

I remember once being in a pub that was very nice and being surprised when I found out it was a JD Ws. I can?t remember where or when it was though but I?m almost definitely sure that it is a genuine memory and not something I made up.

So there you go.