How do you percieve East Dulwich?

lgyaajh

I am a Geography student at Nottingham University and am currently doing my final year dissertation on the concept of Place and Local Identity in East Dulwich. I am interested in how people think of the area, how it has changed and why people feel certain ways.

Where do you feel is the boundary of East Dulwich?

Is it around Lordship Lane or does it spread from around the station?

Has gentrification been a good thing or a bad thing? Has anything been lost with the changes or is the area returning to the glory days before Sainsbury's?

Is it a nice place to live, if so why is it better than surrounding areas?

What makes East Dulwich stand out from other areas? Is there a strong sense of community and neighborhood in the area? More than other areas? Why?

Does East Dulwich have a local Identity? How would you describe the place?

Any response would be greatly appreciated, to hear the views of people who live in the area would be very useful for my research. Also it is quite possible that people's views may vary depending on how long they have lived in the area so any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Alex

ED boundary varies, do you mean as a placename or as a parliamentary seat or something else?

I'm not getting into any gentrification debates on here as I am always accused of being a divisive force. In terms of Sainsbury's I would say that the exist of this store from Peckham closer to ED was certainly a turning point in the demise of that area and the re-birth if you like of this area (ED) - and yes ED has to include the station as that is the name of the bloody place. ED is an ok place to live, nothing spectacular, ask most people even within a few miles from here what is ED like and you usually get a confused look, although the yummy brigade were certainly savvy when they decide to make the long and trecherous journey from SW postcodes to here, so maybe our place on the map is become slightly more defined now. I cetrtainly would not agree that there is a strong sense of community across the board, definitely a class barrier in my opinion. ED has for the most part been considered a place you pass through as opposed to want to spend time in for many many decades and I think that is changing, but it still has a terribly long way to go in matching the neighbouring Dulwich Village in terms of personality.

Louisa.

Its a bit stuffy, you know mothballs and pears soap. some of the people think they are better than others, working class folks making out that they are middle class. on the otherhand there are a few unsavory folks about aswell. Quite an eclectic mix really, just like most places I suppose.

Thanks for the responses. I am more interested in how people think of the area rather than the cold facts of drawing out where East Dulwich is on a map. Where do you feel that East Dulwich starts and ends? As I am doing a study on how people think of the area it is really about personal feelings about the area and how it is and has changed rather than simply which shops have changed and so on.

Thanks Alex

I would say in terms of demographics and social trends ED has undergone a significant change in the last decade. The post-war gradual multicultural flavour of most of inner London was significantly halted in ED comparable to other local areas in the last decade. The shift of middle class and predoninantly white families out of the SW belt has homogenised this small area considerably in the last decade. I am not just talking about the visible presence of faces along the streets of ED either, if you check out the Neighbourhood stats on the census website comparing 2001 to the 2005 update on race and ethnicity, southern parts of Southwark have bucked the overwhelming trend of most of inner London towards multiculturalism. This undoubtedly does have an impact on the area in my opinion. I think we have spoken about this before actually but in my opinion the whole class thing goes far beyond a few shops opening up, it's impact goes across the board of demographics for the local community.

Louisa.

Where do you feel is the boundary of East Dulwich? encompasses Dulwich hospital, Sainsburys over to peckham rye park back up to the plough.

Has gentrification been a good thing or a bad thing? Has anything been lost with the changes or is the area returning to the glory days before Sainsbury's? Wasnt here pre sainsburys so cant comment

Is it a nice place to live, if so why is it better than surrounding areas? I think ED is a fantastic place to live, its very easy to get around from a PT perspective, I feel I am out of the bustle of the city but have the marvellous option of curry houses, other restaurants, pubs, stalls/markets, shops to get gifts etc, cafes (right from greasy spoon up to a bit posh) etc etc right on my door step. I am bunkering down in ED for a while to come.

What makes East Dulwich stand out from other areas? Is there a strong sense of community and neighborhood in the area? I definitely think it has a community feel but one where if you put in then you get something back. I think the forum enables newcomers to meet people and feel 'part of something'.. I personally love going out for nights with the forum but not only that but also seeing people when I pop to the shops, get the train to work, walk in the park etc..

More than other areas? Ive lived in London for 4 years and Ive never felt a community feel pre ED.

Does East Dulwich have a local Identity? How would you describe the place? I think young (ish) i.e. 20 - 45, quite trendy but not too trendy, gay friendly, mum and baby friendly

I have lived in ED on and off since 1991.

I don't like all the changes, and I can't believe some of the prices charged in some of the shops, but on the whole I would say it has changed for the better. When I first moved here there wasn't a single pub I liked to drink in, and now there are loads. The "best" restaurant was the Dulwich Tandoori, and now I haven't been in there for years because there are so many other better choices.

I feel very comfortable here and I do think there is a community feel. However I also think there are various distinct and quite large communities which aren't apparent from a walk down Lordship Lane, but only when you go to a "birds of a feather" type of event :) And those communities don't all fit with the "trendy" "youngish" description above.

I was brought up in South London (not here) but I hadn't lived in London for a very long time before moving to ED, so I can't compare it to other areas of London. But it must be quite rare in London to know many of your neighbours and to walk down the main street and generally meet someone you know. Which is really nice.

And the music scene round here has really expanded, which is great!

:)

Snob.................

How can you describe an iner citi multi faceted culture rich environment like Peckham as Vile...

You should be sentenced to 50 lashes for your inability to adapt to the modern world.

I hope you have zero influence in political matters.

Mikecg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Snob.................

>

> How can you describe an iner citi multi faceted

> culture rich environment like Peckham as Vile...

>

> You should be sentenced to 50 lashes for your

> inability to adapt to the modern world.

>

> I hope you have zero influence in political

> matters.

Judging by Dulwichmums reply to my thread in the lounge about how the credit crunch is affecting business I dont think anyone needs to worry about her thinking Peckham is 'vile' or her political savvy !

Mikecg Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> iner citi multi faceted

> culture rich environment

Come on admit it, that?s just a direct crib from, Politically Correct Euphemism for Dummies.

DM knows about political correctness, specifically who would be the correct politicians to invite to a garden party.

I take it you don't find her amusing then, PeckhamRose? For what it's worth, I don't think Peckham's vile, but the area as a whole does have it's fair share of problems.

I guess I'm pretty much a postcode purist, and I reckon East Dulwich = SE22. Of course, East Dulwich has undergone a "gentrification" of sorts, which is why some people in surrounding areas prefer to align themselves with ED. But in a way this could be taken as a good thing, because parts of Peckham, Camberwell, Forest Hill have also got a bit nicer.

The northern part of Lordship Lane is definitely the centre of East Dulwich, the station is right on the border (Camberwell a couple of hundred metres to the north, Peckham a literally stone's throw to the East) and is a little out of the way. I don't necessarily think East Dulwich is "better" than surrounding areas... West Dulwich, Dulwich Village, and Herne Hill are probably all considered more desirable than East Dulwich. Camberwell has better nightlife and transport. But East Dulwich ticks the boxes for a lot of people, with mid-range family housing and lots of bars, restaurants and cafes suitable for the 30-somethings and young families.

The "gentrification" process has its opponents, especially amongst long standing residents who feel that local businesses are now geared to the influx of young-ish professionals and families. I think this is an understandable (and fairly common) reaction, although partially misguided, as realistically the area was in visible decline when I first visited in the mid 90s.

Putting the class and lack of sense of humour clap-trap to one side.

ED = SE22, the rest is "borders".

"Sense of community?" depends what your sense of community is. I feel that I am part of the community - mostly because of people I have met through the Forum. Lots of different backgrounds.

"Gentrification" - people have to live somewhere and whether they have come in from SW London or, like me, from the Black Country is largely irrelevant. People dont want to live in a dump (mostly) and will invest in improving their environment.

ED isnt "better" than its neighbours just different. Except, of course, for Peckham and Nunhead. Dulwich Village is actually West East Dulwich.

That is a very childish response to PeckhamRose, considering so many of your postings are so inflammatory on here. 'Vileness of Peckham'? Can you explain how that is appropriate on this thread? Is it 'vile' because it is economically disadvantaged and ethnically diverse? If not, please elaborate.

Where do you feel is the boundary of East Dulwich?

From Hornimans down to the Goose Green Roundabout. I have never really thought of anywhere pass that as ED, even if the station is there.

Has gentrification been a good thing or a bad thing? Has anything been lost with the changes or is the area returning to the glory days before Sainsbury's?

Good things have happened to the area in lots of ways, but I miss the ED that I grew up in, the differences are sometimes subtle, sometimes absolutely blatant. There are some businesses on Lordship Lane that I think are so horridly pretentious it's untrue!

Is it a nice place to live, if so why is it better than surrounding areas?

It was a great place to grow up, and these days it's probably a bit more twee, quiet and safe feeling than some surrounding areas. However, for far nicer housing stock / space, you're much better off moving slightly out, where you can still access the good bits of ED, but have a better living space.

What makes East Dulwich stand out from other areas?

I'm not sure it does to be quite honest. I guess word has got out that there are places to go on a Friday & Saturday night, so that brings people in from outside.

Is there a strong sense of community and neighborhood in the area?

Sure lots of people will say yes (and I'm not disagreeing as such), but frankly this is the thing I really miss about the ED of old. It used to be different, but nicer in my opinion.

More than other areas? Doubt it

Why? Again, I doubt it, but then again, this very forum is responsible for lots of people meeting in various forms.

Does East Dulwich have a local Identity?

Not quite sure what this means.

How would you describe the place?

Nice place, would prefer it somewhere between what it is now, and what it was in 80s & 90s.