Major mouse infestation in Dulwich

Is it just me or is there a major mouse infestation in Dulwich? I know of so many people who have mice in this area, mainly those living in the Victorian Terraces that are so common around here. Was wondering if anyone knows why this may be, could it be due to environmental changes, or have these old buildings always had mice? Luckily I have a cat, so am mice free (with the exception of the odd present from my Moggie!)

I've had a few mice, but I'm pretty sure my cat brings live ones in and gets bored with them, so they escape to another room and survive for a few days, or until I can wrestle them from the cat's mouth andput them out. So I think the cat is the cause, not the solution!

I have to say I'm no big fan of cats - this view was compounded a couple of years back when I lived with someone who owned one. One morning I went into the kitchen in only my dressing gown and promptly stood on something that went crack like I'd just crushed a sea shell. I looked down to find it was the head of a mouse.

I remember my mothers cat, he was a big old brute and would kill anything, I once heard a sort of screaming sound in the garden, When I checked it out I found it was a frog the cat was attacking with his paws, no lie, I was amazed at the sound it was making, chased the cat away and put the frog in the pond. another time the cat was stroling around the garden as if it were king of the manor, I noiticed something in its mouth so I cornerd the cat forced his mouth open, low and behold it was a small bird, I managed to free the bird which amazingly flew off out of site. thats the thing with cats, they never loose their instinct to hunt, incredible really. the thing actually drown years later in the pond, must have tried to catch a fish and fell in. it was feb and the pond was frozen over when I found him, when I fished it out it was a stiff as a board and weighed a ton, poor old mog he was like silvester, he never gave in.

I have lived in 2 houses in ED - the first one had heaps of mice - the new one has none (this year anyway), but yes I think it is quite usual - you need to find where they get in and block it.

In the first house btw a family lived next door and when they moved - no more mice - the new people who moved in said the next door house, which they bought at a huge discount, was initially horribly dirty and probably attracted the mice.

There are several threads on this forum about mice in ED, including the best ways to get rid of them.

I have them at the moment, probably because my house is absolutely filthy Mick Mac (or more likely because they have come in from the cold, plus my neighbour had them).

:))

Hi,

The problem is not just in East Dulwich. It might be the current climate but I have seen loads of mice everywhere I go. Although they appear to be field mice, I think they like foxes have become more urbanised.

Another problem with the increase in rats and mice is that part of the hospital was pulled down and they relocated. Also, having relocated closer to chicken and kebab shops they seem to flourish on the waste left by people on the streets and the pouring of waste chicken fat and kebab fat into the sewers by the owners of these shops. You have to remember... we use the tube, they use the sewers.

Regards,

Libra Carr.

Sue Wrote:

>

> I have them at the moment, probably because my

> house is absolutely filthy Mick Mac (or more

> likely because they have come in from the cold,

> plus my neighbour had them).

>

> :))

Sue - this house next door to us had eveything - mice, beatles and goodness knows what else - Until they moved, we did not understand why we had mice - and I don't mean one or two - the pest control people could not understand it either. But when a young couple moved in next door and we saw inside our neighbours house we understood - and once the various wildlife had been extracted nextdoor then we had no further mice - the house has been rented out now for 2 years and there has not been a single mouse.

So sometimes a neighbouring house can be where they are getting in especially if its a terrace, but its best to try to locate where they are getting in if you want to stop the problem permanently.

absentminded Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> If you can get to where the pipes come up, shove

> some wire wool in the gap. The mice generally

> can't chew through it.....

And if you don't have wire wool I think kitchen aliminium foil can do the trick also.

mrs f Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Oh we have mice at the moment.... we live in a

> 2nd/3rd floor flat & can't block where they are

> getting in as it's where the heating pipes come

> up.. we are just trying the humane traps (2 so

> far!)

You have my sympathy. We are ok now but in the past have used the humane traps. Caught some and deposited them in a place far away. However ultimately you have to consider you are at war with the mice and well basically kill them. Not nice to do but you have no choice.