Trains for East Dulwich

newbie09

Hi,

We are looking to move to East Dulwich around the Barry Road area - the town itself seems lovely, seacow is amazing!, only concern is the public transport going through places like Peckham / Queens road.

The number 12 bus on a Saturday night was a bit un-nerving, but heard the 176 might be a better option?

But wondered about the trains from East Dulwich what is your experiences? I often work late and wondered what it would be like for a woman going home late on their own? Is there much trouble on the trains when football matches are on?

Any thoughts good or bad really appreciated.

The evening trains from London Bridge to East Dulwich are always busy right up until the final train which I think leaves London Bridge shortly before midnight. Most people tend to get off at East Dulwich. I reckon the only thing to worry about is someone whose had a bit too much to drink squirting their ketchup over you rather than their Burger King meal ;-)

Not noticed any problem with the football apart from the train is more packed than usual in the hour before kick off.

Yes, you may find the 176, 40 and 185 are more relaxing bus journeys.

i live halfway between lordship lane and barry road, so either walk/bus to ED station or catch the no. 12 bus to Peckham Rye station. as a female, i can say that i have found both are absolutely fine, even late at night.

the trains stay busy and yes most people get off at ED! only a couple of people get on/off at south bermondsey and queens rd. then quite a few also get off at p.rye. there's been a large upgrading of lighting in the ED area over the last year, making it feel much safer walking home - before the old lamps left the streets still very dark. i have no problem walking by myself or getting the no. 12 bus.

I've regularly caught late night trains back to ED without any problem whatsoever. The only 'issue' with an undesirable was Pwhen I caught the non-stopper early one evening. When the train crawled through Peckham Queen Street without intending to stop there a chap who for all the world looked like a cartoon parody of a rapper pulled the emergency release on the door and nonchalantly walked off. I briefly admired his gall, before becoming frustrated by the train being delayed for 20 minutes whilst the BTP were called.

My one concern is that the trains don't run nearly late enough after a night on the town and the buses from London Bridge stop at 00:00 exactly. So if you happen to miss the last train at 23:46 and don't have the gumption to make it to the bus stop some distance away the taxi is the only option. If you're wondering the cheapest (to Whateley Road) I've been charged on the meter is ?14.50 and the most ?23.00.

When we first moved to East Dulwich I was also concerned about getting off the train at East Dulwich late at night - thinking "I don't like the look of the pathway off the train'. When we moved here I realised that the station is so busy at all times, that my fears of having the train/the platform to myself at any time was quite laughable. You have no chance of getting off the train in anything other than a crush.