Will tomorrow also be a "snow day?"

jocelyn

Can anyone shed some light on whether they think tomorrow will also be a "work from home" day. I know some buses are up and running centrally but I doubt they have started round here yet. The roads around here still seem pretty dodgy!

I saw on the news more snow to come but maybe it will have all gone by the morning!

If tomorrow = today I'm going in to work. Today was great and a real treat but I need to crack on. I'll be wearing my boots and trekking in to Blackfriars

Looking at the forecast in TV at the mo, I would guess the snow bit will be largely over tomorrow, but ice and flooding problems will have a knock-on impact on travel. I suspect about half the numbers on a snow day today will do similar tomorrow. Either decision seems ok to me..

That's the first 6 threads in the ED section and the first 3 in the lounge ALL ABOUT FUCKING-SNOW. I dragged my arse in today and I'll do the same tomorrow. Not everything comes to a grinding halt just because of a set of weather conditions that were predicted days ago. Get it together, ED: The wanky demographic of this area is s'posed to be young professional, I wonder if we might pay that last word a tad more than just lip service.

If someone would like to advise me on how long it will take me to walk to East Croydon, I would be willing to have a go as long as it is not more than 2 hours each way - otherwise it will be counterproductive.

In the past I have walked to Waterloo, Blackfriars etc without worrying about it, but EC might be a trek too far. I might wish to be professional but I don't wish to be insane.

bignumber5 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's the first 6 threads in the ED section and

> the first 3 in the lounge ALL ABOUT @#$%&-SNOW. I

> dragged my arse in today and I'll do the same

> tomorrow. Not everything comes to a grinding halt

> just because of a set of weather conditions that

> were predicted days ago. Get it together, ED: The

> wanky demographic of this area is s'posed to be

> young professional, I wonder if we might pay that

> last word a tad more than just lip service.

Bit harsh BIG5. I've been working and commuting for many many many years and this is the first day EVER I've not been able to get to work because of the snow. Why? Absolutely no infrastructure. That's quite shocking. I'm hearing an identical report from friends in Brighton. No buses/trains whatsoever. This is the first time in my memory that all buses have been off the road in snow. At the moment my only option to get to work is to walk and frankly, it's just too far.

Pretty much what I'm hearing from people is that if there was transport (no matter how limited) they would have gone to work. It wouldn't have been easy - but that's what we do best - we make an effort and then we moan about it.

Above is an angry post written as my upstairs neighbour and his mates let their snowball fight spill into the communal hall, caking the place in snow and possibly knackering the front door in the process of slamming it continuously in it's secondary role as a shield.

Giggirl, wee quinnie, both quite right - depends on many factors and is quite reasonable for many people, as well as out of both character and control for many.

I'm just already very, very bored of the snow. Will retreat back to my cave and continue with the all new, improved, 2009 version of my plan to finally steal Christmas.

http://www.nycny.com/movies/the_grinch/grinch.jpg

Not sure. I don't fancy walking to Chelsea and back from the Horniman area if the pavements/roads are in the same state as they are today. Do-able if it was life and death, otherwise not. I was supposed to be out of the office tomorrow in any case at a conference which has since been cancelled due to the weather so had sent some work home to do in case it finished early.

I've got a few things that I can work on at home - performance reviews, initial specifications that I need to think through so as long as I can log into work remotely every so often to check my mail, then I may not attempt the commute. So it might be a snow day in terms of not making it to the office, but I'll still try for the 'professional' actually doing some work. And my boss has already been in touch telling me not to stress about hiking in for the sake of it.

Ah that warm and meaty smell of gently burning martyrs wafts over ED teasing the nostrils of the families enjoying themselves in the snow.

I went for a walk round Peckham Rye, took a few photos, came home and did some work, I will do similar tomorrow. If I had to go into the office, I wouldnt, bloody ridiculous. Of course those involved in the provision of health care are in a different situation. you have a vocation to nurture.

Otherwise, relax people. Its not the 1980s anymore, we now know that profit is BAD and "The Man" really doesnt give a toss about us wage-slaves. Have a day off courtesy of Gaia.

bignumber5 Wrote:

> That's the first 6 threads in the ED section and

> the first 3 in the lounge ALL ABOUT @#$%&-SNOW. I

> tomorrow. Not everything comes to a grinding halt

> just because of a set of weather conditions that

> were predicted days ago. Get it together, ED: The

you missed cracking snow ball and snow men snow in dulwich park.

if we have another snow day tomorrow, absolutely no way will i be walking to canary wharf, granted i may not be at the pub getting absolutely leathered but i will be indoors.. no one pays me enough to walk to can wharf to get to an office where sod all people are in and then i need to try and get home again..

I for one am hoping for another snow day and i can stay indoors with my blackberry and watch tv!

Unless even more of the transport network is down today, you probably won't have to walk the whole way.

I walked to Brixton, which took me nearly twice what it usually does, but was do-able, and reasonably pleasant. Then I took the Victoria line to Victoria, then walk to South Ken. On the way home, I even got the district line to Victoria.

bignumber5 Wrote:

ALL ABOUT @#$%&-SNOW. I

> tomorrow. Get it together, ED: The

Get it together? Wanky? S'posed? And then 'young professional'? I'm guessing you're not a captain of industry in the mould of SrAlan Sugar. Why so angry? Unless of course you're a rapper. Don't sweat it. You could take a 'snow day' off, and then you can do a double shift of telling-it-like-is when you get back.

It'll be all right.

My son managed to get from Southend on Sea to Brixton to work today and back home again without too much delay - made me feel a bit rubbish about being loathe to walk to New Cross for work. Thankfully work was closed, but won't complain about lazy young people again in a hurry!